Adam Jones and Double Plays

brianod

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Adam but he has really gotten on my nerves lately with inning ending double plays to kill rally's. So, I looked it up. In 21 games, Adam has hit into 6 double plays. If he continues the pace and plays every game from here on out, he would break the major league record of 36, set by Jim Rice by 4. So, I think it's time for a bunt or two. I think it's time for some coaching. Even team leaders have to be told when they need to make an adjustment imo.

It wasn't the same year but in 1985 Cal Ripken hit into 32 GDP and didn't even lead the league. Thanks to Jim Rice's 35 GDP.

• 1 month later...
I love Adam but he has really gotten on my nerves lately with inning ending double plays to kill rally's. So, I looked it up. In 21 games, Adam has hit into 6 double plays. If he continues the pace and plays every game from here on out, he would break the major league record of 36, set by Jim Rice by 4. So, I think it's time for a bunt or two. I think it's time for some coaching. Even team leaders have to be told when they need to make an adjustment imo.
Yeah, a couple of DPs were on balls he sometimes beats out. Still, 6 DPs this early is just one of those things that happens. He won't hit into 60, or 40 for that matter. 21 is his career high.

Jones now has 9 DP's in 75 games, so on pace for 19 or so, which is a pretty normal number. He doesn't even lead the team -- that "honor" goes to Schoop, with 11. J.J. Hardy has four, all of which have occurred in the nine games since he came off the DL. As I said, a spate of DP's in a short period is just one of those things that can happen in baseball.

Jones now has 9 DP's in 75 games, so on pace for 19 or so, which is a pretty normal number. He doesn't even lead the team -- that "honor" goes to Schoop, with 11. J.J. Hardy has four, all of which have occurred in the nine games since he came off the DL. As I said, a spate of DP's in a short period is just one of those things that can happen in baseball.

Jones has been on 9 DP's for the season for several weeks now, right ???

I seem to remember making a post in a game thread a few weeks ago, and at the time, Jones and Schoop were each tied with 9 DP's apiece.

He's also in a position where once a game he's guaranteed not to hit into a DP. That and he has 10 home runs in the month of June. Not going to be hitting into DP's when they're obviously going over the fence.

I seem to remember making a post in a game thread a few weeks ago, and at the time, Jones and Schoop were each tied with 9 DP's apiece.

He has not hit into a DP since May 24, and before that, he hadn't hit into one since May 8.

May 24th. 32 games ago. After this thread was made he had one on May 8th and one on May 24th. So 2 in 49 games.

He's also in a position where once a game he's guaranteed not to hit into a DP. That and he has 10 home runs in the month of June. Not going to be hitting into DP's when they're obviously going over the fence.

Your point about batting leadoff is well-taken, but it's not like he never comes up with runners on base. He's knocked in 29 runs in the leadoff spot, so 19 of those were runners on base. Last year, Oriole leadoff hitters hit into 13 double plays, and in 2014 it was 11.

He has not hit into a DP since May 24. Before that, he hadn't hit into one since May 8.

May 24th. 32 games ago. After this thread was made he had one on May 8th and one on May 24th. So 2 in 49 games.

Thanks.

That's even longer than I had thought. I thought that it had been about 3 weeks, when in fact it has been 5 weeks.

Time flies when you're rooting for the Orioles.

Sometimes a bit of a symptom of hard contact that's not elevated. You certainly don't want to soften the contact, so it's just something you have to live with sometimes. Unless of course you're in a situation with a man on third, so elevating the ball is really the thing that matters most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived