It could take $400 million to sign Manny (internet sources unnamed)

calmunderfire

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If anyone seriously thinks Machado could get that kind of money then the O's definitely should trade him. A contract anywhere close to that could do long term damage to even the Yankees. Even Trout and Harper have far more value as trade pieces then they would in an idiotic signing like that.

I love Manny but with every homer he hits and every outstanding defensive play he makes I start to prepare myself for him leaving. IMO, for some reason....and I can't put my finger on it, he just doesn't seem like one of ours. I'm sure his teammates love him but he just doesn't seem like a Baltimore type of guy. I just get the feeling that he'd rather be in a big market like NY, somewhere in Florida close to where he's from or west coast like LA.

I hope I'm wrong. He's a once in a generation talent. When it's all said and done, he's got a chance to be the best player in franchise history. Maybe not the most important but the best.

I know exactly what you mean... Baltimore is too small of a fish bowl for Manny. Question is, will Jon follow him out?

What's funny is I keep trying to think of a mega contract that played out, and at the end, the team that signed them got a value. They always look bad at the end of the day. I would much rather the O's spend $40 mill a year on 3-4 B players than one elite player. What will hurt Harper and Machado is being a FA the same year. The number of teams that can afford $400m contracts is pretty limited. I think whoever signs first will get the biggest deal.

That said with deferred money and opt outs, I don't think $400m is as spectacular a number as it once was.

That's what the word is now. And Angelos is not willing to spend that much. Machado also apparently shut down negotiations in 2013.

Like I've been saying all along. He's going to completely and totally destroy any previous baseball contract. He will easily become baseball's highest paid player ever with ease.

But they said he doesn't hit like Cabrera or Trout or Pujols. Blah, blah, blah. Were they free agents at 26 years old? No they were not.

How did you ever chose your name here? Not to be too critical but your posts seem the polar opposite of your self created identity.

Just sayin'

That's what the word is now. And Angelos is not willing to spend that much. Machado also apparently shut down negotiations in 2013.

Like I've been saying all along. He's going to completely and totally destroy any previous baseball contract. He will easily become baseball's highest paid player ever with ease.

But they said he doesn't hit like Cabrera or Trout or Pujols. Blah, blah, blah. Were they free agents at 26 years old? No they were not.

That's a lot of money for a guy who can't hit a slider ;)

Trout isn't a free agent until 2021.

I'm getting really tired of talking heads discussing Harper and Manny who say that they shouldn't be the highest paid guy as long as Mike Trout is around. Just completely misses the point w/r/t him signing a hefty extension that bought out arb years, etc.

Archived