Jim Callis of BA's 5/18 mock draft

markpolis

Maybe they pick a guy or two like Chad Jones OF or Travis Mattair 3B in the next few picks, two HS'ers who have great tools but may slide due to $$$ or inexperience in baseball. Then I'd be okay with Detwiler at #5, but not elated by any means. There may be others that slide, and we have to make a few of these picks if we are going to give away picks for middle-relievers.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think stockpiling young pitching is the best way to go for the Orioles. When the term "Builiding from within" is used, it's not meant to be super specific that a team can't be produced without free agent as well as trades. It would seem to me that the Orioles as of late have had a succesful string of producing good pitchers. Markakis to me seems like a once in a decade type player, and counting on that to happen again is pointless. The more young pitching you have, in general, the better are you off. Teams are a heck of a lot more likely to give away good hitting to get good pitching then the other way around. If you're the Orioles, getting a young pitcher and grooming him would seem like a good idea to me. If he doesn't have a place in the rotation, fine... but make sure it's because someone has raised there level of play to overtake that player's spot. Ship him off to another team and get back a good hitter in return. That's building from within. You're taking resources that you created, and using them to further develop the squad in a positive manner.

We can all learn something from the team at 1 winning drive here. The Baltimore Raven's got to where they are because plain and simple, they draft well. They have a solid nucleus, and they add onto it. Taking the best availible player would seem like an awfully good idea for the Orioles, in this situation as well. Drafting a "good hitting prospect" because we don't have any seems pointless. Maybe we don't "have any" because we can't develop them. What we do have are a fair amount of good pitchers, and as we've seen this year, good pitching can take you places. Our rotation has been great these past few weeks, heads are flying... yet we're only a half game out of 2nd. No matter how far back we are from the Sox, I'll take it. You can't go wrong with having a farm system full of arms.

That being said, I think the best place that we can go is Phillip Aumont (sorry if I spelled his name incorrectly). He's big, he's got movement on his pitches and he has some good command. Yes he's raw, but who cares? Let him sit in the minors for a few years and build some confidence. We've seen what happens with our track record in drafting pitchers as of late, (especially ones from up north)... It'd strike me as stupid to fill another spot just because don't have any good prospects. You can sign good hitting with alot of money, pitching is a whole heck of lot harder to get and project... go with what works.

I think stockpiling young pitching is the best way to go for the Orioles. When the term "Builiding from within" is used, it's not meant to be super specific that a team can't be produced without free agent as well as trades. It would seem to me that the Orioles as of late have had a succesful string of producing good pitchers. Markakis to me seems like a once in a decade type player, and counting on that to happen again is pointless. The more young pitching you have, in general, the better are you off. Teams are a heck of a lot more likely to give away good hitting to get good pitching then the other way around. If you're the Orioles, getting a young pitcher and grooming him would seem like a good idea to me. If he doesn't have a place in the rotation, fine... but make sure it's because someone has raised there level of play to overtake that player's spot. Ship him off to another team and get back a good hitter in return. That's building from within. You're taking resources that you created, and using them to further develop the squad in a positive manner.

We can all learn something from the team at 1 winning drive here. The Baltimore Raven's got to where they are because plain and simple, they draft well. They have a solid nucleus, and they add onto it. Taking the best availible player would seem like an awfully good idea for the Orioles, in this situation as well. Drafting a "good hitting prospect" because we don't have any seems pointless. Maybe we don't "have any" because we can't develop them. What we do have are a fair amount of good pitchers, and as we've seen this year, good pitching can take you places. Our rotation has been great these past few weeks, heads are flying... yet we're only a half game out of 2nd. No matter how far back we are from the Sox, I'll take it. You can't go wrong with having a farm system full of arms.

That being said, I think the best place that we can go is Phillip Aumont (sorry if I spelled his name incorrectly). He's big, he's got movement on his pitches and he has some good command. Yes he's raw, but who cares? Let him sit in the minors for a few years and build some confidence. We've seen what happens with our track record in drafting pitchers as of late, (especially ones from up north)... It'd strike me as stupid to fill another spot just because don't have any good prospects. You can sign good hitting with alot of money, pitching is a whole heck of lot harder to get and project... go with what works.

