Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

What I have never understood about the idea being clutch...

If I guy can raise his game in the big moments why doesn't he give that extra effort, that extra focus, on every at bat?

uh, it ever cross your mind that some people actually focus better under pressure than others and even their selves when there is more on the line say at the very end of a tight game or especially a playoff or World Series game when their entir season is on the line? Sort of again a common sense or no brainer train of thought. After all atheletes are human beings with feelings and emotions not robots!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So not a repeatable skill eh? Apparent that depends on your definition of "repeatable" and before you give me some b.s. Definition of it defined by some statistical guru who because he is allegedly the "expert" on some arbitrary definition which doesn't mean you, me or the newspaper boy have to accept - how would Jack Nicholas winning all those Masters under extreme pressure or clutch situations NOT demonstrate a "repeatable skill? Or Michael Jordan or Paul Pierce hitting game winning shots time after time more so than anyone else NOT be a repeatable skill? Personally I don't give one iota what some data guru says, if I see with my own set of eyes someone "repeating" big time or clutch actions in sports that is evidence enough to me.

I'm not speaking about any sport but baseball. Clutch putting or clutch three-point shooting may well be a repeatable skill in golf or basketball; I don't follow research on those sports.

You don't have to be a "guru" to run a correlation. There are thousands of baseball fans who do statistical research on baseball data.

uh, it ever cross your mind that some people actually focus better under pressure than others and even their selves when there is more on the line say at the very end of a tight game or especially a playoff or World Series game when their entir season is on the line? Sort of again a common sense or no brainer train of thought. After all atheletes are human beings with feelings and emotions not robots!

If they do than I assume they are slacking in those other at bats. You get 4-5 at bats a game and you are telling me that you should be lauded for only giving max effort in "clutch" moments?

I know some posters are not at all clutch.

They can't handle the pressure of being forced to actually defend their positions and inevitably fall back on platitudes and divisive tactics.

This is quite an in-depth thought provoking statement if I have ever read one. Points to you sir.

Being "Clutch" is directly correlated to "Skill Set" In My Opinion. You would not have Ryan Flaherty hitting third, fourth or fifth in the current Orioles line-up for a reason and has nothing to do with being "Clutch" but has to do with "Skill Set". You also would not parade Brian Duensing out there to close a game when leading by one run over the "Skill Set" of Zach Britton.

Or instead of throwing big words around trying to discount the obvious they apply common sense and a healthy dose of reality. How about that?

What's obvious in high school ball isn't always a big deal when you move the competitive dial up 32 notches. If you're not a clutch hitter or pitcher you get released in A Ball.

If they do than I assume they are slacking in those other at bats. You get 4-5 at bats a game and you are telling me that you should be lauded for only giving max effort in "clutch" moments?

That's quite the assumption, thinking players aren't giving max effort in their other at bats. In baseball, being "clutch" may not mean as much as it does in other sports considering the amount of luck that goes into baseball, but I don't think you can discount it either. Just to use an example from another sport, Michael Jordan was "clutch", more often than not delivered in the big moments, and I don't think his effort over the course of a game can be questioned. Just because a player rises to the occasion in a big moment in no way does that mean he was slacking or not giving 100% in other situations - that's pretty screwy logic.

That's quite the assumption, thinking players aren't giving max effort in their other at bats. In baseball, being "clutch" may not mean as much as it does in other sports considering the amount of luck that goes into baseball, but I don't think you can discount it either. Just to use an example from another sport, Michael Jordan was "clutch", more often than not delivered in the big moments, and I don't think his effort over the course of a game can be questioned.

If they can bear down and really focus when it's a big moment in the bottom of the 9th why can't they do it when they are down by six in the four inning?

What makes them incapable of channeling their "clutchness" in non-clutch situations?

For basketball I will say it is physically impossible to go 100% for the entirety of the game, at some points you have to throttle back. I don't see why that would be the case for four at bats.

If they can bear down and really focus when it's a big moment in the bottom of the 9th why can't they do it when they are down by six in the four inning?

What makes them incapable of channeling their "clutchness" in non-clutch situations?

For basketball I will say it is physically impossible to go 100% for the entirety of the game, at some points you have to throttle back. I don't see why that would be the case for four at bats.

I edited/added a little to my post after you quoted, just FYI.

I simply don't agree with your premise, as it's based on nothing but an unfounded assumption.

I edited/added a little to my post after you quoted, just FYI.

I simply don't agree with your premise, as it's based on nothing but an unfounded assumption.

I think that believing in the existence of "clutch" when there is very little evidence to support it is an unfounded assumption.

If there isn't evidence to support something I'm going to assume it doesn't exist.

Isn't that the sensible way?

I think that believing in the existence of "clutch" when there is very little evidence to support it is an unfounded assumption.

If there isn't evidence to support something I'm going to assume it doesn't exist.

Isn't that the sensible way?

Evidence of clutch: Robert Horry

What is your evidence guys aren't giving 100% in all at bats?

Basketball again, but how about Robert "Big Shot Bob" Horry? If that guy isn't clutch, than I don't know who is.

Not that I follow basketball but Horry was generally what, the third best player for his team on the floor in big moments?

So the opposing team would be concentrating on the guys that were better than him right?

Might that be a factor?

Or did they take the best defenders off of Jordan and Pippen and double-team Horry?

Once again I'm really not speaking of basketball, I only follow baseball and curling. (I've seen no evidence of clutchness in curling)

Archived