Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

The wunderkind suggested they might sneak into the O's top 30.

Let's take a look at some top Orioles Prospects

#10 Chris Lee 3.29 ERA with 98/59 K/BB in 145 innings AA

#11 Lazaro Leyva 2.90 ERA with 36/16 K/BB in 40 innings

#12 David Hess 3.64 ERA with 122/57 K/BB in 143 innings AA

#13 Parker Bridwell 3.99 ERA with 93/38 K/BB in 97 innings AA (elbow trouble)

Now let's take a look at the recent acquisitions

Trevor Belicek 2.43 ERA with 73/13 K/BB in 85 innings A

Brandon Barker 3.08 ERA with 183/65 K/BB in 228 innings AA

Hmmmmm...

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Than why give him up for a comp pick?

To me that is the simple test, how valuable can these two be for the Braves to rate a pick as being more valuable than the two players and millions.

We are basally hoping the Braves grossly mis-evaluated their own players.

Why do you assume that the Braves valuation of them is better than the Orioles valuation of them? Alternatively, why do you think the Orioles undervalued the pick rather than the Braves have overvalued the pick? The two teams are in different places with different needs. The Orioles may value them more highly because they fill a perceived need in the organization that the Braves did not feel they needed.

Farnsworth from Fangraphs thinks Barker has a shot at sneaking into the MLB.

Seems like Barker is similar to how Tyler Wilson was viewed, although I haven't read anything about his makeup. You can lump Barker in with our list of SP prospects that don't profile as a TOR guy but still could be back end types

Macfarland AAA-I still have hope, and hope he's not hurt bad

Gunkel AAA

Lee AA

Hess AA

Bridwell AA

Garcia AA

Means A+

Long A+

Hopefully Harvey and Peralta are TOR types. Kline and Fenter are hurt. Scott, Belicek(new guy), Cleavinger seem like really good relief prospects.

Why do you assume that the Braves valuation of them is better than the Orioles valuation of them? Alternatively, why do you think the Orioles undervalued the pick rather than the Braves have overvalued the pick? The two teams are in different places with different needs. The Orioles may value them more highly because they fill a perceived need in the organization that the Braves did not feel they needed.

I would think that any team would be at a significant advantage when evaluating players in their own system.

I guess 'ol KLaw is a little slow on the uptake.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash">#Braves</a> designate LHP Brian Matusz for assignment</p>? Atlanta Braves (@Braves) <a href="

">May 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So how long until the Jays pick him up?

I would think that any team would be at a significant advantage when evaluating players in their own system.

But the flip side of that is evaluating the pick. You can't tell if the trade is good or bad without valuing both sides. Just because the Braves think the pick is more valuable to them than the two arms doesn't mean that the arms aren't more valuable to the Orioles than the pick would be.

Not like they couldn't DFA him.

They valued cash over the pick.

Don't sign Gallardo and Alvarez if you can't afford to cut a guy in May.

Or better yet don't offer Matusz arbitration to begin with. I am surprised the league allows these deals.

DD is probably one of the 5 worst GMs in baseball.

So by taking us to the playoffs twice and not finishing under .500 is bad since 2012, then I'm ok with being bad. Getting two good arms for Matusz and a pick that is essentially worth $90K, and getting rid of his salary is bad. Please explain your logic.

But the flip side of that is evaluating the pick. You can't tell if the trade is good or bad without valuing both sides. Just because the Braves think the pick is more valuable to them than the two arms doesn't mean that the arms aren't more valuable to the Orioles than the pick would be.

Two players and several million dollars.

So by taking us to the playoffs twice and not finishing under .500 is bad since 2012, then I'm ok with being bad. Getting two good arms for Matusz and a pick that is essentially worth $90K, and getting rid of his salary is bad. Please explain your logic.

So Andrew Friedman is incompetent?

Archived