A little late I see, but welcome to the Hangout! :)

I agree w/you on some points and disagree on others. I agree that having outstanding pitching talent is harder to come by (for most teams) but loading up on pitching talent at the detriment of positional talent is short-sighted. A balance is the goal of most successful franchises. We should not choose a hitter, or focus on hitting in this draft, if a better player happens to be a pitcher. I advocate taking the best talent available, regardless of HS/College or Pitcher/Hitter. Hence my wanting Porcello over Moustakas (still wavering :D ).

Aumont is a outstanding prospect and merits high praise and consideration for a top ten selection. Porcello is rated by the majority of scouts as a better prospect at this time, but not by much.

Good post and again "Welcome Aboard!"

Jammer,

Right now, in the following order, I would choose these players if we were selecting #1;

Vitters/Wieters/Price/Heyward/Porcello/Moustakas

You and I see Detwiler about the same; we'd prefer another choice.

My top 10 board would rank as follows:

1. David Price LHP - clear #1, polished and advanced

2. Matt Wieters C# - power-hitting switch-hitting C w/ advanced approach

3. Rick Porcello RHP - projects four plus pitches, command of FB, ath. body, poised and mature, a true #1 starter type

4. Josh Vitters 3B - great hitter, is power projection fading a little?

5. Jason Heyward RF* - has power, athleticism and adv. approach

6. Mike Moustakas 3B* - pure hitter, great arm

7. Jarrod Parker RHP - quick arm, mid 90's FB w/ command, savvy and poise

8. Madison Bumgarner LHP - projection pick, mid-90's FB, needs pro coaching to establish secondary pitches

9. Ross Detwiler LHP - solid all-around, a little skinny

10. Matt Harvey RHP - similar to Porcello, just not quite the polish and poise

Just missing are Blake Beavan RHP, Phillipe Aumont RHP, Daniel Moskos LHP, Beau Mills 3B* and Josh Smoker LHP.

The more I read on Beavan, the more I do not understand why he isn't rated higher. This guy was a "go to" pitcher for TeamUSA baseball last summer, has a sustained record of success and is a big projectable guy. I also like what I read on Aumont and Bumgarner.

I really like these HS pitchers, but Jordan has not drafted a HS arm before the third round as the Os scouting director.

My top 10 board would rank as follows:

1. David Price LHP - clear #1, polished and advanced

2. Matt Wieters C# - power-hitting switch-hitting C w/ advanced approach

3. Rick Porcello RHP - projects four plus pitches, command of FB, ath. body, poised and mature, a true #1 starter type

4. Josh Vitters 3B - great hitter, is power projection fading a little?

5. Jason Heyward RF* - has power, athleticism and adv. approach

6. Mike Moustakas 3B* - pure hitter, great arm

7. Jarrod Parker RHP - quick arm, mid 90's FB w/ command, savvy and poise

8. Madison Bumgarner LHP - projection pick, mid-90's FB, needs pro coaching to establish secondary pitches

9. Ross Detwiler LHP - solid all-around, a little skinny

10. Matt Harvey RHP - similar to Porcello, just not quite the polish and poise

Just missing are Blake Beavan RHP, Phillipe Aumont RHP, Daniel Moskos LHP, Beau Mills 3B* and Josh Smoker LHP.

We are similar, my top ten is as follows:

1. Vitters (3B)- Based on scouting reports and my own opinion, Vitters is a better prospect than Billy Rowell was, although very close. Among the best HS hitters to come out of the draft in years. Defense only concern, but it seems to project okay.

2. Wieters ©- Outstanding projection, experienced smart player, switch hitter with solid power and a good defender behind the dish boasting a well above average arm. Big and a sound athlete for his size (6'5 230)

3. Price (LHP)- A true top of the rotation pitcher, experienced, poised and polished with a remarkable amateur history. Shows power stuff as a southpaw with fine command of his secondary stuff. Safe bet as far as pitchers go.

4. Heyward (OF/1B)- Fred McGriff comparisons seem valid. Power hitting corner OF, maybe a move to 1B down the road, sweet swinging lefty has light tower power and is a solid tools guy across the board. A shade behind Vitters as a hitter, as much potential as anyone.

5. Porcello (RHP)- An ace in the making. Barring injury or other unforeseen events Porcello has everything you want in a true #1 starter. Great velocity and solid command of 3-4 plus pitches. Athletic with solid projection and clean mechanics.

