TT: The Orioles are a mediocre team

Tony-OH

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh I'm enjoying the ride and the irony of the O's winning 7 of 8 since that take, but I too remain skeptical a bit because our rotation is still filled with question marks. As was pointed out though and I agree with, there's a lot of mediocre teams right now so if the Orioles can limit their losing streaks they might have put themselves in a good situation come September.

Yep, this. There's really no arguing that the O's aren't a deeply flawed team. But it looks like they might be less flawed than a significant number of other teams in the league. I don't see how they win playoff series with this rotation, but then...I don't quite understand how they've won so many games to this point in the season, either.

Yep, this. There's really no arguing that the O's aren't a deeply flawed team. But it looks like they might be less flawed than a significant number of other teams in the league. I don't see how they win playoff series with this rotation, but then...I don't quite understand how they've won so many games to this point in the season, either.
The O's are flawed but looking at TOR so are they. Lousy bullpen and not much in the line up after the big 4. The O's line up is strong 1-8. Our SP is sketchy but theirs is no power house.

The O's are flawed but looking at TOR so are they. Lousy bullpen and not much in the line up after the big 4. The O's line up is strong 1-8. Our SP is sketchy but theirs is no power house.

No power house? They've allowed the least amount of runs per game in the AL going into today at 4.02 with a team ERA of 3.68. Their starters have an ERA of 3.58, WHIP of 1.198 and a slash line of .230/.298 /.371 - .669 OPS.

So, yeah, their rotation is that good. The issue is that their relief corps isn't.

Comparing to the O's, they have an ERA (starting) of 4.66, a WHIP approaching 1.400 and a slash line of .268/.332/.440 - .772 OPS. That's over 100 more OPS, bunch more baserunners and an ERA of more than 1 over the Jays. Not good.

Wins above average, AL Rotations

1. Texas (+4.5)

2. Cleveland (+3.6)

3. Toronto (+3.0)

4. Chicago (+2.1)

5. New York (+2.1)

6. Baltimore (+0.4)

7. Detroit (+0.4)

8. Tampa Bay (-1.1)

9. Houston (-1.3)

10. Seattle (-1.5)

11. Oakland (-1.6)

12. Los Angeles (-2.1)

13. Boston (-2.1)

14. Kansas City (-2.4)

15. Minnesota (-2.9)

Y

Wins above average, AL Rotations

1. Texas (+4.5)

2. Cleveland (+3.6)

3. Toronto (+3.0)

4. Chicago (+2.1)

5. New York (+2.1)

6. Baltimore (+0.4)

7. Detroit (+0.4)

8. Tampa Bay (-1.1)

9. Houston (-1.3)

10. Seattle (-1.5)

11. Oakland (-1.6)

12. Los Angeles (-2.1)

13. Boston (-2.1)

14. Kansas City (-2.4)

15. Minnesota (-2.9)

Sometimes, a statistic makes no sense. This is one of those times.

Y

Sometimes, a statistic makes no sense. This is one of those times.

Chris Tillman (2.5 WAR) and Kevin Gausman (1.1 WAR) have a lot to do with the Orioles' score. Tillman is actually 5th in the AL behind Salazar, Sale, Tanaka and Estrada.

In other news, there are a lot of struggling starting pitchers out there.

In preseason projections, it seems as though the Orioles strengths were glossed over while their weaknesses were focused on. The opposite seems true of their divisional opponents.

In preseason projections, it seems as though the Orioles strengths were glossed over while their weaknesses were focused on. The opposite seems true of their divisional opponents.

I don't know if that is entirely true. I think it was more their weaknesses were over-exaggerated. The pitching is NOT good, but it is not the dumpster-fire that many in the media proclaimed it to be. People completely wrote Tillman off coming into the season, Gausman has been pitching very well, Wilson has been serviceable.

The offense has been good enough to cover the shakier parts of the rotation - but the Orioles still need an arm - any arm - to bring stability to that group. It has also helped that the Jays have underwhelmed so far this year, offensively at least and the Yankees and Rays have completely fallen off the table.

I think it is hard to get your mind around the idea that a team with below average starting pitching can be a very good team, especially when the offense is good but not great. And I think it will take all 162 games to see if that model works and convince people.

I think it is hard to get your mind around the idea that a team with below average starting pitching can be a very good team, especially when the offense is good but not great. And I think it will take all 162 games to see if that model works and convince people.

Considering that such a team just won the world series last year with that model you would think people wouldn't be quite AS surprised.

A swoon will unquestionably come, because there are still more than 100 games that are left to be played.

They question is, will the swoon(s) be so long and hurtful that it will have the Orioles sitting at or only slightly above .500 by mid-September ???

Maybe we aleady a swoon of the caliber we can expect to see a couple of times hopefully at most? Lost 7 of the last 9 in May. If that's the swoon, I'll take it

Archived