I want to know more about Lucas Long

Frobby

o

Entered a tie game in the 8th inning, and threw 3 shutout frames (the 8th, 9th, and 10th innings) on no hits.

In addition to his ERA being well under 2.00, Long's WHIP for the season is now under 1.000.

9 OUTS: l  3 Strikeouts, 3 Popouts, 2 Groundouts, 1 Lineout

LUCAS LONG )))))))))) (vs. AA-Altoona, 6/04)

IP:llllll3

H:..llll 0 ll 

R:))lll 0

BB:ll. 1

SO:llll 3

Pitches: )l 43 )(29 )Strikes)14 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 1.75 )l (AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l) 0.993 )l (AA-Bowie) )  46.33 IP  (46 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .221 )l (AA-Bowie) ) 38 for 172

PITCHES BY INNING

14 ll(10 lllStrikes, ll.llBalls) 

91 .l(61  .Strikes, ll 3 .llBalls)

20 (13  .Strikes, l)l.llBalls)

o

o

7 innings of 1-run ball, on only 89 pitches.

Long's outstanding ERA and WHIP improved even more than it already was.

21 OUTS: l  10 Groundouts (Including 1 Double Play)5 Strikeouts, 4 Flyouts, 1 Popout

LUCAS LONG )))))))))) (vs. AA-Trenton, 6/09)

IP:..llll7

H:..llll 3 ll (1 Double, 2 Singles)

R:))lll 1

BB:ll. 1

SO:llll 5

Pitches: )l 90 )(54 )Strikes)36 )Balls)

2017 ERA: )l 1.69 )l (AA-Bowie)

2017 WHIP: l) 0.938 )l (AA-Bowie) )  53.33 IP  (50 H/BB)

2017 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .210 )l (AA-Bowie) )  41 for 195

PITCHES BY INNING

13 ll(81 lllStrikes, . 5 lllBalls) 

18 .l(12  .Strikes, . 6 .llBalls)

10 ..(71  .Strikes, lll.l.Balls)

13 l.(61 lllStrikes, ll.llBalls) 

12 ..(71 lllStrikes, ll..lBalls) 

12 ..(81 lllStrikes, .l..lBalls) 

12 ..(61 lllStrikes, ...l.Balls) 

o

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In Baltimore?

I'm not sure if your question is serious or kidding, but no, I just meant at Bowie.    Long has made three starts this year, and they've all been good.     But the other two times, he went right back to the bullpen.

April 9: 5.2 IP, 1 R.

May 5: 7.0 IP, 2 R

June 9: 7.0 IP, 1 R

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He keeps getting results but it seems like he's not highly regarded by the organization.    However, if he keeps putting up the numbers there is no denying him a rotation spot at Bowie and potential promotion later on.   I would assume he's a command and control guy with marginal stuff but I don't really know.

Tony liked him better than that when he saw him in May.   http://www.orioleshangout.com/2017/05/11/scouting-bowie-may-11-means-start-long-shines/

• Upvote 1

In a system full of disappointing pitching performances thus far, it's time to challenge Long and Scott.  AAA is full of scrubs.  In fact so is the big club.  lol.  I'd rather see Long and Scott in short relief up here rather than these guys that have been relievers their whole professional career.  

Watching his relief outing today.

First inning: all fastballs except one breaking ball I believe.

The hitters knew what was coming but couldn't do anything with it, he kept it down in the zone and brought it in on the hands effectively. 2 swinging strikes with the fastball, ended up getting all 3 outs with gbs to the left side of the infield, 3 up, 3 down.

Edited by phillyOs119
Typo
  • Upvote 1

2nd inning: he allowed a run on two hits but was more dominant than the first inning. Proof that you can't just scout the box score.

The two singles he allowed were a th through the SS-3B hole and a bloop into left field that if Mullins, Gonzalez or Davis was out there probably would have caught but Stewart couldn't quite get there.

The most telling AB in the inning was against a lefty he got ahead in the count with two fastballs spotted just off the plate and then finished him off with a change up that dropped out of the zone.

Also, got a second strikeout with a fastball down in the zone.

The control is plus, extremely repeatable delivery, and the command is plus as well, he was putting the ball where he wanted it.  

Also nice to see was a sweeping slider to a RH batter for a called strike.

• Upvote 1

3rd inning: more of the same.

Got another swinging K on the fastball just off the corner that he set up by coming in on the hands for a ball the pitch before.

In total, 3Ks all swinging, 5 gb outs, and 1 popout. 

Extremely dominant, only saw 1 good swing and it was a foul straight back on a fastball middle middle.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

3rd inning: more of the same.

Got another swinging K on the fastball just off the corner that he set up by coming in on the hands for a ball the pitch before.

In total, 3Ks all swinging, 5 gb outs, and 1 popout. 

Extremely dominant, only saw 1 good swing and it was a foul straight back on a fastball middle middle.

Thanks for sharing. Seems like we have two really good arms in AA in Scott and Long. Long seems to being used all over the place. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm really curious what the Orioles' plan is with Long.    He's had three very good starts, and each time has gone right back to pitching in relief.    

I don't know if his secondary pitches are good enough for him to start in the bigs currently.  His fastball, control, and command will definitely play one time through a lineup though.