Seriously, we can't plate one run in 5 innings against 5 mostly mediocre relievers?

FanSince88

There you have it. If the Orioles get a weak bloop that drives in two runs in one of the situations, they win.....and this thread doesn't exist.

But trying to swing for the fences will not get you a bloop. Jones admits they are all trying to hit homers to look good. Maybe they can do one of those cool handshakes.

He was clearly frustrated during his post-game MASN interview and he had every right to be. The Orioles adopted the mindset that they would just swing hard until they hit one, but two solo home runs over 13 innings isn't exactly a meteor shower.

Jones also acknowledged after the game that the team had abandoned the pass-the-baton approach that helped the Orioles get off to such a great start. They need to rediscover it in a hurry, because the Boston Red Sox just passed them in the standings

and the Sox have a long history of patience in clutch situations.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-if-striking-out-is-in-orioles-dna-they-need-to-change-their-genes-20160525-story.html

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But trying to swing for the fences will not get you a bloop. Jones admits they are all trying to hit homers to look good. Maybe they can do one of those cool handshakes.

He was clearly frustrated during his post-game MASN interview and he had every right to be. The Orioles adopted the mindset that they would just swing hard until they hit one, but two solo home runs over 13 innings isn't exactly a meteor shower.

Jones also acknowledged after the game that the team had abandoned the pass-the-baton approach that helped the Orioles get off to such a great start. They need to rediscover it in a hurry, because the Boston Red Sox just passed them in the standings

and the Sox have a long history of patience in clutch situations.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/schmuck-blog/bal-if-striking-out-is-in-orioles-dna-they-need-to-change-their-genes-20160525-story.html

We started the game last night with a very patient approach for the first two innings. Fister was up to 60 P with 3 BB's. Then we abandoned it and let him off the hook.

We started the game last night with a very patient approach for the first two innings. Fister was up to 60 P with 3 BB's. Then we abandoned it and let him off the hook.

This was so frustrating. First game of a series, I am always looking at the pitch count so we can tax the pen. We had him out early, even if we weren't putting up runs. Then the middle of the lineup had a very quick inning. If we could've just got to that pen earlier.

Not watching the game, but let me guess. Everyone's trying to murder the ball.

Yes, they were. And only a couple of times did someone try to take an outer edge pitch to the opposite field. And, as Buck said, too many swings at non-strikes, even after getting ahead in the count..

14th in the majors. But have played two or three fewer games then most teams. The Orioles are streaky. Last seven days not a good trend. If you look at the last 30 days only four players are hitting over. 257. Kim. Wieters, Reimold and Schoop.

Pretty much every team is streaky. It's the nature of the game. The notion that the Orioles are a particularly streaky team compared to others is a fallacy. I certainly do agree that we are in a bit of a funk right now, but I don't believe that is because of some fundamental flaw in our team. When the year is over, our offense will have been somewhat above average, and the streakiness will be in the normal range for a typical team.

I'm not sure how many more Ryan flaherty at bats I can stomach.

He brings nothing to the table. Nothing.

Agree totally - having him batting 9th and up with the bases loaded is as bad or worse as having most pitchers batting. It seems akin to a NL lineup.

You haven't watched enough Janish AB.

You are so right as the only game I saw where Janish batted he actually got a solid hit, which really surprised me at the time. Has Flaherty even managed an rbi yet this season? His m.o. now seems to be the opposing pitcher 's best friend. Maybe they should see if they still have Andino's cell number?

Not to beat a dead horse, but maybe need to look at the hitting coach again. Seems like 2015 all over again.

Yeah, I hate having an above average offense that occasionally has cold spells. Changing the hitting coach will totally change that.

Not to beat a dead horse, but maybe need to look at the hitting coach again. Seems like 2015 all over again.

A new hitting coach isn't going to cure what ails Adam Jones, is not going to make Chris Davis strikeout any less, or teach Jonathan Schoop plate discipline, or make Ryan Flaherty productive at the plate.

What is a different hitting coach going to do?

Mike Bordick said Scott Coolbaugh is the hardest working hitting coach in baseball. He says all the Orioles coaches work really hard. Players as well. Also all the players love each other. After the game they toast marshmallows and sing Kumbaya.

Shame that we're falling out of the playoff race in May just because they want to hit more home runs. Why compete all year when you can just screw off and hit meaningless homers?

Yeah, because the season is totally lost in May.:rolleyes: Sure was in 2012 when they were a .500 team into July. The playoffs aren't won in May, and no, they aren't lost either.

Yeah, because the season is totally lost in May.:rolleyes: Sure was in 2012 when they were a .500 team into July. The playoffs aren't won in May, and no, they aren't lost either.

I agree with you.

The baseball season is a long grind.

I hate to lose, too.

But, when there is a small losing street, its get crazy in OH.

Archived