Nicely to see Francisco Pena get off to a good start

wildcard

The pitchers seem comfortable pitching to him. Laser arm. And he is hot at the bat.

Maybe he will play well enough for Joseph to go on rehab and get his bat started.

Here is another guy with under one year of service contributing. The O's have 7 of those. Kim, Wilson, Wright, Bundy, Givens, Rickard and Pena. Tolliver was also in this category before he was optioned.

Is it a foregone conclusion that Joseph gets his job back when he's healthy? .452 OPS, 0 RBI and the team was 9-10 in his starts.

And Pena may be better defensively. Although, if he continues to catch Jimenez his CS% will be for nought.

Joseph has not lost his job. Pena has had some nice AB's and that's great, but let's not start falling all over ourselves here. Joseph was clearly struggling with the bat this season, but when he's healthy, and after a rehab, he will be brought back up. The only way that doesn't happen is if he struggles in his rehab and Pena is playing great. Saying that, Buck like Caleb, trusts him behind the plate and I've already seen a few things of concern defensively with Pena.

He had a fantastic approach against Chapman yesterday and he's already hit much better than his AAA numbers this year suggest, but he's less than a few games into his Oriole career. Let's not start anointing him already.

Joseph has not lost his job. Pena has had some nice AB's and that's great, but let's not start falling all over ourselves here. Joseph was clearly struggling with the bat this season, but when he's healthy, and after a rehab, he will be brought back up. The only way that doesn't happen is if he struggles in his rehab and Pena is playing great. Saying that, Buck like Caleb, trusts him behind the plate and I've already seen a few things of concern defensively with Pena.

He had a fantastic approach against Chapman yesterday and he's already hit much better than his AAA numbers this year suggest, but he's less than a few games into his Oriole career. Let's not start anointing him already.

I'm not anointing him, but I am curious as to what your concerns are about him defensively.

I thought Pena was hitting pretty solid, the week before he was called up?

I like his cannon for an arm.

Actually, I doubt Joseph has lost his job, either. I just brought it up because Joseph has hit so poorly this year. In any event, Pena figures to get 2-3 more starts before Joseph is eligible to come off the DL, and I do agree that Joseph will probably play some rehab games before the O's consider activating him. I could see a scenario where Pena stays hot and Joseph looks bad in the rehab games, but frankly I don't think it's that likely that the O's will keep Joseph in the minors.

Im glad we have a Pena/ Joseph option..but Im REALLY glad we still have Wieters. I assumed it was a given that they wouldn't be able to re-sign him, and maybe they won't, but they could surely use him next year and beyond. Hes hitting,and throwing and defending. We dont have another catcher close to him like that in our organization. Catchers dont come cheap either

Yep and the best part about having Matt is his bat the guy has been MR Clutch this year. :D

I like what Pena is doing. His catching style is very encouraging to the pitcher. Remember that Pena was off to as bad a start in AAA as Caleb was up here. It's never a good thing for an injury, especially what Caleb had. OUCH. But the silver lining is that he can get some AB's on a rehab assignment and get his bat going.

Pena was a nice under the radar move that DD made with an eye on the future. Caleb and Pena could be a nice stop gap until Cisco arrives.

I like what Pena is doing. His catching style is very encouraging to the pitcher. Remember that Pena was off to as bad a start in AAA as Caleb was up here. It's never a good thing for an injury, especially what Caleb had. OUCH. But the silver lining is that he can get some AB's on a rehab assignment and get his bat going.

Pena was a nice under the radar move that DD made with an eye on the future. Caleb and Pena could be a nice stop gap until Cisco arrives.

I thought that had turned into an "If"?

Have they made enough progress on his defensive skills side of being a catcher?

Archived