MLBAM and Tom Tango

weams

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-qa-with-tom-tango-the-new-czar-of-statcast/

A few minutes ago, MLB Advanced Media made a pretty exciting announcement, as they've brought in Tom Tango - who created many of the metrics we use here on FanGraphs, and is probably the closest thing this generation has had to Bill James in terms of advancing the understanding of the game ? to serve as their Senior Database Architect of Stats. In other words, he?ll help facilitate the development and deployment of Statcast data.

While the league has previously been somewhat reserved in discussions about which direction they would take this technology, the fact that MLB has brought in one of the game's most respected public analysts, and is putting him in a position to develop tools for the public, seems like a great sign for the future of the data.

MLBAM proposed a job. A full-time job that allowed me to walk away from the "what I do" job, and have a sole "who I am" job. That's all they needed to say.

TT: For fielding, that one has great potential. Mitchel Lichtman has also been the leader with regards to fielding, but he will be the first to tell you the major problem he's got is that he doesn't know the starting position of each fielder. Statcast gives us that. I don't know how many terabytes of data we get out of Statcast, but 50% of the value will simply be knowing where the feet of all the fielders are, when the pitcher releases the ball. Just by doing that, it would essentially make all other fielding metrics obsolete. Then we can spend the other 99% of the time focusing on all the nuances that we can get out of Statcast that will end up giving us some interesting angles. So, the value is in knowing the starting position, but the fun is knowing all the little things that we watch baseball for.

This will be very interesting to me.

Yeah I know but my last contact with him left me feeling he wasn't getting the full plate of data. He states on baseball savant that the data isn't complete, so I was wondering if that had changed

If Director of Research and Development doesn't get all the data, I suspect no one does.

If Director of Research and Development doesn't get all the data, I suspect no one does.

He might get it but not be allowed to publicly disclose it.

Could be merely acknowledging some of what MBLAM is capable of would be giving away proprietary information.

Archived