Offense not pitching will doom this team

evenparthrough9

We had Chris Davis, Kim, and Wieters all out of the lineup and playing an away game.

Baseball is such a long season. We will look like the best team in baseball at times, like an average team at times, and one of the worst at times over the course of a season. I never get overly excited when we are on one of our tears and never get overly depressed when we lose a couple of games in a row. Just have to stay the course and let it play out.

That being said, we do need to make a trade and improve our club. Not only does it help us talent wise, but it's a mental confidence booster when seeing our competition improve through trades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They don't put themselves in position to score without the home run. They don't bunt, steal bases, hit behind runners, hit and run, take pitches.... Recipe for disaster

Joey Rickard is the answer to most of that. But he is only one guy.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd call giving more playing time to the corner OF with the .699 OPS and four steals in 84 games more of a recipe for disaster than relying on the guys who hit home runs.

.699 OPS + .301 intangibles

Maybe it's just me, but I'd call giving more playing time to the corner OF with the .699 OPS and four steals in 84 games more of a recipe for disaster than relying on the guys who hit home runs.

Well that quote was not about home runs. Rickard is faster than Jones. He has more steals. He has a higher BA and higher OBP. He has a higher doubles per at bat ratio. And most of all, he leads the team in pitches per at bat. He was listed among the leaders in the league at that. He makes the pitcher throw more pitches. Isn't that the answer to the thread and that post? Just saying...

Well that quote was not about home runs. Rickard is faster than Jones. He has more steals. He has a higher BA and higher OBP. He has a higher doubles per at bat ratio. And most of all, he leads the team in pitches per at bat. He was listed among the leaders in the league at that. He makes the pitcher throw more pitches. Isn't that the answer to the thread and that post? Just saying...

The title was about the offense being the team's Achilles' heel, but then the original post starts talking about one-strategies that generally depress scoring. So I don't know...

I think that pitches per PA are a poor measure of effectiveness. Joey Rickard sees 0.78 more pitches per PA than Adam Jones. Jones has an OPS .050 points higher and a career mark .080 higher. I'll take the better hitter over the one who gets you to the bullpen slightly earlier.

The title was about the offense being the team's Achilles' heel, but then the original post starts talking about one-strategies that generally depress scoring. So I don't know...

I think that pitches per PA are a poor measure of effectiveness. Joey Rickard sees 0.78 more pitches per PA than Adam Jones. Jones has an OPS .050 points higher and a career mark .080 higher. I'll take the better hitter over the one who gets you to the bullpen slightly earlier.

So are you saying Jones should bat leadoff? I just don't believe he is the ideal leadoff hitter.

So are you saying Jones should bat leadoff? I just don't believe he is the ideal leadoff hitter.

I think that batter comfort is much more important than batting order, given that you're just rearranging the same nine guys. The impact of Jones leading off instead of Jones batting 3rd is probably on the order of two or three runs per 162 games.

I think that batter comfort is much more important than batting order, given that you're just rearranging the same nine guys. The impact of Jones leading off instead of Jones batting 3rd is probably on the order of two or three runs per 162 games.

Everyone said we didn't need speed on the bases and other basic baseball tactics when power was getting us 6 or more runs a game. How many other teams leadoff hitter has only one stolen base? I checked team OPS since you mentioned Jones. He is 10th on the team. Call me old fashioned I like to see a leadoff guy that gets on base, is fast, can steal. Hits doubles. And makes the pitcher throw more pitches.

Everyone said we didn't need speed on the bases and other basic baseball tactics when power was getting us 6 or more runs a game. How many other teams leadoff hitter has only one stolen base? I checked team OPS since you mentioned Jones. He is 10th on the team. Call me old fashioned I like to see a leadoff guy that gets on base, is fast, can steal. Hits doubles. And makes the pitcher throw more pitches.

I want a guy with a .440 OBP and a 95% SB rate. But we don't always get what we want.

The most prolific base stealers rarely add more than a handful of runs a season. The reason steals are way down from 30 years ago is similar to sac bunts - the evidence doesn't support their use except in certain limited circumstances.

I want a guy with a .440 OBP and a 95% SB rate. But we don't always get what we want.

The most prolific base stealers rarely add more than a handful of runs a season. The reason steals are way down from 30 years ago is similar to sac bunts - the evidence doesn't support their use except in certain limited circumstances.

Yea but we are dead last in steals by far. And I haven't looked up the stat. But we leave many runners on base including the bases loaded. We need every run. We can't afford to lose games by one run.

Archived