Nine Regular Season Games Left

Bahama O's Fan

Obviously aside from a slew of wins, I'll put in a plug that I'd love to see better, more patient plate appearances. That would help us win some games. Obviously, patience is not quite in our DNA as a team, but I feel like early in the season we were generally exhibiting much more patience, drawing a few more walks, and in general being more successful on offense. I feel like, more recently, we have been hacking a lot more and getting ourselves out. I felt this way before the Boston series started, and obviously we were horrific in that regard against Boston, but I think it has really sapped some of our offensive effectiveness in the latter portion of the season.

All that said, I wasn't able to find monthly, by team data to indicate whether or not this was perception or reality - anyone able to dig that up (I gave some half-hearted effort this morning, but gave up)? I would think that average pitches per plate appearance for the team, and walks earned, by month, would be able to lend some insight.

Obviously aside from a slew of wins, I'll put in a plug that I'd love to see better, more patient plate appearances. That would help us win some games. Obviously, patience is not quite in our DNA as a team, but I feel like early in the season we were generally exhibiting much more patience, drawing a few more walks, and in general being more successful on offense. I feel like, more recently, we have been hacking a lot more and getting ourselves out. I felt this way before the Boston series started, and obviously we were horrific in that regard against Boston, but I think it has really sapped some of our offensive effectiveness in the latter portion of the season.

All that said, I wasn't able to find monthly, by team data to indicate whether or not this was perception or reality - anyone able to dig that up (I gave some half-hearted effort this morning, but gave up)? I would think that average pitches per plate appearance for the team, and walks earned, by month, would be able to lend some insight.

With a little time this afternoon, answered my own question. The below is pitches per plate appearance by month for the O's:

April - 3.93

May - 3.99

June - 3.76

July - 3.84

August - 3.79

September - 3.90

Overall we're middle of the pack at 3.86.

For walk rate, see below:

April - 8%

May - 8.5%

June - 7.6%

July - 7%

August - 6.6% (tied for last)

September - 8.1%

Overall we're 20th, with 7.6%.

So not really sure what that tells us, though it does show that we took more pitches and earned more walks earlier in the season. I was surprised to see our "patience" numbers, if you will, have actually picked up in September, though I'd be curious to see the break out of the last eight games on the homestand (couldn't figure out how to do that). Though we were not really patient during our torrid June (who could be?!?) - we had a .344 BABIP, too, so that helped the cause.

Again, not sure this tell us much, but figured since I had a few minutes and was able to dig up the stats, I'd post.

For any wondering, Fox Sports actually has a pretty good sortable team stats tool. http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/team-stats?season=2016&category=BATTING+RATIOS&group=1&sort=11&time=0&pos=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&splitType=45&statID=0

Archived