Time to DFA Ubaldo

LookitsPuck

Does anyone think that possibly it could be partly our organization? Ubaldo blows but wouldn't shock me at all if he went somewhere else and was fixed. His issue is mechanical, that's what coaches are for.

Even when we signed him some rival GM said Ubaldo wouldn't have success because of his delivery. He was bad in 2011 and 2012 and we tried to fix him last year but he went back to his old delivery. THere was a reason the Indians did not want to re-sign him.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone think that possibly it could be partly our organization? Ubaldo blows but wouldn't shock me at all if he went somewhere else and was fixed. His issue is mechanical, that's what coaches are for.

Well considering he pitched decent last year and this isn't the first time this problem has arose (also happened in CLE and what lead to him being traded to CLE from COL) I'd say it's Ubaldo.

Maybe. If I had to guess,it is his lack of command coupled with his drop in velocity. Can all that be corrected by a pitching coach? Possibly, but I doubt it. I think the bottom line is that when you don't know where it's going and your throw 97, you can be very effective. When you don't know where it's going and you throw 90, you are a AA pitcher.

Maybe. If I had to guess,it is his lack of command coupled with his drop in velocity. Can all that be corrected by a pitching coach? Possibly, but I doubt it. I think the bottom line is that when you don't know where it's going and your throw 97, you can be very effective. When you don't know where it's going and you throw 90, you are a AA pitcher.

No. A pitching coach matters little.

You can win games throwing at 90 MPH. You can't when you don't throw strikes.

I said it in an older Ubaldo thread. When Jim Palmer says on live television that a

guy stinks, it would be wise to take notice. He made no bones of telling the audience

that it didn't seem that Ubaldo had any command of pitches or his delivery. And it

should, indeed, have been noticed that Cleveland didn't even talk to him when he made

free-agency. He was an expensive mistake. I don't believe we will be signing high money

pitchers for a long-time as a result. Either he trips in a pot-hole in the parking lot or he

gets DFA'd... there are no other choices. He stinks in his present form and is useless as

a starter or reliever... mop up, maybe. I just don't see it. I think he's a roster spot

ready to be vacated.

No. A pitching coach matters little.

No blanket statement like that is ever correct. There are 30+ major league pitching coaches. I would bet one of them could make Ubaldo worth his salary for the next 1 1/2 years. Not ours and not most. But one or two probably could turn him into a 4.75 era innings eater.

You can win games throwing at 90 MPH. You can't when you don't throw strikes.

You can't win throwing 90 unless you have excellent command or a couple of silly breaking pitches. I never said you can't win throwing 90, I said Ubaldo can't because he doesn't have the necessary command.

Just like a manager only makes a difference for 3-4 games a year. BS.

Agree to disagree.

I find it likely that if Ubaldo is DFAed his career is over. No one is going to waste their time trying to fix him. It isn't like he has great stuff that all he needs is a few pointers and some confidence.

I really don't understand how buck throws these games away. The Orioles had no chance tonight, no chance. Can't afford throw away games.

What would you have done differently? Wright isn't much better. Once he made the decision to start Ubaldo he could not have removed him much earlier.

Archived