Taking a Flyer on Jason Botts?

StunninSteve

Millar is not getting cut. I like the idea of Botts though. Texas is a team that is in desperate need of a AM type of guy. A Jason Botts should not be getting cut on a team like Texas.

Texas is in desperate need of a semi-moron running the team because Jon Daniels is a full blown case.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is an excellent post. Nobody here ever pays sufficient attention to this fact. For every Jason Botts who becomes Carlos Pena there are a 100 who become Kevin Maas. It's real easy to say get this guy he could be Carlos Pena on an internet message board; it's a lot more difficult to burn through 7 of them through the course of 3 seasons before you find that guy- if you ever do.

O, btw, his defense is abysmal. I live in Arlington so I've seen a bit of this guy the last few years. IMO, he's really a poor man's Jay Gibbons. Nothing to get excited about.

Very interesting. You have seen the guy and your point as as the original post is accurate. People get all fired up over guys like Jon Knott and JR House with out realizing they are AAAA ball players. I have read a lot of good things about Botts and he is basically a one organization guy so he does deserve another shot but you have seen him a lot more than I have.

Very interesting. You have seen the guy and your point as as the original post is accurate. People get all fired up over guys like Jon Knott and JR House with out realizing they are AAAA ball players. I have read a lot of good things about Botts and he is basically a one organization guy so he does deserve another shot but you have seen him a lot more than I have.

Of course, people said Carlos Pena and Jack Cust were AAAA players.

If I was a ballplayer, and I saw someone call me that dirty word, I would hunt them down and show them exactly how well I could hit at the major-league level. That label sticks like a leather car-seat in August.

So can we actually get this guy? Who is ahead of us on the priority list? Sadly I think Boston and New York are ahead of us, which is strange to say. Maybe we could work out a trade with the Rangers giving them Aquino and Burres for Botts and Joaquin Arias.

I think waiver order is determined by the previous year's record. So, the O's would be pretty high up in the priority list.

This is an excellent post. Nobody here ever pays sufficient attention to this fact. For every Jason Botts who becomes Carlos Pena there are a 100 who become Kevin Maas. It's real easy to say get this guy he could be Carlos Pena on an internet message board; it's a lot more difficult to burn through 7 of them through the course of 3 seasons before you find that guy- if you ever do.

O, btw, his defense is abysmal. I live in Arlington so I've seen a bit of this guy the last few years. IMO, he's really a poor man's Jay Gibbons. Nothing to get excited about.

It is a low-risk high reward. Millar and Huff are taking at bats on this team and they aren't apart of the future of the O's. Botts could possibly be and the cost is relatively nothing.

If you really want to get rid of the 1b/dh logjam, there is an easy solution. Many people hate the idea of moving Melvin Mora to short but the way LH and Fahey have been playing defensively lately it won't be much of a downgrade. If we put Huff at 3b and move Mora to SS and bench LH then depending on who is better with the glove Botts can either DH or play 1b while Millar plays the other.

It is a low-risk high reward. Millar and Huff are taking at bats on this team and they aren't apart of the future of the O's. Botts could possibly be and the cost is relatively nothing.

I mean, I'm no scout, but I've seen the guy and he isn't that guy. He's got massive holes in his swing; he can't hit a big time fastball; and he is ABSOLUTELY horrendous in the field. He's put up some good numbers in AAA: As a 26, 27 year old in a hitter's park and league.

Like I said, he isn't as good as Gibbons defensively and at least Gibby could make you pay if you thought you were sneaking a gimme fastball over for strike one. This guy can't do that. Millar and Huff aren't part of the future; neither is Botts.

If you really want to get rid of the 1b/dh logjam, there is an easy solution. Many people hate the idea of moving Melvin Mora to short but the way LH and Fahey have been playing defensively lately it won't be much of a downgrade. If we put Huff at 3b and move Mora to SS and bench LH then depending on who is better with the glove Botts can either DH or play 1b while Millar plays the other.

Mora at SS and Huff at 3B.

Worst left side of the infield EVER.

I would need to see some convincing statistical evidence showing that the offensive improvement would outweigh this defensive atrocity. Even then, I'm not sure I would want to watch it.

Also, I'm not sure how long Mora can be a SS before completely wearing out. Many are already concerned by the lack of rest while playing 3B.

Mora at SS and Huff at 3B.

Worst left side of the infield EVER.

I would need to see some convincing statistical evidence showing that the offensive improvement would outweigh this defensive atrocity. Even then, I'm not sure I would want to watch it.

Also, I'm not sure how long Mora can be a SS before completely wearing out. Many are already concerned by the lack of rest while playing 3B.

When are you going to get with the program, srock? I mean, really ... based on what I've been reading lately, isn't it obvious that at least one of the following is true?

1. Defense doesn't matter.

2. If you haven't seen a guy play, it's safe to assume that his defense is adequate.

3. If the guy's defense is acknowledged to be sub-par, it's safe to assume that whatever deficit exists in his game defensively couldn't possibly be big enough to exceed the positive increment he gives you in OPS.

4. If his defense is completely atrocious, it still doesn't matter because we have this thing called a DH, and we can safely assume that he will NEVER have to play the field. And this statement remains true not only for DH superstars like Ortiz, but even for guys with only moderate upside.

5. If a DH wannabe is available, we should definitely grab him right away, without regard to roster space considerations, because it's a good idea during this rebuilding period to release Millar for nothing rather than, say, trading him or Huff at the deadline in return for prospects and/or contract dollar recovery.

I mean, I'm no scout, but I've seen the guy and he isn't that guy. He's got massive holes in his swing; he can't hit a big time fastball; and he is ABSOLUTELY horrendous in the field. He's put up some good numbers in AAA: As a 26, 27 year old in a hitter's park and league.

Like I said, he isn't as good as Gibbons defensively and at least Gibby could make you pay if you thought you were sneaking a gimme fastball over for strike one. This guy can't do that. Millar and Huff aren't part of the future; neither is Botts.

He put up good #'s in the minors his whole career. He put up a high BA as a power hitter which shows that he can't have that many holes. We don't lose anything if we give him a chance. If he becomes average we have him for cheap for many years. I think it is lazy by the O's FO if we don't claim him.

That isn't the case. Look at your own team. Guts was "cut".

Yeah, there's a difference. Mainly, Guts wasn't cut but made available to the rule 5 because Cleveland is a good, deep orginization. Botts WAS cut by a heinous cess pool masquerading as a major leage franchise.

Archived