Jim Callis of BA's 5/18 mock draft

markpolis

After talking to several GM's and scouts, Jim Callis has put out a mock draft for the upcoming amatuer draft. Here are some highlights:

1- TB - David Price, LHP, Vandy. Callis states the D-Rays are also considering Vitters and Wieters.

2 - Royals - Rick Porcello, RHP, HS. The Royals took Luke Hochevar last year and will consider doing the same with Max Scherzer if the D-Backs can't sign him before the draft. If the Royals want to stay under slot money they may go with Detwiler.

3 - Cubs - Josh Vitters, 3B, HS. The Cubs have been locked on Vitters for some time.

4 - Pirates - Baeu Mills, 3B, Lewis-Clarke State (Idaho). The Pirates love Vitters but will settle for the best hitting college player not represented by Boras.

5 - Orioles - Ross Detwiler, LHP, Missouri State. Callis states Baltimore wants pitching help after taking Snyder and Rowell with its last two first-round picks. The Orioles are unlikely to do business with Boras but should get their pick of the best college lefthanders, Detwiler and Moskos.

I'd be shocked and disappointed if the Orioles pass on Wieters just because he is represented by Boras. We don't a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year so we should have some extra cash to exceed slot money. IMO Wieters is a talent you cannot pass on and will regret for the next 10-15 years.

OTHER INTERESTING NOTES: Callis has Wieters falling all the way to #18 to the St. Louis Cardinals. Callis says Wieters is regarded as the best position player in the draft, but his ties to Boras and the belief that he’ll want a large major league contract may cause him to drop.

The major league contract SHOULD not be a big deal for any club regarding Wieters. It's not like he is a high school pitcher requesting a major league contract. Worst case scenario, Wieters will be ready for the majors in two years. Therefore this should be a non-issue.

With the 6th pick, Callis has the Nationals selecting Max Scherzer. Mike Rizzo was the DiamondBacks scouting director last year when they selected Scherzer with the 11th overall pick.

With the 7th pick, the Brewers select Mike Moustakas.

With the 8th pick, the Rockies select Daniel Moskos.

Moutakas and Moskos are two players also mentioned as possibilities for the Orioles.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting first mock by BA. If the Pirates do indeed take Mills (concerns over his defense have me skeptical), the Orioles should take Wieters or Moustakas with their only high pick. It mentions the O's preference to take a pitcher, since Rowell and Snyder have been selected the past two drafts. However, if that is actually their way of looking at it, then we are even more screwed up as an organization than I thought (hard to do). It boggles my mind to think that the O's prefer a position (pitcher)that is far better stocked than our hitting corps. With Beato, Erbe, Olson, Liz, Hoey, Hernandez, Berken and a few others on the way it seems that when comparing our hitters to them shows a noticeable organizational gap.

Take the best prospect (factoring in ceiling/attitude/skill base/instincts, etc...) available, with ties to the hitters :D

I'd be shocked and disappointed if the Orioles pass on Wieters just because he is represented by Boras. We don't a 2nd and 3rd round pick this year so we should have some extra cash to exceed slot money. IMO Wieters is a talent you cannot pass on and will regret for the next 10-15 years.

OTHER INTERESTING NOTES: Callis has Wieters falling all the way to #18 to the St. Louis Cardinals. Callis says Wieters is regarded as the best position player in the draft, but his ties to Boras and the belief that he’ll want a large major league contract may cause him to drop.

The major league contract SHOULD not be a big deal for any club regarding Wieters. It's not like he is a high school pitcher requesting a major league contract. Worst case scenario, Wieters will be ready for the majors in two years. Therefore this should be a non-issue.

It depends at what cost. If this becomes a situation of deja vu all over again it could be a nightmare w/Wieters. I remember another big time talented GT catcher represented by Boras which turned out disasterous for the Mariners and Twins. The player turned out to be pretty good (Varitek) but even he got screwed in the deal by starting his career later (and reaching FA later) than he should have.

But if that new rule is in effect this draft where if you don't sign the guy you get the same pick the next year I'd roll the dice and be willing to play hardball w/Boras.

Interesting first mock by BA. If the Pirates do indeed take Mills (concerns over his defense have me skeptical), the Orioles should take Wieters or Moustakas with their only high pick. It mentions the O's preference to take a pitcher, since Rowell and Snyder have been selected the past two drafts. However, if that is actually their way of looking at it, then we are even more screwed up as an organization than I thought (hard to do). It boggles my mind to think that the O's prefer a position (pitcher)that is far better stocked than our hitting corps. With Beato, Erbe, Olson, Liz, Hoey, Hernandez, Berken and a few others on the way it seems that when comparing our hitters to them shows a noticeable organizational gap.

