Adam Jones on MLB's lack of Kaepernick protest: 'Baseball is a white man's sport'

SeaBird

More from Andrew McCutchen:

“Of course there weren’t black people,” he said. “That’s not the game of baseball. There aren’t many African-American kids in the game. No different down there in Florida than here. It’s parents and families that can afford it, and we all know the numbers. The kids who can’t afford it? You may have one or two. They might be black or white or Hispanic. Doesn’t matter. And they’re there because they have talent and someone else is taking care of them. There aren’t many people who were in my situation, regardless of color.”

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considerably, you can join the football rec league, and play football, and the only thing, your parents have to provide, is the cup.

So why do travel football organizations pay for all the pads, helmets and travel, while the travel baseball organizations don't? Almost seams backwards since travel baseball is taking place in the affluent suburbs and travel football is taking place in the poor cities.

Exactly. The only reason the number used to be so much higher is because basketball and football were still developing in popularity in the 60's and 70's and back in the first half of the century those sports didn't really exist on the professional level.

Any African-American growing up post-1980 is going to be much more likely to play those sports, not to mention pick-up baseball is dead (in both urban and suburban communities).

I've replaced broken windows in my life. And not because of vandalism. They don't do that anymore.

So why do travel football organizations pay for all the pads, helmets and travel, while the travel baseball organizations don't? Almost seams backwards since travel baseball is taking play in the affluent suburbs and travel football is taking place in the poor cities.

There is not travel football. Footbal is a scholastic sport. The football is all organized. It pays for all the other sports at the higher levels. Not tournaments and showcases. Which are required to even get a look in baseball. But not to worry. With what we know now, Football won't exist in civilized nations past the half century mark.

So why do travel football organizations pay for all the pads, helmets and travel, while the travel baseball organizations don't? Almost seams backwards since travel baseball is taking place in the affluent suburbs and travel football is taking place in the poor cities.

The Pads, helmets and other equipment are used, by different players each year.

Baseball for some reason, the players have to have their own batting helmets, etc.

There is not travel football. Footbal is a scholastic sport. The football is all organized. It pays for all the other sports at the higher levels. Not tournaments and showcases. Which are required to even get a look in baseball. But not to worry. With what we know now, Football won't exist in civilized nations past the half century mark.

You are underestimating the popularity of football. I have seen many others make this same argument, but football is as popular as ever and isn't going anywhere do to the amount of money involved.

There will always be athletes willing to put their health at risk to make millions.

You all do realize that not all black people are poor, right?

I do. I think they were talking about players having an economic escape of poverty with athletics. Like in basketball and football. Where size and speed are much more important than a developed skill.

You are underestimating the popularity of football. I have seen many others make this same argument, but football is as popular as ever and isn't going anywhere do to the amount of money involved.

There will always be athletes willing to put their health at risk to make millions.

I won't be around to collect on my bet. But you'll remember that I told you. Has nothing to do with money. It took a while to stamp out big tobacco as well.

I never played organized football, and neither did my kids...is football equipment really that much cheaper than baseball equipment?

Not so much equipment, but all I need is a ball and a lot and hands and I can play some simulacrum of football on my own. Baseball requires specific equipment, and large spaces. As it was also said earlyier, colleges don't give free rides for baseball anymore. Colleges don't recruit in city baseball programs, and the type of transformational money is just not in baseball.

Archived