Trade Sherrill at the deadline?

Sports Guy

Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?  

185 members have voted

1. 1. Should we deal Sherrill by July 31?

• Yes...Take the package because we are better off long term
    • No, wait until the offseason and maybe he will be worth more
    • Don't trade him at all..He is cheap and under cotnrol for years

Let's assume Sherrill is pitching well, has become a hot commodity and we are able to get a very good package in return....No need to know names, just say it is a package that is very fair and one that should help us long term.

Do you trade him?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's assume Sherrill is pitching well, has become a hot commodity and we are able to get a very good package in return....No need to know names, just say it is a package that is very fair and one that should help us long term.

Do you trade him?

I said no because a fair trade isn't what we should be looking for. To move Sherrill we should be blown away. Dominant LHPs like him aren't easy to find. We don't have any LHPs in the system that can replace him right now. So unless somebody offers you an Adam Jones, Colby Rasmus or Jay Bruce for him straight up, I keep him.

I said no because a fair trade isn't what we should be looking for. To move Sherrill we should be blown away. Dominant LHP like him aren't easy to find. We don't have any LHP in the system that can replace him right now. So unless somebody offers you an Adam Jones, Colby Rasmus or Jay Bruce for him straight up, I keep him.

I wouldn't exactly call him dominant. He has been very good, but alot of his saves have been very shaky.

I wouldn't exactly call him dominant. He has been very good, but alot of his saves have been very shaky.

I agree. That's why I said "yes."

Given the number of saves he's racking up, I think we'll get a nice player (or two) for him around the deadline.

If we are able to acquire a high-tier infield prospect for him, you have to make that move.

If he's really performing well, we may be able to get one high-level and one medium-level type prospect for him. We'd have to bite on that. I think that's been the plan for him all along.

If they moved him back to being a setup guy, I think you'd find he'd be dominating again. He's a good closer but he's a dominating setup guy vs. LH hitters.

These are his #'s vs. LH hitters this season:

19 AB .158 AVG .238 OBP .158 SLG .396 OPS

He's flat out dominating LH hitters and his #'s vs. RH hitters are very good as well...

You would have to trade him IMO.

We have too many good arms to worry about losing a closer or even a LH set up man right now.

The bottom line is we have a much larger need elsewhere on the team and Sherrill can fill those needs(at least some of them).

You would have to trade him IMO.

We have too many good arms to worry about losing a closer or even a LH set up man right now.

The bottom line is we have a much larger need elsewhere on the team and Sherrill can fill those needs(at least some of them).

We may have good arms, but not all of them can handle the pressure or have the makeup of a closer or good setup guy. Sherrill stablizes the bullpen and has at least 4 good years left in him let alone the 3 he'll be under team control. We'll need him when we want to compete starting in 2010.

We may have good arms, but not all of them can handle the pressure or have the makeup of a closer or good setup guy.
You have absolutely no idea who can and can not handle the role so to even say this is beyond naive.
Sherrill stablizes the bullpen and has at least 4 good years left in him let alone the 3 he'll be under team control.
He does? Do you have acrystal ball that says he won't get hurt and will always stay effective? Do you know some kind of fountain of reliever youth that he can go to stay good?
We'll need him when we want to compete starting in 2010.
Maybe...But we will need the players he can bring back much moreso than him when 2010 rolls around.

He's a good closer, no doubt. But, a "good closer" is a luxury on a bad, rebuilding team. We have about 3 players who can hit. And, we have about 1 more in the minors who can. This team is only in the early stages of rebuilding, and Sherrill will be a very attractive piece at the deadline. We have Ray coming back to closer, and he can compete with guys like McCrory, Hoey, Liz, and whoever else down the line.

After trading Bradford and Walker, you see what you can get and have to be blown away. I don't see AM dealing him due to his contract situation, though.

I don't see him dealing Sherrill unless he is blown away. And if MacPhail is, well then we deal Sherrill. Trembley is definitely going to have some say in this matter, and I can guarantee he wants Sherrill to stay.

Archived