Would you sign Tillman for 5/$75 mm this offseason?

Frobby

Would you sign Tillman for 5/$75 mm this offseason  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Tillman for 5/$75 mm this offseason

• Yes, I think that is a good deal for the O's
    • No, I think that is too much risk, but I might do a cheaper deal
    • No, I don't want any long term deals with Tillman
    • No, I prefer to wait until mid-2017 or later to decide

This poll is closed to new votes

Even with his injuries, Holland has accumulated 6.5 WAR over the past four seasons. That's about $4 million/WAR so the Rangers still have gotten tremendous value from his contract plus they have him under team control for two more seasons. Imagine how much better this team would be if Chris Tillman was locked up for $9 million next year and $12 million in 2018 with team options for $13 million in 2019 and $14 million in 2020. Everybody on board would be doing cartwheels about what a genius signing it was.

I disagree with "tremendous value." He had a good year in 2013. He missed nearly all of 2014 and 2015. He is having an underwhelming 2016 season. He's been more of a liability than a benefit to the Rangers since the first year of the contract. Holland's contract a a great example of when $/WAR is misleading. The Rangers have paid him $26MM thus far for one good season...three years ago.

The values you provided for a speculative Tillman contract do not match Holland's -- not even close. Not sure why you posted those numbers. Even if your imaginary contract had been conceived by the team or Tillman's agent, I wouldn't "be doing cartwheels" about it. I'm probably not alone in my belief.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No Manny is TOP Priority! If were going to throw $$$ around it better be him or he's going to be in a skanks uni.

I have read this sentiment from several posters in this thread. While I agree that Manny is the top priority, if signing him means we can never sign up another player in the next ten years, then we are in serious trouble. I don't think signing Tillman and Manny are mutually exclusive.

Try 5/65
re Britton @ 4/$40
Can_of_corn: Keep in mind that Chen was a free agent while Tillman still has one year of team control.

Buying out two years of Britton's arb years may provide the leverage to sign him to a solid guaranteed contract. Of course I understand that most on this forum would not be interested in locking up Britton.

[PS: Sorry i can't figure out how to "multi-quote." Never works when I check the box.]

re Britton @ 4/$40

Buying out two years of Britton's arb years may provide the leverage to sign him to a solid guaranteed contract. Of course I understand that most on this forum would not be interested in locking up Britton.

[PS: Sorry i can't figure out how to "multi-quote." Never works when I check the box.]

Left click on which quote you want to open, once they are all checked, then you select reply with quote and all the quotes, should be in the compose window.

Chris Tillman is making $6.225 mm this season, and I figure he'll make about $10 mm next season in arbitration. After that, he's a free agent. I figure he'd be worth $16-20 mm/yr on the free agent market, depending on how his 2017 season goes.

So, would you sign him for 5/$75 mm this offseason? (Poll coming.)

I think it comes down to your philosophy. By fWAR Tillman is a 2 win pitcher, or thereabouts. By rWAR its more like 3.0. So I could justify 3/36 on the low end, and 5/75 on the high end.

If he's looking for $20M a year I'd pass. And he might be. This is a world where Ian Kennedy could be just above replacement level over a four year period and got 5/70.

I think it comes down to your philosophy. By fWAR Tillman is a 2 win pitcher, or thereabouts. By rWAR its more like 3.0. So I could justify 3/36 on the low end, and 5/75 on the high end.

If he's looking for $20M a year I'd pass. And he might be. This is a world where Ian Kennedy could be just above replacement level over a four year period and got 5/70.

Today's fair market value for SP has gone through the roof, and thats not a good thing.

I have read this sentiment from several posters in this thread. While I agree that Manny is the top priority, if signing him means we can never sign up another player in the next ten years, then we are in serious trouble. I don't think signing Tillman and Manny are mutually exclusive.

I don't think signing them both is mutually exclusive either (I no longer accept budget restraints as an excuse), but the sooner they get Manny done, the less it's going to cost them (they should have gotten it done last winter when they could have probably gotten it done with the money they gave Davis). I'm not against signing Tillman to an extension, but I just don't think he's been consistently good enough to merit five years.

I don't think signing them both is mutually exclusive either (I no longer accept budget restraints as an excuse), but the sooner they get Manny done, the less it's going to cost them (they should have gotten it done last winter when they could have probably gotten it done with the money they gave Davis). I'm not against signing Tillman to an extension, but I just don't think he's been consistently good enough to merit five years.

They should have done it when he was rehabbing from his first knee injury.

OK to be more specific I would not throw that kind of $$$ at Tillman till I had Manny extended.

That does not mean I would not support signing other players to other contracts.

OK to be more specific I would not throw that kind of $$$ at Tillman till I had Manny extended.

That does not mean I would not support signing other players to other contracts.

To try to save money for Manny is like saving the bathwater with your fingers. Every day Manny's price goes up. Every day. You either get Manny signed or you don't. But a small market team like Baltimore can't not sign pitchers because Manny is not locked up. That's like the years of "Come out and see Cal Ripken play" And Manny is no Cal Ripken. Might be in twenty years. Not until he plays another 1500 or 2000 games.

To try to save money for Manny is like saving the bathwater with your fingers. Every day Manny's price goes up. Every day. You either get Manny signed or you don't. But a small market team like Baltimore can't not sign pitchers because Manny is not locked up. That's like the years of "Come out and see Cal Ripken play" And Manny is no Cal Ripken. Mike be in twenty years. Not until he plays another 1500 or 2000 games.

I see your point, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Chris Tillman is making $6.225 mm this season, and I figure he'll make about $10 mm next season in arbitration. After that, he's a free agent. I figure he'd be worth $16-20 mm/yr on the free agent market, depending on how his 2017 season goes.

So, would you sign him for 5/$75 mm this offseason? (Poll coming.)

I've been thinking Frobby that I wouldn't wont the O's signing him to 5 years.

Archived