anyone else not sold on Sherrill as closer?

DocJJ

Why do people want to trade cheap, productive and somewhat young players???

To get more cheap, productive and even younger players?

All kidding aside, I'm in no big hurry to start selling off pieces of our bullpen. As a baseball fan, there is nothing more painful than watching your team fritter away a lead in the late innings, and nothing more rewarding than fighting back from a deficit to catch up in the late innings. Having an excellent bullpen minimizes the painful losses and maximizes the chances for come-from-behind wins. It makes it fun to watch the games. We deserve a little fun around here.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think many of us got spoiled watching the likes of Olson, Randy Lee Myers, and then BJ Ryan come in and dominate as closer. Sherrill gets the job done. He's the least concerning of all the pitchers in my mind.

Because we can get a cheaper, more productive, and younger players. And a more valuable one to the team, a position player.

Nobody wants to dump Sherrill, but I think anybody arguing that a 31 y/o closer is more valuable than 2 good, young, MLB-ready prospects at positions of need to a 70-75 win team is way off base.

If you can't get that for Sherrill, keep him, if you can, make the move. We've got more guys who could be capable of closing for us than we do guys who are capable of playing SS, 1B, or 3B next season.

If you can get 2 or 3 very good young players for Sherrill at the break, you've gotta do it, IMO. If he can pile up 20-25 saves by the ASB, he is a valuable, valuable trade piece.

There are always teams desperate for good relief pitching come the deadline (Brewers come to mind with Gagne's troubles). If you can get more value than what Sherrill's worth to us, then make the deal. It's that simple and that's how it should be with every deal.

Let's also remember that the game against the Yankee$ was your classic "bring the closer in to get work in a non save situation and watch him blow up" scenario. I can't throw the stats to that game out (it did happen), but I'm not going to let them cloud my judgement of the rest of his season.

I'd still entertain trade offers, but suspect he'll wind up as our next Jamie Walker after the current Jamie Walker leaves. Count me in the ranks of those not worried about Sherrill.

I would say, "Who are these young players you speak of?" but I'm too classy.

They need a long-term answer at SS. Despite what some people have suggested, there's almost -0- chance of getting one for any combo of Bradford and Walker - and/or any other veterans the O's might be looking to dump. That leaves Sherrill and Roberts as the options.

My team can be winning 6-0 in the ninth. I come on to pitch the ninth. I surrender a bunch of hits and home runs to make it 6-5. I manage to eke out of a bases-loaded jam for my team to win 6-5. In one inning I've given up 5 runs, a boatload of hits and walks, and nearly cost my team the game. But I get a "save".

Ridiculous.

My team can be winning 6-0 in the ninth. I come on to pitch the ninth. I surrender a bunch of hits and home runs to make it 6-5. I manage to eke out of a bases-loaded jam for my team to win 6-5. In one inning I've given up 5 runs, a boatload of hits and walks, and nearly cost my team the game. But I get a "save".

Ridiculous.

Not necessarily, I believe that the official scorer has some latitude in the awarding of Saves & Wins. Jim Brower (someone help me if I'm wrong) not receiving a win 2 years ago comes to mind.

Edit: No Save anyway because the lead was too large.

That rule states the official scorer shall credit a pitcher with a save when such pitcher meets all four of the following conditions[1]:1. He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team 2. He is not the winning pitcher 3. He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched 4. He satisfies one of the following conditions:   1. He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning   2. He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat or on deck   3. He pitches for at least three innings 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_(baseball)

Ridiculous.

That would not qualify for a save.

Another thing you have to look at though is that a fly ball is any ball hit in the air. So many, not all, of his fly outs over the past couple of years are indeed pop ups to the infield or catcher. That is one thing to remember -- even a foul out to the catcher is a fly out.

Even if a few were pop ups, the disparity between GB and FB is too big.

Ridiculous.

A pitcher that comes in a game with 6-0 lead in the 9th, CAN NOT get a save... despite the final score ending 6-5. You can not pitch yourself into a save situation.

MLB Rules

Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:

Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:

(1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and

(2) He is not the winning pitcher; and

(3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:

- (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or

- (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or

- © He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.

Nobody wants to dump Sherrill, but I think anybody arguing that a 31 y/o closer is more valuable than 2 good, young, MLB-ready prospects at positions of need to a 70-75 win team is way off base.

Could we really get that much for Sherrill?

Last year Eric Gagne was traded for Kason Gabbard, David Murphy and Engel Beltre.

In 2006 Bob Wickman was traded for Max Ramirez.

Maybe Sherrill would get you more than these two, if he performs well, becuase he's cheaper. But two major league ready position players? I don't know about that.

If you can get 2 or 3 very good young players for Sherrill at the break, you've gotta do it, IMO. If he can pile up 20-25 saves by the ASB, he is a valuable, valuable trade piece.

Exactamundo! (for all you Happy Days fans!)

Let's just say the Dodgers called and said they'd offer us Laroche and Hu for Sherrill...would you do it? Of course you would!

I don't think that anyone is saying we GIVE Sherrill away. If you are made an offer you can't refuse...you do it.

This isn't rocket science. :confused:

Here are my concerns about Sherrill:

1) He has never thrown more than 45.2 innings in a season...He is currently on pace to throw about 60 innings.

2) He is going to face a lot more righties...Only in 2004 did Sherrill pitched to more righties than lefties...He has basically been a LOOGY. Now, he has had decent success versus righties(712 OPS) but the OBP against him is 370 for righties.

3) His GB/FB rate gets worse every year...Before he was in Safeco and it wasn't as bad because it is a big park but it figures to be worse in Baltimore because of OPACY and higher humidity.

So, increased workload, seeing more righties and his GB rates worry me a lot for the long term. Not to mention, he isn't exactly young either.

So, I think he should be dealt provided the right deal is on the table.

Archived