anyone else not sold on Sherrill as closer?

DocJJ

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt he'll become a lights out, AS-caliber closer. But he'll be good enough to be a decent closer. Its really no different than being any other sort of reliever except for a very small percentage of players who can't handle it.

I still think we should look into moving him if he racks up a bunch of saves. Increase his value then sell high. I'd probably wait until the offseason rather than this July.

His propensity for giving up the HR does worry me (.30 GB/FB ratio), but he's been successful this year and has a decent track record going back to 2004. I don't think he's someone we should target as a closer for 2009 though. His value will be peaking come July 31st.

I think he'll be one of the top closers by the end of the year and I think his ERA will drop in the 2.50 - 3.00 range. He might not be overpowering but his deceptive delivery and his poise make him a good closer.

Looking at ERA for a closer with limited innings pitched this early in the season just isn't a good way to judge his performance. One bad outing can grossly inflate an ERA. He could be lights out in 10 of 11 performances and that one bad inning can kill an ERA. I'll take what he's given us any time and feel very confident when he comes into a game.

Sherrill is definitely a fly ball pitcher, which is going to be a problem for him going forward as he ages. And take a look at how it's gotten worse the last 4 years

2005: 18/18 GB/FB (1.00)

2006: 29/49 (0.59)

2007: 26/56 (0.46)

2008: 6/20 (0.30)

If Chris Ray is looking good late this summer and McCrory is showing promise, I'd see what's out there. But I wouldn't trade him just to trade him.I'd want quality-targeted quality back.

Frankly, Sherrill might have a better future as a setup man to Ray/McCrory. That mite be a hack of a bullpen.

One good month and we have people here already losing sight of what this year's about. Worry about Markakis, Jones and the young pitching. Sherrill is fine as closer for now and he may end up overvalued by the trade deadline as desperate as some of these clubs are for relief help.

Sherrill is definitely a fly ball pitcher, which is going to be a problem for him going forward as he ages. And take a look at how it's gotten worse the last 4 years

2005: 18/18 GB/FB (1.00)

2006: 29/49 (0.59)

2007: 26/56 (0.46)

2008: 6/20 (0.30)

Another thing you have to look at though is that a fly ball is any ball hit in the air. So many, not all, of his fly outs over the past couple of years are indeed pop ups to the infield or catcher. That is one thing to remember -- even a foul out to the catcher is a fly out.

Archived