The myth of the O's as a good defensive team

webbrick2010

I have seen Adam misplay a couple of balls jumping up and missing the ball totally, doesn't pick up the error, either. So how does that get reflected in the metrics?

He has made great plays too.

But, isn't this what we get with Adam in CF?

Advanced metrics don't care about errors (because they are completely idiotic). UZR attempts to categorize balls hit into different zones at various speeds and judges how likely other players were to turn that ball into an out. There is no credence given to whether or not he jumped/misplayed/etc unless he gave up an extra base because of it.

Advanced metrics don't care about errors (because they are completely idiotic). UZR attempts to categorize balls hit into different zones at various speeds and judges how likely other players were to turn that ball into an out. There is no credence given to whether or not he jumped/misplayed/etc unless he gave up an extra base because of it.

Oh okay.

My kid plays Little League and at the 9-11 age group there's almost no differentiation between a hit and an error. If you manage to make contact, put the ball in fair territory and subsequently get on base that's an accomplishment whether or not the fielder played a role. The kids get cheered just as much either way. I wonder what level that stops being true?

My kid plays Little League and at the 9-11 age group there's almost no differentiation between a hit and an error. If you manage to make contact, put the ball in fair territory and subsequently get on base that's an accomplishment whether or not the fielder played a role. The kids get cheered just as much either way. I wonder what level that stops being true?

I once got a resume from a job applicant that included his batting average in his summer softball league. Aside from wondering what relevance the applicant thought this would have to potential law firm employers, I also wondered who was deciding what was a hit and what was an error in his softball league. Did someone actually keep statistics, or was he keeping track and making the scoring decisions himself? In any event, he didn't get the job.

I once got a resume from a job applicant that included his batting average in his summer softball league. Aside from wondering what relevance the applicant thought this would have to potential law firm employers, I also wondered who was deciding what was a hit and what was an error in his softball league. Did someone actually keep statistics, or was he keeping track and making the scoring decisions himself? In any event, he didn't get the job.

Using average instead of OBP or OPS would have been enough for me. In fact, the entire interview would have revolved around the process used to choose batting average.

What was his UZR?

Often a resume is just a name with essentially the same qualifications as the other 26 resumes in the pile. If I saw a resume with WAR or OPS in softball that would make me want to talk to the guy, I'd put him in the "give him an interview" stack if everything else was close. But I'm weird, that doesn't mean anything to even 50% of the 20% of the population that follows baseball. I guess BA might bump that percentage up a bit.

With BA I'd be afraid he was just some big doofus who actually thought hitting .822 in rec softball, with him acting as his own official scorer, meant something. Or that we'd hire him to win the branch softball showdown at the picnic. (Maybe I would, since we lost last year and I was forced to pose for a picture with an ARod jersey on. Dirty, I feel so dirty, can't wash enough...)

Often a resume is just a name with essentially the same qualifications as the other 26 resumes in the pile. If I saw a resume with WAR or OPS in softball that would make me want to talk to the guy, I'd put him in the "give him an interview" stack if everything else was close. But I'm weird, that doesn't mean anything to even 50% of the 20% of the population that follows baseball. I guess BA might bump that percentage up a bit.

With BA I'd be afraid he was just some big doofus who actually thought hitting .822 in rec softball, with him acting as his own official scorer, meant something. Or that we'd hire him to win the branch softball showdown at the picnic. (Maybe I would, since we lost last year and I was forced to pose for a picture with an ARod jersey on. Dirty, I feel so dirty, can't wash enough...)

If you were a prison warden and a guy came in who just K'd a PIT MILB prospect twice, then managed a LL team to the championship and found a way to also see Brooks in his prime, would you hire him? :scratchchinhmm:

If you were a prison warden and a guy came in who just K'd a PIT MILB prospect twice, then managed a LL team to the championship and found a way to also see Brooks in his prime, would you hire him? :scratchchinhmm:

Are you talking about Charlie Sheen, Walter Matthau, or yourself? :)

Wow! I'd never even considered that Old#5 was an amalgamation of Charlie Sheen, Walter Matthau and Bob! I have newfound respect for his supposed biography.

And the bucket list only has one item left....(which constantly updates as it is met ;) #3some*

* just got me a wild boar from 200 yard with a pea shooter

Archived