The Padres mini-series, June 28-29

Frobby

The next two nights feature a rematch with the Padres, this time at their pitcher-friendly ballpark. Here are the pitching matchups:

Jimenez (4-7, 6.97) v. Johnson (0-5, 8.54)

Gallardo (2-1, 6.04) v. Freidrich (4-2, 3.60)

We saw Johnson last week and clobbered him, 6 ER in 4 IP. Jimenez, on the other hand, handled the Padres pretty well, allowing only 2 ER in 6 IP. Would it be too much to ask to get two decent games in a row from him?

Friedrich joined the Padres' rotation in mid-May and did well his first 6 starts but has struggled over his last two. Gallardo has had two starts since coming off the DL and was serviceable but not spectacular.

The Pads have played solid ball in June, going 13-11. San Diego's offense is not bad, and ranks 5th in runs scored during June (the Orioles are first). Wil Myers, Matt Kemp, Jon Jay and Derek Norris all have been hot. Their bullpen is a real weakness (4.22 ERA, 22nd in MLB).

I think the key here (and over the next 9 games in general) is not to get too homer-happy and show some patience. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to score on the Padres' pitchers. If our pitchers can keep the Padres offense at just their normal production, we should be able to outscore them.

Os not seeing Pomeranz is great. SD bullpen started the year great but then could not get anyone out. Just try and avoid LHP Buchter. He's pretty good.

Padres, after not hitting early this season tend to score a lot of runs now so chances are 1 or both will be high scoring games.

On another note, what did I do to deserve having to watch ubaldo tonight? You couldn't wait until the Seattle or Dodgers series buck! Paying to watch ubaldo makes me feel like a fool.

No DH so we lose Alvarez. Trumbo and Kim have to cover a lot more ground in the OF. I expect the SP to pitch well. We just need to have a lead going into the 6th and win these games.

Friedrich is a lefty. So it will be Nolan or Joey in left tomorrow -- maybe both with a day off for Trumbo or Davis?

Friedrich is a lefty. So it will be Nolan or Joey in left tomorrow -- maybe both with a day off for Trumbo or Davis?

I'd expect Rickard to get the start. Nolan looked out of whack in his PH AB tonight. Schoop is on fire. I thought he would have a big year but I didn't see .300 happening.

Archived