Bowden: Manny's agent proposed a long-term deal to the O's before the season started

Frobby

Good point, and it broke my heart when he was traded, and for what?

Probably the 2nd worst trade after the Glenn Davis fiasco.

I think the Arrieta trade is looking worse. Eddie was never quite as good after leaving Baltimore, and he was awfully disgruntled here in his last 2-3 seasons and the team was losing. It remains to be seen whether Arrieta will have a long period of being an excellent pitcher or whether he's a shooting star, but we have an excellent team right now that would be among the World Series favorites if we had a no.1 starter. And yes, I know that there's no guarantee Arrieta would have succeeded in Baltimore, but I sure wish now that we could have found out. (Complete 20/20 hindsight here; I was in favor of that trade when it happened.)

Anyway, let's not turn this into an Arrieta thread. The point of this thread is that Manny is clearly open to extending with the Orioles. His agent made a concrete proposal, to which the Orioles haven't responded. It seems pretty clear from the article that Manny hasn't been put off by the lack of a response, and is still open to the idea. I think now is a good time to negotiate with Manny's agents, because the team is winning and that always puts the player in a positive frame of mind about the team. I really hope the O's put their best foot forward on this.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, we have him until 2020 if we don't sign him, so if we signed him to six years we are getting 2 extra for all the general risk of a player declining or getting injured. To me, that seems like a poor deal unless we A) can get him for a very, very good price and B) think he's going to be 2016 Schoop or better going forward.

They have him under team control for three more years, 2017-2019. Six years would keep him under team control through his age 30 season.

Obviously you don't sign him unless the deal makes sense from a money standpoint.

They have him under team control for three more years, 2017-2019. Six years would keep him under team control through his age 30 season.

In that case, we are signing him for his 29-31 year old seasons. Nate Silver did a good analysis way back when on aging middle infielders, finding that second basemen peak at 26-27 and generally maintain most of their value at 28-29. 30 isn't so terrible either, but 31-32 is where you get very risky.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?%20articleid=4464

In that case, we are signing him for his 29-31 year old seasons. Nate Silver did a good analysis way back when on aging middle infielders, finding that second basemen peak at 26-27 and generally maintain most of their value at 28-29. 30 isn't so terrible either, but 31-32 is where you get very risky.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?%20articleid=4464

The O's didn't play service time games with Schoop, they have him for six years, not seven. He's in his age 24 season. Right now he is under team control for his age 25-27 seasons.

A six year extension would make him 30 in the sixth year.

I think keep him through 30 gives the O's a good chance to maximize his value to the team.

The O's didn't play service time games with Schoop, they have him for six years, not seven. He's in his age 24 season. Right now he is under team control for his age 25-27 seasons.

A six year extension would make him 30 in the sixth year.

I think keep him through 30 gives the O's a good chance to maximize his value to the team.

Maybe if you lock up Schoop' date=' you stand a better chance with Machado[/quote']

Schoop already sold a piece of himself and expressed concern that he would have a 30 million dollar + career to a board member.

No. Schoop signed an agreement trading a percentage of his future earnings for an immediate payment.

I forget what the terms were but I for one think he sold himself short.

Our poster spoke with him about it. He felt that he was assured of making something this way. Perhaps it has to do with his un-repaired knee and the effort he has to go to to stay field worthy,

No. Schoop signed an agreement trading a percentage of his future earnings for an immediate payment.

I forget what the terms were but I for one think he sold himself short.

He received $4.9M in exchange for 10% of future earnings. If he earns more than $49M the investors profit.

Archived