Hate Saying This, But It Is Looking Like The Orioles Could Be The Odd Team Out.

ORIOLE33

No homegrown guys...other than Manny, Schoop, Jones, Davis, Bundy, Britton, Gausman, Givens, or Wieters.

As others have noted, Jones and Davis don't qualify.

And the point still stands that teams like Boston have been far better at developing guys who become contributors. Granted drafting and developing can at times be a crapshoot, but are we really going to attribute guys like Betts, Bradley, Travis Shaw and Xander Bogaerts to simple good fortune?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We're just not hitting. Haven't hit since the AS Break. I think our bats are going to come around, but I'm not sure. If they do, we'll be in it to the end.

I would love to know if we had a more patient approach in Apr., May, June versus July, Aug. It certainly seems like we're being less patient of late.

I loved seeing Davis take 2 walks last night. In about a week, I predict Davis takes off again.

This team is pressing, they all want to perform at a high level and it seems like their solution is to swing until they start hitting again. The closer to the end of the season we get, all the more pressure is going to be put on the batters to perform and score runs.

I think this is all the more reason to go with Kim as an everyday guy until he proves he can't do it and I'd find a way to get Pedro in games vs. lefties even if his splits say otherwise, he was carrying the offense and hasn't gotten much playing time lately.

A couple positives.. Wieters is looking better at the plate of late and Adam continues to look great at lead off. I was impressed with the patience to draw the BB to tie the game.

As others have noted, Jones and Davis don't qualify.

And the point still stands that teams like Boston have been far better at developing guys who become contributors. Granted drafting and developing can at times be a crapshoot, but are we really going to attribute guys like Betts, Bradley, Travis Shaw and Xander Bogaerts to simple good fortune?

Why do they not "qualify"? Who cares where they came from as long as the team can acquire good young players consistently? You are just creating an arbitrary standard to say that the team stinks.

For their Betts, Bradley, Bogaerts, and Shaw, we have Manny, Schoop, Bundy, and Britton. Plus Givens and Gausman. Their group is a little younger but not much. I wouldn't say that Boston has it down to a science and we are hopeless. And that is not counting Jones and Davis. I also would not say that their long term picture is hands down better than ours.

Why do they not "qualify"? Who cares where they came from as long as the team can acquire good young players consistently? You are just creating an arbitrary standard to say that the team stinks.

For their Betts, Bradley, Bogaerts, and Shaw, we have Manny, Schoop, Bundy, and Britton. Plus Givens and Gausman. Their group is a little younger but not much. I wouldn't say that Boston has it down to a science and we are hopeless. And that is not counting Jones and Davis. I also would not say that their long term picture is hands down better than ours.

And you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say the team stinks. I said Boston's better, and I firmly believe the Red Sox are. They're simply a better organization from top to bottom, and it's why they've found far more success than the O's have in the last decade.

The O's have had a great five year run, and put themselves on the cusp more than once. And they aren't a bad team or organization, at all. I'm just saying that it's not just a few bad breaks (or good breaks for other teams) that have done them in. They just haven't quite been good enough, yet.

Simmer down.

And you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say the team stinks. I said Boston's better, and I firmly believe the Red Sox are. They're simply a better organization from top to bottom, and it's why they've found far more success than the O's have in the last decade.

The O's have had a great five year run, and put themselves on the cusp more than once. And they aren't a bad team or organization, at all. I'm just saying that it's not just a few bad breaks (or good breaks for other teams) that have done them in. They just haven't quite been good enough, yet.

Simmer down.

This is what you said earlier:

The Baseball Gods favor those who put themselves in the best position to be favored. The Red Sox are lightyears better at drafting and developing talent than the Orioles, and it's showing. We don't have a Mookie Betts in our system. Or really any of the Sox homegrown guys. We have no equivalent.

A couple positives.. Wieters is looking better at the plate of late and Adam continues to look great at lead off. I was impressed with the patience to draw the BB to tie the game.

Agree that Wiets has looked better at the plate. He has also looked better behind the plate lately. He made two good blocks for Britton in the last Giants game in the 9th.

But, Jones leading off irks me for some reason. He has led off in 69 game & has 21 hits for a .304 avg (17 singles, 1 double & 3 hrs). And four walks for a .362 OBP. He has no stolen bases leading off and has only scored 12 of the O's 34 first-inning runs (which is not particularly impressive for leading-off plate appearances). Kind of a glass half full/glass half empty sort of thing. Maybe the cause is possibly the one's hitting behind him more than Jones' ability to score leading off.

And yes, I think we were all impressed with the fact that Jones actually showed the ability not to go after bad pitches. Something we all wish he would display more often.

(all the Jones stats I gleaned from the GameDay/MLB box scores & plays ... I could be off a hit, or appearance, or two; I double-checked, going back to the first game of the year to last night ... & it's my math .... so even I don't entirely trust it ;) )

Archived