What Boston has that we dont...

Natty

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is not giving Boston enough credit for drafting/signing and developing guys like Betts, Bogaerts, Bradley Jr. and Benintendi

Boston also used is draft/sign/develop guys to trade for Pomeranz, Kimbrel and others.

Boston still has quality prospects like Devers.

In another thread, some poster questioned - what are you going to do with the draft picks and quality prospects that DD has punted since getting here .... and now you know. When I post that DD has burned the farm to the ground, it means we lack quality prospects to perform better and/or cheaper than their major league counterpart on our team or to use in trade. And what happened this trade deadline is only going to continue this offseason and next year. We have fewer top 100 prospects than virtually every organization in baseball.

Folks post on here in the past that DD has been able to obtain more in cash than the perceived value of the pick when we give it up to give away Matusz or Webb. Well, that just leaves our owner with cash or our GM to make his budget, but it leaves gaping holes in our farm system. Gaping.

The money excuse is getting real old, real quick.

Per Sportrac, the O's have a $155m payroll. Yes, some of that is deferred. But that's not chump change.

Put Price on the Orioles and Gallardo on Boston and what is the impact?

As smart as Boston has been they haven't exactly been developing a bunch of pitchers.

Put Price on the Orioles and Gallardo on Boston and what is the impact?

As smart as Boston has been they haven't exactly been developing a bunch of pitchers.

Price and Porcello are making $50 million this year, between them. The Red Sox are not in first place without those two players, period.

So I get that Boston has been developing a good young core for the past several years. But at the moment our team had to settle for Jimenez and Gallardo, Boston could go out and get two top FA pitchers at full market value.

Impossible to overestimate the value of a true ace, IMO. We haven't had one since Mussina. I don't think those two things are coincidences.

Boston's just using the old Yankees playbook. Develop a nice young core of position players, and buy a front-line rotation. It's a nice strategy. We cannot afford it, apparently.

The Orioles went for a high slugging no pitching team. That's exactly what they got, not much balance. Just wait til Davis is a little older and Manny and Jones are gone. It's gonna get ugly. Enjoy a contender while its here.

Good plan. Certainly a better plan than complaining every hour on the hour about what could happen a couple of years down the road.

Price and Porcello are making $50 million this year, between them. The Red Sox are not in first place without those two players, period.

So I get that Boston has been developing a good young core for the past several years. But at the moment our team had to settle for Jimenez and Gallardo, Boston could go out and get two top FA pitchers at full market value.

Impossible to overestimate the value of a true ace, IMO. We haven't had one since Mussina. I don't think those two things are coincidences.

Boston's just using the old Yankees playbook. Develop a nice young core of position players, and buy a front-line rotation. It's a nice strategy. We cannot afford it, apparently.

I remember when our owner took control of the Orioles and said...He would do what it takes to bring the team to the top. One thing it takes money. But I guess he wants to be buried with his. We are 4th in our division at payroll.

It's not chump change, but its last in our division, Right?

About even with the Blue Jays and far more than the Rays. I can't understand people complaining about a team based in Baltimore having the number 12 payroll in the sport. If anything, that's more than should be expected.

Archived