Options for Wednesday start?

bpilktree

O's front office (and/or Angelos) need to ask themselves, is Ubaldo more valuable to the team if he is gone, or if they continue to let him touch the mound in some fashion. Either way, they have to pay him. I think it's clear at this point that the money would be better spent if they pay him to go away for good

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despaigne threw 27 pitches in a day game. I'd patchwork him and whomever wasn't used Tuesday. Ubaldo shouldn't even be on a major league roster at this point.

As to the Wright question, would have called up Despaigne or Gunkel. Bringing up a terrible starter like Wright after you were sending a messagethat he needed a pot of work is just a poor move.

But he pitched well in his first start back. I'd say it was the right move.

O's front office (and/or Angelos) need to ask themselves, is Ubaldo more valuable to the team if he is gone, or if they continue to let him touch the mound in some fashion. Either way, they have to pay him. I think it's clear at this point that the money would be better spent if they pay him to go away for good

I'd be convinced of this position if the Orioles had deserving candidates to replace him. They don't. Maybe when Worley comes back. Until then, it's better to hope that he can be decent for a start or two than to just chuck him off the team. This team is so starved for starting pitching options it can't afford to just cut bait on a guy because he stinks. Half the rotation stinks.

With off days we'd only need a 5th SP three times until the ASB

6/22 SD

6/28 @SD

7/5 @LAD

It's looking like Ubaldo will get the first crack at it on the 22nd just based off there aren't other options. I think he could give you 5IP and 3ER in 2/3 of those starts.

San Diego is averaging 4.1 R/G in the NL.

The only good games thrown by Ubaldo in his last 10 starts:

Against Oakland (8 IP, 2 ER, 10 base-runners)

Against Kansas City (5 IP, 1 ER, 12 base-runners)

...for comparison sakes that was against the 2nd and 4th worse offenses in the AL, respectively.

I personally think Ubaldo was extremely lucky in that Royals game. A lot of great defensive plays saved his rear end.

I'd be ecstatic with 5 IP and 3ER against the Padres, but I think his confidence is a mess and his mechanics are all over the place. I'm not optimistic. Would much prefer Despaigne.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> still TBD on Wednesday starter vs SD. Buck said he wouldn't handicap whether starter will be from pen or the minors. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">June 20, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Asked Buck if Bundy was possibility for Wed: "Everybody is in play. You. If you can show me a good arm down there, you’re in play." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Asked Buck if Bundy was possibility for Wed: "Everybody is in play. You. If you can show me a good arm down there, you?re in play." <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>? Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

Wow! Really?

Starting Ubaldo is an epic fail for DD. They removed him from the rotation because

he was horrible. In his only appearance out of the bullpen he was horrible.

Starting him makes it glaringly obvious that DD failed to build the necessary pitching

depth to field a championship quality team. I say that realizing that this team is currently

in first place, I just do not believe that to be sustainable with the current group of starters.

Archived