Roch: Matusz Traded (along with draft pick)

Can_of_corn

Can someone more knowledgeable than myself say what Matusz did right in 2009 and 2010 that he could no longer do thereafter? It's not like it was a terribly small sample size. I know sometimes pitchers don't pan out or get figured out, but did he lose a pitch or velocity or something? Something mechanical? It's hard not to think that the Orioles messed him up somehow with that talent.

I don't think he ever sulked or complained. He could have. Especially since the Orioles may have developed him poorly like they have others and he was trapped on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He lost his velocity and his changeup.

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good find. Rep. Obviously, those guys were not good.

The guys acquired yesterday is a better haul than what we got back in the Webb deal, but the bottom line is both trades were salary dumps. Let's hope the salary is used for a decent upgrade to maintain what has been a promising start to the season.

So how would you acquire young talent if you aren't allowed to spend on large-dollar international signings and you've decided draft picks are no good?

I haven't decided they are no good. I'm focusing on the three picks left that are higher than the one DD just dealt...while recognizing that the baseball draft bananas. I get the idea of giving yourself more chances to hit in the draft. The chances ofhitting on one of those three higher picks is markedly better than the pick just traded which historically won't mean anything to Braves.

I was all for Ubaldo and Cruz. For Fowler. Against Alvarez. Ambivalent about Gallatdo. Those were the picks I'm most worried about.

What sucks is that we hit on Matusz. He was up in the majors and unbelievable for half a season. And then it fell apart and I've never seen a good explanation for why. We did everything right with a premium draft slot and...blah.

He lost his velocity and his changeup.

Kind of young to lose velocity. Is change up a technique issue or the fastball speed getting too close to the change up speed the problem?

The guys acquired yesterday is a better haul than what we got back in the Webb deal, but the bottom line is both trades were salary dumps. Let's hope the salary is used for a decent upgrade to maintain what has been a promising start to the season.

No doubt. I assume that this year, with the much better team and the much larger payroll. I assume that Dan has an idea how he would like to spend the money.

Kind of young to lose velocity. Is change up a technique issue or the fastball speed getting too close to the change up speed the problem?

Not very strong, college pitcher, past his prime years. Which are through age 25 for velocity.

A couple more things CoC.

Do you find it ironic that the #76 pick that the O's sold and you are so concerned about, for two arms that you believe have no value at all, and the $3million in cash that was saved...also cost us another pick that seems to have gone unnoticed by you? The #4 pick overall, in 2008.

And, I have no idea if anything like this happened, but would the following conversation change your opinion? At all?

Dan: Buck, if we are going to manage all of the obstacles this offseason, we are going to have to have someone else for you to use against Big Papi. We are going to need those dollars elsewhere.

Buck: Dan, I want him. I trust him, Brady believes in him. The guys want him. If we lose Dod, I will have to have him.

Dan: Ok, but I believe we can get more bang for those bucks, Buck.

Buck: Look, lets get through Spring Training and the first month or so. If you still feel that way and he hasn't earned it. Dump him.

Again, not saying that happened. But it could have.

A couple more things CoC.

Do you find it ironic that the #76 pick that the O's sold and you are so concerned about, for two arms that you believe have no value at all, and the $3million in cash that was saved...also cost us another pick that seems to have gone unnoticed by you? The #4 pick overall, in 2008.

And, I have no idea if anything like this happened, but would the following conversation change your opinion? At all?

Dan: Buck, if we are going to manage all of the obstacles this offseason, we are going to have to have someone else for you to use against Big Papi. We are going to need those dollars elsewhere.

Buck: Dan, I want him. I trust him, Brady believes in him. The guys want him. If we lose Dod, I will have to have him.

Dan: Ok, but I believe we can get more bang for those bucks, Buck.

Buck: Look, lets get through Spring Training and the first month or so. If you still feel that way and he hasn't earned it. Dump him.

Again, not saying that happened. But it could have.

No I don't find it ironic.

No it wouldn't change anything if I found out that Buck pressured Dan into making certain decisions. Buck works for Dan, the buck doesn't stop with Buck.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mark Appel allowed 4 h, 4 r, 2 bb in two thirds IP for Lehigh Valley today. Velocity down significantly too. Topped at 89</p>— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) <a href="

">May 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Mark Appel allowed 4 h, 4 r, 2 bb in two thirds IP for Lehigh Valley today. Velocity down significantly too. Topped at 89</p>— Jim Salisbury (@JSalisburyCSN) <a href="

Sounds like he's hurt.

You mean perennial top 100 prospect Mark Appel. This is impossible.

All hype. Career 5+ ERA in the minors.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"We're a better organization today than we were yesterday." -Buck Showalter</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="

">May 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"We're a better organization today than we were yesterday." -Buck Showalter</p>— Brittany Ghiroli (@Britt_Ghiroli) <a href="
">May 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

Ouch. Tell us what you really feel, Buck.

Archived