TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

Inconsistency has not been a problem for Cubs fans this year where it is SRO at the Maddon/Epstein fan club meetings.

So one team of thirty, who has the best record in baseball. OK.

The title for most consistent team in baseball probably comes down to either the Twins or Braves.

The Cubs, the Twins, and the Braves have all been consistent.

The other 27 Major League teams are just winging it.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Certainly not, but erratic and winning are two separate things. Posters say this team is inconsistent. I'm asking if they are any more inconsistent or "erratic" than one could reasonably expect a team to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the Royals are erratic. Started season 8-2 then went 4-9. After that played around .500 for a bit then. Then went 13-3 to get into first place and right after that stretch dropped 7 in a row.

I've come to realize if the Orioles win the World Series this year this thread will be my legacy! lol

Oh, you can be sure this thread will be bumped constantly for so long as the Orioles remain in contention this year, and hopefully into the playoffs.

I don't know if we will end up being mediocre this year or not, but the concerns you expressed in the OP remain valid.

I've come to realize if the Orioles win the World Series this year this thread will be my legacy! lol

Oh, you can be sure this thread will be bumped constantly for so long as the Orioles remain in contention this year, and hopefully into the playoffs.

I don't know if we will end up being mediocre this year or not, but the concerns you expressed in the OP remain valid.

I won't feel completely assured that the 2016 Orioles have surpassed mediocrity until I see the number "85" or "86" in the win column.

Then and only then will I state with conviction that the 2016 Orioles are necessarily better than just a mediocre team.

I won't feel completely assured that the 2016 Orioles have surpassed mediocrity until I see the number "85" or "86" in the win column.

Then and only then will I state with conviction that the 2016 Orioles are necessarily better than just a mediocre team.

What if it happens the last game of the season? I had the Orioles at 85 wins total. Is that "better-than-average" but not "mediocre"?

What if it happens the last game of the season? I had the Orioles at 85 wins total. Is that "better-than-average", but not "mediocre"?

ooo Yes.

Somewhere in this thread, Tony elaborated that his definition of mediocre was 78-84 wins. So, 85 would be just better than mediocre.

If the O's play .500 ball from right now, they finish 87-75. That was good enough to make the wild card in 2015, but not good enough to make it in any of the other years since they went to the current 5-team playoff format. So, we need to keep winning (and we really want the division title, anyway).

[video=youtube;MLCLMEYp9s0]
Ok then, if we subtract any streak of 3 W or more, then we have a chance, if we go win two lose one the rest of the time. Tough climb though currently we are 11-23 subtracting streaks of 3 or more.

Oh I'm enjoying the ride and the irony of the O's winning 7 of 8 since that take, but I too remain skeptical a bit because our rotation is still filled with question marks. As was pointed out though and I agree with, there's a lot of mediocre teams right now so if the Orioles can limit their losing streaks they might have put themselves in a good situation come September.

The Orioles have actually been one of the most consistant teams in baseball winning wise. I looked at just the teams currently over .500 and counted all streaks of 3 or more and here it what it shows.

Winning Loosing

Balt 5 2

Bos 5 4

Tor 4 4

Clev 5 3

KC 4 3

Det 6 4

Tex 5 4

Sea 6 4

Was 7 3

NYM 4 3

Mia 3 2

CHC 6 1

Pit 4 3

Stl 2 3

SF 4 4

LA 5 2

You would expect a bit more winning streaks then loosing streaks given all these teams are over .500 The Cubs are the only team with fewer loosing streaks and the Marlins and dodgers are tied.

Somewhere in this thread, Tony elaborated that his definition of mediocre was 78-84 wins. So, 85 would be just better than mediocre.

If the O's play .500 ball from right now, they finish 87-75. That was good enough to make the wild card in 2015, but not good enough to make it in any of the other years since they went to the current 5-team playoff format. So, we need to keep winning (and we really want the division title, anyway).

78-84 is a pretty wide range, and 85 wins is definitely NOT "mediocre" by definition.

85 wins would have been a top 11 team in 2015. Is that "average" or "mediocre"? Nope.

78 wins would have been a top 19. That is probably slightly below average, but not by much.

A "mediocre" team is basically a .500 team, which would put them about smack in the middle around 15th.

This team is NOT a .500 team, period, therefore not "mediocre" in any way.

Maybe after we throw up yet another 7 game win streak, or 7 of 8, the naysayers will realize this. But probably not.

Oh I'm enjoying the ride and the irony of the O's winning 7 of 8 since that take, but I too remain skeptical a bit because our rotation is still filled with question marks. As was pointed out though and I agree with, there's a lot of mediocre teams right now so if the Orioles can limit their losing streaks they might have put themselves in a good situation come September.

I think you caused the run. In fact, I think it was a fluke that the one was lost.

Archived