Take the best prospect (factoring in ceiling/attitude/skill base/instincts, etc...) available, with ties to the hitters :D

I'd prefer them to take a hitter all things being equal but we still do have a shortage of pitching prospects. While the lack of hitters is even more pronounced one could argue that you'd bring a lot more talent into the organization by drafting the pitcher and then having the flexibility to trade a guy like Bedard for a package of young hitting talent.

It really is wide open. Guys like Mills moving into the top 10.

Based on all the articles I am seeing, the ONLY two guys who seem guaranteed to be gone by the time we draft are Price and Vitters.

It appears we will have a short at nearly everyone else. It seems to me that we should be focusing on Wieters, Porcello and Detwiler.

I think suggestions that we need a pitcher because the last two drafts we chose HS bats in the first round is speculation that is not appropriate. We've walked out of the past two drafts with Olson, Erbe and Beato. Pretty impressive, IMO. We also do not need any "fast moving" guys. Let's just keep stocking the system with the best players and good things will happen.

Regarding the extra $ we have due to not having picks in the second and third round, I'd rather spend it on a top talent who slips into the fourth round than spend $4M on the fifth pick.

5 - Orioles - Ross Detwiler, LHP, Missouri State. Callis states Baltimore wants pitching help after taking Snyder and Rowell with its last two first-round picks. The Orioles are unlikely to do business with Boras but should get their pick of the best college lefthanders, Detwiler and Moskos.

What is Callis thinking? We have a ton of good young pitching. We need hitters, impact players. If Weiters is there and we don't take him.:mad:

But if that new rule is in effect this draft where if you don't sign the guy you get the same pick the next year I'd roll the dice and be willing to play hardball w/Boras.

The rule is in effect and another good reason to roll the dice on Wieters.

I had forgotten that Varitek went to Georgia Tech. It's interesting because the one player Wieters reminds me of is Varitek. Both switch hit and have good power. Although I believe Varitek was stronger defensively coming out of college and Wieters is a slightly better hitter.

What is Callis thinking? We have a ton of good young pitching. We need hitters, impact players. If Weiters is there and we don't take him.:mad:

Unfortunately, this isn't just Callis' opinion. I've seen this idea about the Orioles going after pitching stated in several articles. I hope it's just a general misconception, but I'm afraid it might be the truth. It's pretty baffling to me.

Unfortunately, this isn't just Callis' opinion. I've seen this idea about the Orioles going after pitching stated in several articles. I hope it's just a general misconception, but I'm afraid it might be the truth. It's pretty baffling to me.

I believe that the biggest misconception about the Orioles is that there is enogh pitching in the system. There isn't, not by a long shot. Problem is we're in even worse shape when it comes to bats which is why I'd prefer a bat but that doesn't negate the fact that we still need (alot) more high quality pitching in the system.

I believe that the biggest misconception about the Orioles is that there is enogh pitching in the system. There isn't, not by a long shot. Problem is we're in even worse shape when it comes to bats which is why I'd prefer a bat but that doesn't negate the fact that we still need (alot) more high quality pitching in the system.

Right. I understand that we badly need talented pitching in our system, insofaras we badly need talent in our system in general. But if a system is generally deficient, shouldn't our priority be to address the greatest deficiency (position players) first?

Right. I understand that we badly need talented pitching in our system, insofaras we badly need talent in our system in general. But if a system is generally deficient, shouldn't our priority be to address the greatest deficiency (position players) first?

All things being equal, sure. But if there is a pitcher there that they like better than the hitters available we shouldn't hesitate. But I do believe that this discussion and the predictions are all academic as I believe Jordan will take whomever he thinks is the best player* regardless of position.

* best signable player

The rule is in effect and another good reason to roll the dice on Wieters.

I had forgotten that Varitek went to Georgia Tech. It's interesting because the one player Wieters reminds me of is Varitek. Both switch hit and have good power. Although I believe Varitek was stronger defensively coming out of college and Wieters is a slightly better hitter.

Actually, Wieters is a much more advanced hitter at this stage than Varitek was and his arm is significantly stronger than Varitek's was. Varitek may have been just a bit better as a receiver, but not by much in college. To me, Varitek's biggest strength was always his competitiveness and leadership. I haven't seen Wieters enough to say he is anywhere near Varitek there, and I haven't read anything good or bad on that either.

I still wonder if the D-Rays won't pass on Price and take one of their other "considerations."

Maybe the Brazelton experience is still a hard pill to swallow (and after all, Vandy is just up the road a little from Brazelton's Middle Tennessee State U. No, there's no real relevance or connection there at all, but I'm just sayin'...)

What are you talking about?? You don't consider Olson, Beato, Erbe, Hernandez, Spoone, and Liz prospects? I might even be missing some. And thats not considering Penn. Bergeson also pitching well and lets not forget Hoey. I think it's stronger than most organization.

Archived