Fix the SP, and you have a Playoff team

21xxxv

I wouldn't give up Mike Wright for Rich Hill. No way in hell.

Look, Hill has had a nice three months, but he's been a crap pitcher his entire career, including when he was here before. Mike Wright is a guy with a lot of upside (though admittedly many question whether he'll figure it out between the ears, myself included. Still, you can't teach 95 MPH and a wicked slider). Hill, with his track record and the fact that he's a soon to be FA, isn't worth much. He's a huge gamble, IMO. When does his bubble burst? Could be anytime. Even if Wright doesn't work out as a starter, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he ended up in the back end of our 'pen in another year or two. When Britton hits free agency, he's liable to be our next closer. I'm not trading a potential starter/closer for Rich Hill. No way.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look, Hill has had a nice three months, but he's been a crap pitcher his entire career, including when he was here before. Mike Wright is a guy with a lot of upside (though admittedly many question whether he'll figure it out between the ears, myself included. Still, you can't teach 95 MPH and a wicked slider). Hill, with his track record and the fact that he's a soon to be FA, isn't worth much. He's a huge gamble, IMO. When does his bubble burst? Could be anytime. Even if Wright doesn't work out as a starter, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he ended up in the back end of our 'pen in another year or two. When Britton hits free agency, he's liable to be our next closer. I'm not trading a potential starter/closer for Rich Hill. No way.

I don't see how Mike Wright had a wicked slider. I saw a guy with terrible fastball command. His secondaries were useless most starts because he was either behind in counts or couldn't throw them for strikes when he needed to. Even when he did snap off a few good off speed pitches they were in counts where guys were taking anything but a belt high fastball.

I believe it's best for guys to keep starting to work on things and to log innings. But with Wright, I think it's time we make him a reliever. His command might be better with more regular work and hopefully his FB would sit at 97-98 like when he first came up last year. We made that decision with him last year and he got hurt right away.

Clearly you and others think Wright has a decent future but I do not. I would use him as a chip.

I don't see how Mike Wright had a wicked slider. I saw a guy with terrible fastball command. His secondaries were useless most starts because he was either behind in counts or couldn't throw them for strikes when he needed to. Even when he did snap off a few good off speed pitches they were in counts where guys were taking anything but a belt high fastball.

I believe it's best for guys to keep starting to work on things and to log innings. But with Wright, I think it's time we make him a reliever. His command might be better with more regular work and hopefully his FB would sit at 97-98 like when he first came up last year. We made that decision with him last year and he got hurt right away.

Opponents are OPSing .823 off Wright's slider and 1.255 off his cutter in his career. Wicked bad slider.

I think right now we have a playoff team if the rosters stay the same. The one problem I see is that the Red Sox need another starter and have a deep farm system that they can and will trade for another top half of the rotation starter. So if we want to stay ahead of them we will have to make some sort of move. Maybe not a top of rotation guy depleting the farm but something better then throwing Wright or Ubaldo out there.

I'm with you. Wright is frustrating as all get out. But he has skills you can't teach. Can't give up on him.

The Orioles' current rotation has an ERA of 4.41, that is inflated by Gallardo's 6.26 which will hopefully come down if he is healthier.

Find a fifth starter that can hold the line and the Orioles are a lot better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Orioles need to find a solid arm to fit in the fifth spot. Someone that isn't a walking catastrophe. That's it.

I disagree. We seem to have 4 or 3 1/2 good ones now, KG is the wildcard... That should be PLENTY with our pen and our offense. And defense. Plenty!

I disagree. We seem to have 4 or 3 1/2 good ones now, KG is the wildcard... That should be PLENTY with our pen and our offense. And defense. Plenty!

But you usually want a five man rotation and at the risk of missing sarcasm I would reiterate they just need a body that can throw an Sub 4.40 ERA for the remainder of the season.

Find a body, any body.

But you usually want a five man rotation and at the risk of missing sarcasm I would reiterate they just need a body that can throw an Sub 4.40 ERA for the remainder of the season.

Find a body, any body.

I'm saying 4 out of 5 is good enough. I don't want to give up minor league assets for dubious "help". We're thin enough as it is.

Find a body, any body.

And you don't need 5 or even 4 man rotations in the Playoffs. ;)

It is incredible that our record is what it is with the SP stats we have. Almost reminds me of 2005.. Biggest difference is probably the bullpen. If the rotation doesn't improve, I have a hard time believing we can sustain our pace.

Let's hope getting Ubaldo and Wright out of the rotation puts us in a better spot and we can start improving like we did second half of 2012. I'm not gonna lie, it does hurt to see Davies and Gonzo doing well. Mid 2014 we were very deep in our SP depth and DD has really screwed the pooch to get us to be as thin as we are.

Archived