Hate Saying This, But It Is Looking Like The Orioles Could Be The Odd Team Out.

ORIOLE33

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another 7 G winning streak and we are 20 over. Not impossible.

The last 7 game winning streak was back in June. You know, when the offense was elite. Since that 7 game winning streak there has been:

5 game losing streak

6-1 stretch

4 game losing streak

5 game winning streak

5 game losing streak

5-2 stretch

3 game losing streak

3-3 stretch (assuming the O's lose now)

This team is streaky. But they're falling apart due to an offense that still is spinning wheels and a starting rotation that is starting to show cracks again...with a valuable bullpen arm having shoulder issues (O'Day) and their most consistent non-closer in Brach pitching poorly since the ASB.

The last 7 game winning streak was back in June. You know, when the offense was elite. Since that 7 game winning streak there has been:

5 game losing streak

6-1 stretch

4 game losing streak

5 game winning streak

5 game losing streak

5-2 stretch

3 game losing streak

3-3 stretch (assuming the O's lose now)

This team is streaky. But they're falling apart due to an offense that still is spinning wheels and a starting rotation that is starting to show cracks again...with a valuable bullpen arm having shoulder issues (O'Day) and their most consistent non-closer in Brach pitching poorly since the ASB.

And prior to that 7 G W streak we were 4-7 coming off a 5-10 stretch the end off the end of May. I repeat it's not impossible. But you go ahead and wallow in your negativity.

I'm not wallowing in negativity. I'm using numbers and just saying what I see.

The only optimistic thing? We are only a couple games out of first.

But we were in first by about 4 games not too long ago. So we are falling apart and fast.

So says Debbie Downer.

I'm of two minds here. Objectively, a time traveler from March glancing at today's standings would have to be thrilled with the situation. Moreover, this weekend the Orioles play at home against a team on life support while their rivals have tough road series. It is not at all unrealistic to suggest the Orioles could be back in first place by Monday.

But I see where the pessimism is coming from. If you had told me at the All-Star break what the O's starters' ERA would be in the second half I would have assumed the Orioles were steamrolling their way to a division title. Instead they've given us a Freaky Fridayesque switcheroo where we get to experience what it's like to be the Rays, with a decent staff and a pedestrian offense. Manny has even turned himself into Evan Longoria, where he's a really good player but no longer at an MVP level. It's been going on for so long I don't know that we can say for sure they'll turn it around.

So while rationally I have to say the O's are in it, I'm not as excited for the stretch run as I thought I would be. They are just not a very entertaining team at the moment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't think he's being a Debbie downer when he's simply stating facts.

The team is treading water and it seems to be real close to be shark infested water. They really do need to put together a good stretch over these next 40 or so games. Coming back from 7-1 isn't going to happen to often. This team needs to hit and pitch at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Red Sox were 12-14 since the All star break until they went on this 6 game run. Let's not like they have been playing like gangbusters since the break. They lost 4 of 5 right before that as well. This has happened all season and will continue to happen teams go on a run and then fall back then another team goes on a run. This team is streaky so get on a 5 game run or 8 out of 10 and you are back in it. The Red Sox still have pitching issues It also doesn't matter how you get in the playoffs once you get in win that wild card game and everyone is equal.

Someone in the team management needs to take an honest look at the roster

and admit that this team aint going to the playoffs

and please shut down Tillman and Bundy before they sustain injuries that carry into next year

Ubaldo back into the starting rotation. Yeah!

You think the Giants should shut down Bumgarner and Cueto too I assume?

My thoughts on this topic:

1) Boston series just completed, despite being only two games, is the most disappointing series of the year to me so far. Our record at home, the importance of games vs Boston, coming off a great comeback win. Very disappointing.

2) The previous most disappointing series, to me, was the series at Houston. That series set off the first round of declarations of how this team just wasn't a playoff team, etc. The Orioles responded by going 21-11 in their next 32 games. Can we do that now? Or will it turn into August 2016 Minnesota series? I honestly have no idea. And I don't think anybody else does either, despite all the declarations and certainties.

3) We are still in better position than more than 20 other teams in MLLB. We are still better off than where a lot of people picked us to be in the preseason.

4) Teams that aren't hitting well look "lethargic". It looks like they don't care. It's hard to look motivated when you are making lots of outs. This talk about how the team looks tired means zip to me. Yes, they may be tired, most MLB teams are at this time of year. We have had 3 West Coast trips, which is rare for any season. But Bucks teams have generally been able to find that second wind and finish strong. Time will tell if this one does or not. But the posts about how the team "looks" in games where the bats are shut down, I just ignore. Trying harder usually doesn't lead to better hitting. Hitting better leads to better hitting. If we hit better, and we see guys high fiving each other after they score, suddenly they will "look" energized.

5) Boston hadn't been any better than us since the All Star Break, but they were better the past two nights, unfortunately. Houston hasn't been any better than us since the ASB either. This is a pivotal series coming up. 3-1 or better and we are right back on track. 1-3 or worse and it's looking more like August 2016. 2-2 will leage the questions unanswered.

6) A pennant race is supposed to be fun. You cheer the winsand agonize the losses. Its a roller coaster, there are ups and downs. We've been in one all year. How often all year have we been more than 2 or 3 games from first place (above or below)? Hardly at all. Reminds me of 2012 when we were neck and neck with the Yankees for nearly a month, hardly ever more than two games separating the teams. It's not supposed to be easy. The other teams we are fighting are talented too. I think it's funny that there are people who are upset that we havne't "pulled away" and opened up a big lead since the All Star Break. Many of those people are folks that said we weren't as good as our division rivals all along, but now they think we should have pulled away. Yeah, right. Whatever. It's a pennant race, and the roller coaster ride has been a bit more down than up recently, but its far from over. Let's go beat the Astros!

Archived