Give Bundy a few starts?

BarclaySouthway

How should we use Bundy the rest of the year?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. How should we use Bundy the rest of the year?

• Leave him in his present role
    • Give him a couple starts and try to stay under the innings limit.
    • Put him in the rotation and start him the rest of the year.

This poll is closed to new votes

Is there any proof at all that innings limits do anything?

This is an interesting question, one that's coming up for the Blue Jays with Aaron Sanchez this season. He's been almost an ace for them, but they were planning on following the "last season's IP +50" formula which would get him moved to the bullpen pretty soon.

However, word is that he doesn't want to move to the bullpen, and from looking at other teams that have shut down pitchers to limited success (like the Nats and their infamous Strasburg shutdown), the Jays are wavering now and may let him pitch all season. Will be interesting, especially for me since I have Sanchez in fantasy ;)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is an interesting question, one that's coming up for the Blue Jays with Aaron Sanchez this season. He's been almost an ace for them, but they were planning on following the "last season's IP +50" formula which would get him moved to the bullpen pretty soon.

However, word is that he doesn't want to move to the bullpen, and from looking at other teams that have shut down pitchers to limited success (like the Nats and their infamous Strasburg shutdown), the Jays are wavering now and may let him pitch all season. Will be interesting, especially for me since I have Sanchez in fantasy ;)

The way Strasburg has been pitching this season, seams to make a good case that the team handled his rehab and recovery, correctly.

I think the idea is that there's still not a lot of evidence to suggest you need to stop at set thresholds, that Strasburg was injured a bunch last season, and that the Nats got brushed out of the playoffs in 2012. But you're right, Strasburg is healthy today and pitching great.

Here's a study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25784395

I think his 2015 season was a fluke, wrist and shoulder injuries. Not related to his TJ.

His TJ was in 2011, and he then pitched 160, 181 and then 215 innings.

I'd like to see Bundy kept to between 80-100 innings this year. He's at 38 right now, giving him 62 more. What I would like to see is him remain where he is through July and then put into the rotation in late August, give him five starts and see what you have. If he's solid enough, he becomes one of your starters for the playoffs. If not, he at least gave you a better chance to win those five games than Jimenez/Wright/Wilson. If you do this plan, he's probably around 55-60 innings by the time you transition him to the rotation. In those five starts, he goes five innings for the first 3 or so and then maybe 6 the next two. That gives you 27 more. You're then up to 82-87, giving him a couple starts in the postseason if needed.

Everything I'm reading is basically just a new way of DD and Buck using Bundy the same way they have all year. Piggy backing him with Wilson. Unfortunately for the Orioles, it's worked out that every 4-6 days at least one of our starters get rocked and Bundy can come pitch multiple innings. So it looks like he's on some schedule or they're letting him go more innings but really it's the same role he's been in all year. They said 60-70 innings earlier and he's right on target for that.

I think we make a trade or two before we go that route. Heck we might be saving Bundy for game 3 of the ALDS.

• 1 month later...

Give Bundy a Few Starts ???

The O's have 17 straight games out of the all-star break that take them to the trade deadline. What do you think about giving the kid a few starts during that stretch? Beyond our top 2 starters, he's got the best chance to give us 5+ good innings. I think I am for it.

If his limit is in the 80 range, three 5-inning starts leave him with about 30 innings to go in the last 58 games. And maybe we pick up a serviceable starter at the deadline.

It doesn't solve our starting pitching woes, but it might help keep us afloat into August.

5 WEEKS LATER:

Well, this turned out to be a good idea ......... one that I WAS NOT in favor of at the time.

Have a greenie.

Archived