6. Moustakas (3B/C?)- Only Heyward's power can compare to Moustakas. Moustakas seems to be a more advanced hitter at this stage (a year older helps) with plus plus power and solid contact from the left side. Great arm strength which tops out at 97mph, giving him a rocket for either 3B or if a team wishes to really project, behind the plate. As good as it gets in the HS ranks with the bat. Defensive concerns and lack of much physical projection (6' 185) leaves Moustakas a hair behind his two HS mates.

7. Kevin Ahrens (3B) Chipper Jones comparisons may be a little too much for Ahrens to live up to, but his beautiful swing from both sides and power stroke do remind scouts of Jones. He is not the athlete or runner that Jones was, but is a solid athlete with a projectable skill-set. Soft hands and a plus arm project well for his eventual move to 3B.

8. Jarrod Parker (RHP) Tim Lincecum comps seem fair, although he is taller and should fill out his frame better. Outstanding FB, solid CB and avg/plus change-up. Could be the #1 pick in 3 years should he sign on w/Georgia Tech. What's not to like? =)

9. Josh Smoker (LHP) Smoker is a Georgia HS lefty who tinkers during games with 6 pitches. He plays with a low 90's FB and has drawn comparisons to Andy Pettite with his poise and makeup. Hard worker/well liked with an outstanding amateur resume'.

10. Detwiler (LHP) I don't mean to seem as if I am Detwiler-bashing. He is very solid projectable college lefty with plenty of upside, but a shaky junior campaign and thin frame (tried adding weight, has been unsuccessful so far) leave me more hesitant than most. Projects out as a #3 in my eyes, but could surprise. Still, a very good selection at #10.

The next ten includes> Devin Mesaraco ©, Blake Beaven (RHP), Phillipe Aumont (RHP), Joe Savery (LHP) and my draft 'sleeper' (projected as the 36th best by BA) Will Middlebrooks (3B)

Here's what I like about Heyward.

Short stroke= More likely to do well against advanced competition and less likely to be a big strikeout guy.

Advanced approach=Will take the walk when he doesn't get his pitch. Another thing that points to future success against advanced competition.

Track Record= Has done well against the best HS pitchers in the country in the 2006 showcase events.

Defense=Ability to be an adequate to better than average as a corner OF or a 1B.

Project=He's not one. He's already advanced. Already has power.

Ceiling=Has big time power potential.

Weakness=It's hard to find one.

Based on what i have heard from you guys, i like Heyward as well...He is the way i would go if Weiters, Vitters and of course Price aren't there.

Porcello is right there with Heyward as well.

One of those 5 will be there when we draft..I just hope we take one of them.

The more I read on Beavan, the more I do not understand why he isn't rated higher. This guy was a "go to" pitcher for TeamUSA baseball last summer, has a sustained record of success and is a big projectable guy. I also like what I read on Aumont and Bumgarner.

I really like these HS pitchers, but Jordan has not drafted a HS arm before the third round as the Os scouting director.

Beaven is a beast, but the biggest problem scouts have had with him is that his delivery has a lot of recoil and effort. This concerns scouts about potential future injuries. He sure shows a heck of a lot of ability though and barring injury may turn out as good as any in the draft.

Here's what I like about Heyward.

Short stroke= More likely to do well against advanced competition and less likely to be a big strikeout guy.

Advanced approach=Will take the walk when he doesn't get his pitch. Another thing that points to future success against advanced competition.

Track Record= Has done well against the best HS pitchers in the country in the 2006 showcase events.

Defense=Ability to be an adequate to better than average as a corner OF or a 1B.

Project=He's not one. He's already advanced. Already has power.

Ceiling=Has big time power potential.

Weakness=It's hard to find one.

It would be sweet to grab him at #5.

Where do you guys put Scherzer on your list?

I don't think we need to worry about Scherzer. Boras realizes there is a very good chance he falls lower than where he was taken last year and he signs with the D-Backs.

If he falls back into the draft I believe he'll go in the 10-20 range.

A little late I see, but welcome to the Hangout! :)

I agree w/you on some points and disagree on others. I agree that having outstanding pitching talent is harder to come by (for most teams) but loading up on pitching talent at the detriment of positional talent is short-sighted. A balance is the goal of most successful franchises. We should not choose a hitter, or focus on hitting in this draft, if a better player happens to be a pitcher. I advocate taking the best talent available, regardless of HS/College or Pitcher/Hitter. Hence my wanting Porcello over Moustakas (still wavering :D ).

