Will the fans show?

Todd-O

I always thought they should put a few rows up on top of the Warehouse.

Changes will come to Camden Yards.

While the new center field bar proved popular, other clubs have gone bigger. In 2014, the Colorado Rockies opened an $11 million rooftop "party deck" above right field.

"The idea is that younger fans prefer a more social experience," Frenz said. "As technology changes and people change, the way they want to experience venue changes."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-camden-yards-future-20150824-story.html

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Changes will come to Camden Yards.

While the new center field bar proved popular, other clubs have gone bigger. In 2014, the Colorado Rockies opened an $11 million rooftop "party deck" above right field.

"The idea is that younger fans prefer a more social experience," Frenz said. "As technology changes and people change, the way they want to experience venue changes."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-camden-yards-future-20150824-story.html

Meaning they don't want to watch the game. They just want to get drunk. Maybe that is the appeal of football sitting in the parking lot before the game getting drunk. Seems if this is the reason people are going to games than spending any sort of money on players is a waste.

The game/stadium experience is likely to dramatically change in the very near future. In say ten or so years (maybe 15) you are likely to have virtual reality broadcasts. You will basically stand on the field anywhere you want during game play. Maybe those broadcasts are at first only available in the stadium...there would be a club zone somewhere where you are in a recliner wearing the headset and basically in the game. Regardless of details, the fan "experience" is going to rapidly evolve and attendance and the like are likely to really change accordingly. Wild times ahead.

Meaning they don't want to watch the game. They just want to get drunk. Maybe that is the appeal of football sitting in the parking lot before the game getting drunk. Seems if this is the reason people are going to games than spending any sort of money on players is a waste.

This is very much part of football. If every team in the league out and out banned all tailgating, it'd absolutely change who came to the games and when.

And how many O's fans go to Pickles, or other watering holes before, during & after the games? It's basically the same thing. I can get drunk anywhere, if I choose to do it at a ball game it will benefit the players because I'm spending money at the ball park

The entire business case of minor league baseball is to get people to the park to pay $10 for a ticket and $25 for food and $8 for some kind of kids stuff, with a baseball game often happening in the background not that most of the fans would notice. I'd guess 30%? 50%? of fans at a randomly selected MLB game in any city roughly fit that description, too.

This is very much part of football. If every team in the league out and out banned all tailgating, it'd absolutely change who came to the games and when.

Since football mostly happens once a week, on the weekend, you can use it as an excuse to down 6, 8, 12, 36 Coors Lights. Then go into the game and have another 2-3 of the $10 versions of same. I haven't seen that as much at baseball games. But then again I didn't hang out in Section 34 in 1977, either.

If OPACY was built today it would have about 35000 seats. Maybe less. And if demand went to 40k they'd raise prices. For all the reasons you state. There may not be another 50k seater in baseball built in my lifetime.

Remember when the Indians played at Municipal Stadium, which probably seated 80k, and drew 8k a game? You could walk up on a random Wednesday and buy 60,000 tickets for that night's game.

I did that once, wanted leg room.

Adam outlines 6 possible reasons, and yet somehow neglects to mention that the Orioles are playing the second half at 30W-34L clip

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17606075/baltimore-orioles-outfielder-adam-jones-calls-home-attendance-sad

1. Ticket prices being higher, although you can bring in food and beverages.
  2. Marketing and promotions, I'm sure they're not the best.
  3. I don't if know if they've gotten complacent already on us winning.
  4. "It's due to school starting;
  5. weather, which is understandable;
  6. danger, which I don't see

Archived