Updates on Hunter Harvey

Norfolk orioles

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

By a guy who has had arm problems for the last 3 year?

And he is not some journeyman.  He is a top prospect.

they said back in April they would be no restrictions or limits, they took the "gloves off".

Did they mess up, maybe?

Too early to be complaining, since we really dont know the extent of whats going on.

These days, a pitcher gets a hangnail, its rest him for a few days.

Old days, a pitcher get a blister, they would piss on it, to toughen the skin.

These days, its a week off to rest.

10 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

they said back in April they would be no restrictions or limits, they took the "gloves off".

Did they mess up, maybe?

Too early to be complaining, since we really dont know the extent of whats going on.

These days, a pitcher gets a hangnail, its rest him for a few days.

Old days, a pitcher get a blister, they would piss on it, to toughen the skin.

These days, its a week off to rest.

I am not complaining.  I just think of the 33 pitch  inning when they say his arm is sore.  That's all.  I hope he is fine with some rest.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

By a guy who has had arm problems for the last 3 year?

And he is not some journeyman.  He is a top prospect.

He threw 33 previously this year, at least once and probably twice.   (He threw 79 pitches in 2.1 innings, hard to do if you didn’t throw 33 in any of the innings, though it’s possible.)

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not complaining.  I just think of the 33 pitch  inning when they say his arm is sore.  That's all.  I hope he is fine with some rest.

I think it’s a legit question.   He did pitch twice after that 33-pitch outing, so it’s hard to say that any soreness was linked to that outing, though of course there could be some linkage.  

Just now, wildcard said:

Oh,  so I guess that makes it OK?

There was ample discussion of the wisdom of letting Harvey throw 33 pitches the day after the Nats game, so I don’t feel like rehashing that whole discussion, which is contained within this thread.    

I think in general, the team will pull its minor leaguers if they reach 35 pitches in an inning.   You could argue for a lower limit for Harvey, but it doesn’t seem that they imposed one in the minors.    

Just now, Frobby said:

I think it’s a legit question.   He did pitch twice after that 33-pitch outing, so it’s hard to say that any soreness was linked to that outing, though of course there could be some linkage.  

I looked at that.  He was lights out before the 33 pitch inning.  The next appearance he allowed his first run.  The next outing they only pitched him for one out on 9 pitches.      I don't like  the regression.  He may have not been  himself for  a while.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There was ample discussion of the wisdom of letting Harvey throw 33 pitches the day after the Nats game, so I don’t feel like rehashing that whole discussion, which is contained within this thread.    

I think in general, the team will pull its minor leaguers if they reach 35 pitches in an inning.   You could argue for a lower limit for Harvey, but it doesn’t seem that they imposed one in the minors.    

You sound like you are defending the high pitch count.   I really don't want to be attacking here.  I just hope he is alright.

Just now, wildcard said:

I looked at that.  He was lights out before the 33 pitch inning.  The next appearance he allowed his first run.  The next outing they only pitched him for one out on 9 pitches.      I don't like  the regression.  He may have not been  himself for  a while.

Maybe.    I’m not going to dispute that you could be right.    But I don’t know that I’d call his most recent two outings a regression.   He struck out 3 of the 6 batters he faced.    The game where he only faced one batter, that was because Hyde brought him in with 2 outs in the 8th, and then used his closer in the 9th in a tie game on the road.   Hard to know if Hyde only used Harvey for one batter due to arm soreness, or whether it was just tactical.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Maybe.    I’m not going to dispute that you could be right.    But I don’t know that I’d call his most recent two outings a regression.   He struck out 3 of the 6 batters he faced.    The game where he only faced one batter, that was because Hyde brought him in with 2 outs in the 8th, and then used his closer in the 9th in a tie game on the road.   Hard to know if Hyde only used Harvey for one batter due to arm soreness, or whether it was just tactical.

Personally, and I have no insider knowledge.

I would hope that if Hyde knew about the soreness, why even run him out there?

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You sound like you are defending the high pitch count.   I really don't want to be attacking here.  I just hope he is alright.

Thanks, I don’t really want to argue it either.   As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn’t see that game and didn’t really have an opinion as to whether Harvey should have been pulled sooner.    Nor do I know whether his current arm soreness is related to that outing.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks, I don’t really want to argue it either.   As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I didn’t see that game and didn’t really have an opinion as to whether Harvey should have been pulled sooner.    Nor do I know whether his current arm soreness is related to that outing.   

Im torn, I dont want to defend or attack it, as I think its too early to tell if that was the issue.

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I watched the inning.  He was throwing free and easy.  A lot of foul balls as you can imagine.   I don't think watching it gave me any more insight other than the Nats were ability to extend the inning on him where I had not seen that happen in his other outings.