Chris Davis

evenparthrough9

Davis put self way before team by sabotaging our off-season with his contract demands. It isn't fair but I do blame him for at least some of our pitching troubles. So to see him performing like this really infuriates me.

Honestly, I'm not confident the O's would've spent that $161 million on anyone else if Davis hadn't re-signed. I think that was a case of Angelos going above and beyond to re-sign one of his personal favorites -- money that he otherwise wouldn't have allocated into the budget.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly, I'm not confident the O's would've spent that $161 million on anyone else if Davis hadn't re-signed. I think that was a case of Angelos going above and beyond to re-sign one of his personal favorites -- money that he otherwise wouldn't have allocated into the budget.

He might have put half of that in.

But he handcuffed the Orioles throughout the off-season. The irony is that he whined about waiting to sign until they Orioles proved that they wanted to win. Remember that statement? The irony is that he himself has hurt their chances of winning.

I think this is likely the case. The owner let his fondness for a player get in the way of good sense. They could and should, of course, have spent all that money on areas of more vital need. But even if they didn't spend all of it, they should have spent at least some of it on pitching. They had Trumbo sitting there ready to play first base for a year while they waited on Mancini/Walker. Chris Davis had a monster first half in 2013 and a monster second half in 2015. For the two years in between All-Star breaks, he was basically what he's been this year. But even if he were having a big year, it was a contract that was bound to be ruinous down the road.

This is why I've stopped worrying about how much the Orioles spend. I used to be a defender of Angelos and the payroll moderation, but if they can spend $161 million on a player in his 30s and block two of the guys they've been most talking up as great prospects, they have the money to spend on whatever they need.

I think this is likely the case. The owner let his fondness for a player get in the way of good sense. They could and should, of course, have spent all that money on areas of more vital need. But even if they didn't spend all of it, they should have spent at least some of it on pitching. They had Trumbo sitting there ready to play first base for a year while they waited on Mancini/Walker. Chris Davis had a monster first half in 2013 and a monster second half in 2015. For the two years in between All-Star breaks, he was basically what he's been this year. But even if he were having a big year, it was a contract that was bound to be ruinous down the road.

This is why I've stopped worrying about how much the Orioles spend. I used to be a defender of Angelos and the payroll moderation, but if they can spend $161 million on a player in his 30s and block two of the guys they've been most talking up as great prospects, they have the money to spend on whatever they need.

Beyond the financial aspect of the situation is the time that Davis robbed from the team. That is why we had to pick Gallardo off the scrap heap. If he had signed sooner and for less we may have had better pitchers. But since he put himself above the team we now have this glaring weakness.

He talked about wanting to see if the team was committed to winning before he signed, but then he himself damaged the chances of winning. I'm convinced that we would been a better, more balanced team if we had just let him walk.

Beyond the financial aspect of the situation is the time that Davis robbed from the team. That is why we had to pick Gallardo off the scrap heap. If he had signed sooner and for less we may have had better pitchers. But since he put himself above the team we now have this glaring weakness.

He talked about wanting to see if the team was committed to winning before he signed, but then he himself damaged the chances of winning. I'm convinced that we would been a better, more balanced team if we had just let him walk.

Better yet, the Orioles should have dealt him (and Chen) at last year's trade deadline. It would have helped put the Orioles in a better position than they are right now.

This is moronic. It's not Davis' fault it's ownerships stupidity.

But he handcuffed the Orioles throughout the off-season. The irony is that he whined about waiting to sign until they Orioles proved that they wanted to win. Remember that statement? The irony is that he himself has hurt their chances of winning.

I disagree that Davis handcuffed the Orioles in the off-season.

The Orioles could have walked away from Davis and allocated those resources elsewhere.

I remember the statement, and I took it as a negotiating tactic. ( One that apparently worked.)

Davis put self way before team by sabotaging our off-season with his contract demands. It isn't fair but I do blame him for at least some of our pitching troubles. So to see him performing like this really infuriates me.

Players in 99% of the time sign for the most money.I do blame Davis for the Arrieta trade.Signing Ubaldo.Gausman not becoming an ace yet.Trading Davies for a mediocre hitter.Also why has Davis not have been able to develop pitching prospects Davis should work on that for the good of the team.Also the Orioles policy of not signing a free agent pitcher for over three or four years.

Players in 99% of the time sign for the most money.I do blame Davis for the Arrieta trade.Signing Ubaldo.Gausman not becoming an ace yet.Trading Davies for a mediocre hitter.Also why has Davis not have been able to develop pitching prospects Davis should work on that for the good of the team.Also the Orioles policy of not signing a free agent pitcher for over three or four years.

I also don't see why he can't come out of the pen when the O's need to get a tough lefty out.

He demonstrated his ability to lay one up the 3rd baseline the other day. he should bat leadoff and bunt every at bat until his average is above .400 or they stop shifting him. "But they're not paying him $161M to bunt!" They're also not paying him to be flailing, rally killing, death spiraling black hole in the middle of the line up either.

Archived