Aumont is a outstanding prospect and merits high praise and consideration for a top ten selection. Porcello is rated by the majority of scouts as a better prospect at this time, but not by much.

Good post and again "Welcome Aboard!"

Thanks for the great welcome, I'm pretty much an everyday visitor of the Orioles talk site to see the latest news in regards to the Orioles. I just don't know that much so I don't post that often.

Back to baseball, however. I think we're thinking in the same way, just with different opinions on rankings. However, there is one thing that I disagree on. A well balanced farm system is certainly best case scenario, but I have to wonder what is the case when the last prospect before Markakis to come up through the system was whom? I'm not too sure, but I think it was in fact Brian Roberts. To me, that shows more than just general bad luck, it shows poor development. Brandon Snyder, for example. What's he doing? To me, if your the Orioles as of now, the rotation is one of the things that you can build off of that they've done a genuinely good job with. I don't think anyone can complain about the enormous potential in regards to Bedard, Loewen or Cabrera. When you throw in the likes of Hayden Penn who to me just seems snake bit, or a guy like Garret Olsen. You're onto something here. Take a look at yesterdays box score, Brandon Erbe... as well. The Orioles have had some success drafting and grooming pitchers and in return the pitchers have turned out well for the Orioles. While nobody expects every prospect that I've named to pan out... some of them are certainly going to be around for the long haul. When you have a surplus of young pitching, it just seems to me that you have so many more options. Thats what the Orioles need, options. They need to win, first and foremost. But they don't really have any options as of now? What are they going to do? Fire Perlozzo... that won't do much. One of Peter Angelos's main issues is not getting a good enough return for something he deems as valuable. With a surplus in pitching, he would hopefully be more apt to dealing off some talent to recieve it. You don't think a pitching prospect or two could land us Andruw Jones, or even big Mark Tex? I think it would along with a few other pieces.

That's what the Orioles need in my un-educated yet very passionate opinion. Places to go besides down... options.

Thanks for the great welcome, I'm pretty much an everyday visitor of the Orioles talk site to see the latest news in regards to the Orioles. I just don't know that much so I don't post that often.

Back to baseball, however. I think we're thinking in the same way, just with different opinions on rankings. However, there is one thing that I disagree on. A well balanced farm system is certainly best case scenario, but I have to wonder what is the case when the last prospect before Markakis to come up through the system was whom? I'm not too sure, but I think it was in fact Brian Roberts. To me, that shows more than just general bad luck, it shows poor development. Brandon Snyder, for example. What's he doing? To me, if your the Orioles as of now, the rotation is one of the things that you can build off of that they've done a genuinely good job with. I don't think anyone can complain about the enormous potential in regards to Bedard, Loewen or Cabrera. When you throw in the likes of Hayden Penn who to me just seems snake bit, or a guy like Garret Olsen. You're onto something here. Take a look at yesterdays box score, Brandon Erbe... as well. The Orioles have had some success drafting and grooming pitchers and in return the pitchers have turned out well for the Orioles. While nobody expects every prospect that I've named to pan out... some of them are certainly going to be around for the long haul. When you have a surplus of young pitching, it just seems to me that you have so many more options. Thats what the Orioles need, options. They need to win, first and foremost. But they don't really have any options as of now? What are they going to do? Fire Perlozzo... that won't do much. One of Peter Angelos's main issues is not getting a good enough return for something he deems as valuable. With a surplus in pitching, he would hopefully be more apt to dealing off some talent to recieve it. You don't think a pitching prospect or two could land us Andruw Jones, or even big Mark Tex? I think it would along with a few other pieces.

That's what the Orioles need in my un-educated yet very passionate opinion. Places to go besides down... options.

As far as positional prospects are concerned, you are correct in that the O's have had sparse success in developing them for many years. Hiowever, Joe Jordan and Dave Stockstill bring a new player development tandem to the franchise that seems to be working. What has happened in the past should not be an indicator of future projection when the player development situation has changed so dramatically.

We're not completely devoid of positional prospects, as Rowell, Riemold, Tripp, Adams, Snyder, Vinyard and a few others offer us some hope. Given time AND free-reign to choose the prospects they wish, JJ/DS will hopefully offer us all hope with an abundance of pitching and positional talent working their way to the majors. Now if only we would stop losing our high draft picks it would make their job a whole lot easier. :mad:

Archived