Chris Davis' Defense

Frobby

Last night we saw the best and worst of Chris Davis on defense. In the 4th inning, with the bases loaded and one out, he speared a very tough hop on a ground ball in the hole, made a great throw to 2B, and the O's turned a 3-6-1 double play on what easily could have been a 2-run single or a run-scoring force play. But then in the 6th inning, he made the errant throw to Brach that resulted in 2 runs scoring rather than making the third out of the inning.

The defensive numbers for Davis seem all over the lot. His 4.8 UZR/150 is 4th best in MLB, 3rd in the AL. He has made 26 out of zone plays, 3rd in MLB and 1st in the AL. His RZR is 2nd in MLB, 1st in the AL. His 36 scoop plays lead the majors. But, his 8 errors are tied for 3rd most in MLB, and Rtot has him at -3, slightly below average.

So, is Chris Davis "gold glove caliber" or not? It is probably a bad day to ask that question, with such a huge error fresh in our minds. But honestly, I do believe his body of work over 152 games has been excellent. I would be disappointed if he were not at least one of the three AL nominees.

Last night we saw the best and worst of Chris Davis on defense. In the 4th inning, with the bases loaded and one out, he speared a very tough hop on a ground ball in the hole, made a great throw to 2B, and the O's turned a 3-6-1 double play on what easily could have been a 2-run single or a run-scoring force play. But then in the 6th inning, he made the errant throw to Brach that resulted in 2 runs scoring rather than making the third out of the inning.

The defensive numbers for Davis seem all over the lot. His 4.8 UZR/150 is 4th best in MLB, 3rd in the AL. He has made 26 out of zone plays, 3rd in MLB and 1st in the AL. His RZR is 2nd in MLB, 1st in the AL. His 36 scoop plays lead the majors. But, his 8 errors are tied for 3rd most in MLB, and Rtot has him at -3, slightly below average.

So, is Chris Davis "gold glove caliber" or not? It is probably a bad day to ask that question, with such a huge error fresh in our minds. But honestly, I do believe his body of work over 152 games has been excellent. I would be disappointed if he were not at least one of the three AL nominees.

Buck says he's Gold Glove in all honesty that's good enough for me, and your right it's most likely a bad day to ask that question. ;)

I thought that was a great behind the back tag on Bogaerts last night on the Wieters pick off throw.

I think his overall body of work has been more than above average. His ability to go long distance to get pop ups is above average, and he feet work and glove work is also above average for a 1st.

Not to mention his ability to stretch out and get low throws, and turn those into outs.

Like Frobby mentioned, that DP was a great play, deep in the hole and bang bang, that DP was just want they needed to end the threat.

Archived