Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

Selling picks is never a good sign, imo. The way you get cheap labor is to use those picks wisely.

How much are the three pitchers obtained yesterday making? How long in total are they under team control? There is a math problem to follow I think.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Signing Matusz in the first place was the glaring mistake. Not a disaster like Gallardo, or a failure like Parra, but bad.

Remember all the "we'll have 8 picks in the top 100" stuff? That was fun.

I would have non-tendered him in the 2014-2015 offseason.

How much are the three pitchers obtained yesterday making? How long in total are they under team control? There is a math problem to follow I think.

None of them are prospects, all are irrelevant organizational depth. So none of that will matter.

None of them are prospects, all are irrelevant organizational depth. So none of that will matter.

Ah. You think they are less valuable than that kid who will be picked. I see. Andy MacPhail always said you needed to gain the numerical leverage in trades. To give yourself more chances to win.

Ah. You think they are less valuable than that kid who will be picked. I see. Andy MacPhail always said you needed to gain the numerical leverage in trades. To give yourself more chances to win.

I value them about the same way I value Sharlon Schoop.

So, yes I'd prefer the pick and the slot money.

Exactly. Looking at the stats for the two arms we got, either one is as much as I'd expect from a 76th... and they're a few years closer to the majors.

I thought I read that the two pitchers were drafted later than the 10th round. It seems to me that you should be able to do better picking a player at 76.

This was more about a salary dump and we sold the pick for the salary dump and received a couple long shot arms. Just how I see it.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-orioles-sold-a-draft-pick-again/

Cameron seems to think it's a relatively fair trade given the fact that the O's are in first place and this trade gives them roster flexibility.

I would have thought he would have hated it more, to be honest.

Since Atlanta DFA'd Matusz he means little the O's could have DFA'd him....so the move has to be about the pick for money.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-orioles-sold-a-draft-pick-again/

Cameron seems to think it's a relatively fair trade given the fact that the O's are in first place and this trade gives them roster flexibility.

I would have thought he would have hated it more, to be honest.

Wow. If Cameron, of all people, says the Orioles made a fair trade, we must have really gotten the better end of the deal! :laughlol:

This I agree with.

I just don't think cash is the right price. (unless it's a lost of cash)

Certainly a significant portion of this deal's merit hinges on what gets done with that $3 million that was just recouped from the major league budget.

Maybe it's going to go towards cutting Kim? Wouldn't that be something.

I mean, it's a very good writeup. In particular this synopsis:

And if that?s the case, then all the Orioles are really doing is trading a prospect for some help at the big-league roster, which is exactly what we expect teams in first place to do. This is a new and somewhat more complicated way of doing it, but the end result may very well just be the same as swapping a prospect for a veteran upgrade at the deadline.

...but the argument I've originally had is that why even tender Matusz a contract? Most of us were clamoring for the O's not to considering the depth they had in the minors for relievers that can, you know, get out both lefties AND righties...and paying Matusz $4m is really unnecessary.

Now we're losing a draft pick (bottom 2nd rounder) and the extra allocated bonus money. Which was totally unnecessary.

Archived