Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

Last night was the type of performance from Gausman that prompted my OP. In a game we desperately needed, after we got a clutch hit for what seemed like the first time in weeks to take an early 2-0 lead. Gausman immediately coughs up 3 homers in an inning to fall behind. The O's tie it up on a really heady play by Manny, and he immediately coughs up another 3-spot. Way to back up your teammates, Guts....er, Gausman!

OK, irrational tirade over....I hope...

It's all good. I don't see it with him at all. I'd very much consider moving him in a trade for a good starter. The DD rotation mess continues...

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Last night was the type of performance from Gausman that prompted my OP. In a game we desperately needed, after we got a clutch hit for what seemed like the first time in weeks to take an early 2-0 lead. Gausman immediately coughs up 3 homers in an inning to fall behind. The O's tie it up on a really heady play by Manny, and he immediately coughs up another 3-spot. Way to back up your teammates, Guts....er, Gausman!

OK, irrational tirade over....I hope...

I call confirmation bias! :) I'm sure you're aware of this--and that is why you label the tirade "irrational"--but in Gausman's previous 5 starts there was only one instance of him giving up a run in the inning after the Orioles scored, and that was just one run during a pitcher's duel in which Gausman gave up only two in 6.67 innings (6 hits, 6 Ks, 1 BB vs. the Yankees on July 18). In two of the five games he gave up no runs at all.

I thought of this thread when I saw on my phone Kevin did that. Cant stand prosperity...

Since 2000, there have been 55 pitchers that have made 10 or more starts for the Orioles. Of these 55 pitchers, the following are on the current roster:

Yovani Gallardo, 12 Starts

Tyler Wilson, 18 Starts

Mike Wright, 21 Starts

Kevin Gausman, 60 Starts

Ubaldo Jimenez, 72 Starts

Chris Tillman, 171 Starts

Kevin Gausman’s 60 starts puts him 13th on the list of pitchers that have started for the Orioles since the year 2000. He is behind Jake Arrieta (63 Starts) and Brian Matusz (68 Starts). Gausman has an ERA of 4.24 as a starter while Arrieta (5.41 ERA) and Matusz (5.51 ERA) seemed to have been a bit worse. Gausman has a WHIP of 1.308 while Arrieta (1.488 WHIP) and Matusz (1.556 WHIP) seemed a bit worse.

Gausman has had 22 games with 2 runs or less of run support

Matusz had 23 games with 2 runs or less of run support

Arrieta had 13 games with 2 runs or less of run support

From these factoids (Baseball Reference) one would think that Gausman, if willing to allow him to develop, would have more “Upside” than the other two pitchers that are close to comparable.

Just to keep with the threads initial theme, Jeremy Guthrie had 48 games with 2 runs or less of run support while starting 153 games for the Orioles with a WHIP of 1.268 and an ERA of 4.09.

• 2 weeks later...

o

Gausman pitched well with a lead in his most recent outing.

His offense scored 3 runs in the bottom of the first inning. After stumbling in the first 2 innings, he eventually completed 7 innings of 2-run ball.

If Baltimore think Gausman is nothing but a back-end arm or relief pitcher (as some on here) they should trade him and be done with it. There are teams that value him more highly than that.

God I hope we are not this dumb.

If Baltimore think Gausman is nothing but a back-end arm or relief pitcher (as some on here) they should trade him and be done with it. There are teams that value him more highly than that.
God I hope we are not this dumb.

Even if Gausman's development ends at being a slightly better than average starter (his ERA+ since moving full-time to the rotation in 2014 is 105), there's plenty of value in that. Sure, he's arbitration eligible after this season but he'll be cheap for a little longer. Will he turn a corner for us and become something more? Maybe, maybe not. But assuming he can do what's he's already capable of and throw some additional innings, he's a very useful part. I'd be in no rush to move him.

Pitches just well enough to not win. You can say he's had poor run support, but the O's fought back to get him the lead and he immediately coughed it up. Guthrie seemed to do that all the time.

Tony says you are right.

Archived