What Boston has that we dont...

Natty

Davis is an awful baseball hitter. I don't care what WAR states he has always been bad. I really hate watching him bat.

Davis gets paid to hit HR's and play a decent 1B. He will strike out 200+ times. He is what he is. I don't really care about his WAR or whatever...

If he ends this season with 40+ HR's and 100+ RBI's, IMO he earned his salary for the year. Lets remember he's only making what $17MM a year (not counting deferred money)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This actually bugs me even more than their payroll, as they continually out draft, out develop and produce better players than the Orioles do. Really irritates the crap out of me and DD doesn't help matters by trading our limited young talent away for essentially nada either!

Since DD got here in 2012 the Red Sox have only drafted one player who is helping the current team (Andrew Benintendi) and he was picked with the 7th overall pick. They got Bradley JR and Betts in 2011 draft but they had 4 first round picks 3 of which have combined for .8 WAR.

Davis gets paid to hit HR's and play a decent 1B. He will strike out 200+ times. He is what he is. I don't really care about his WAR or whatever...

If he ends this season with 40+ HR's and 100+ RBI's, IMO he earned his salary for the year. Lets remember he's only making what $17MM a year (not counting deferred money)

I disagree. I don't think he earns his salary at all. He is a .220 hitter who only puts the ball in play half the time. I can't stand watching him bat. I don

t think he is as beneficial to the team winning as you think. I doubt we would have done much differently with him off the team.

I would say major difference between us and the Red Sox is batting average: .251 vs .287.

Also BB 436 vs 521

Strikeouts 1101 vs 1243

We have selfish hitters. They are only trying to hit home runs. Not trying to win ball games. This is Buck's fault he should start sitting guys like Trumbo, Davis and Schoop. When they strike out all the time or pull a ground ball instead of trying to score runs and get on base.

At some point someone has to take the blame. We already fired Crowley. Coolbaugh was a Buck hire. Fowler would have helped big time. But we also keep having this myth on here that if we just have a vet guy or two get on base that the rest of the team will come around. It's just not true. I don't see anyone following Kim's example.

At some point someone has to take the blame. We already fired Crowley. Coolbaugh was a Buck hire. Fowler would have helped big time. But we also keep having this myth on here that if we just have a vet guy or two get on base that the rest of the team will come around. It's just not true. I don't see anyone following Kim's example.

Kim is making what 3 million a year? Davis is making 23 million a year? Who would you follow?

2016 MLB payrolls per Sportrac (AL East Edition):

1. Yankees - $225m

2. Red Sox - $215m

3. Blue Jays - $159m

4. Orioles - $157m

5. Rays - $70m (lowest in MLB)

If we're going to quibble over the $2m difference between the Jays and Orioles, why bother?

Yes, we've known that the Yankees and Red Sox spend far more. And right now David Price ($30m, 17-8) and Rick Porcello ($20m, 21-4) are huge reasons for their success. And that's $50m.

But let's not forget that the O's are paying Gallardo, Ubaldo and Miley $30m+ next year. And if you prorate Miley's salary this year, probably something like $25-$26m this year. And they've been complete and utter disasters (aside from Ubaldo his last 5-6 starts). While cutting Gonzo (better than all 3), trading Miranda (better than all 3), trading Davies (better than all 3)...we're talking about terrible talent evaluation, folks.

Put quite simply: it was a management failure to say in the offseason that starting pitching is going to be the focus and then wait until the last possible minute to sign an injured starter than nobody wanted and failed his physical. And then start the season w/ Wright in your rotation all the while cutting Gonzo and not having any depth.

This team has ZERO impact depth in the minors as a starter. Absolutely zero.

2016 MLB payrolls per Sportrac (AL East Edition):

1. Yankees - $225m

2. Red Sox - $215m

3. Blue Jays - $159m

4. Orioles - $157m

5. Rays - $70m (lowest in MLB)

If we're going to quibble over the $2m difference between the Jays and Orioles, why bother?

Yes, we've known that the Yankees and Red Sox spend far more. And right now David Price ($30m, 17-8) and Rick Porcello ($20m, 21-4) are huge reasons for their success. And that's $50m.

But let's not forget that the O's are paying Gallardo, Ubaldo and Miley $30m+ next year. And if you prorate Miley's salary this year, probably something like $25-$26m this year. And they've been complete and utter disasters (aside from Ubaldo his last 5-6 starts). While cutting Gonzo (better than all 3), trading Miranda (better than all 3), trading Davies (better than all 3)...we're talking about terrible talent evaluation, folks.

Put quite simply: it was a management failure to say in the offseason that starting pitching is going to be the focus and then wait until the last possible minute to sign an injured starter than nobody wanted and failed his physical. And then start the season w/ Wright in your rotation all the while cutting Gonzo and not having any depth.

This team has ZERO impact depth in the minors as a starter. Absolutely zero.

My argument is that ownership isn't allowing DD to go after even the $80-100M arms. DD is signing the Ubaldo's and Gallardo's of the world because that is all he can do. That money wasted on those arms is never going to be spent on one big arm.

My argument is that ownership isn't allowing DD to go after even the $80-100M arms. DD is signing the Ubaldo's and Gallardo's of the world because that is all he can do. That money wasted on those arms is never going to be spent on one big arm.

This is a good argument, one that I agree with. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the current, fashionable narrative which casts Dan Duquette and Dan Duquette alone as the author of all the Orioles' troubles. I guess I should say presumed troubles, since the WC is still very much in play.

This is a good argument, one that I agree with. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the current, fashionable narrative which casts Dan Duquette and Dan Duquette alone as the author of all the Orioles' troubles. I guess I should say presumed troubles, since the WC is still very much in play.

I don't think it is an excuse to make bad decisions but that money isn't going to be spent internationally or for a number 1 starter. If just isn't going to happen.

That is why I still say Chen and Miguel are DD's best moves by a mile. Helped our rotation out and hardly cost a penny.

Wasting money is one thing but talent evaluation has been a killer internally, banking on Wright and Wilson to be competent MLB starters. Who takes credit for that?

I think they thought they were better than Miguel at this point.

I don't think when they signed Gallardo they thought he was a top notch starter I think they though middle of the rotation arm that helps a contending team reach the playoffs.

Mistakes have been made, no question.

I disagree. I don't think he earns his salary at all. He is a .220 hitter who only puts the ball in play half the time. I can't stand watching him bat. I don

t think he is as beneficial to the team winning as you think. I doubt we would have done much differently with him off the team.

Well he if bothers you that much then don't watch him. I do wish Angelos hadn't resigned him though.

Archived