Please resign Britton

brianod

Which is also my preference. I don't mind the strikeouts, I'd much rather have more strikeouts than walks.

I'd like to see a few years of 1908 baseball, with 11 homers to lead the league, three K/9, big, fat 47-oz bats, lopsided spitballs, AA quality play, flannel all summer, 500' signs in center... but your way might be easier to implement.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Britton, one of my favorite Orioles and at closer perhaps a generational talent at closer. That said, the Davis contract imperiled the ability to keep Manny and all but wrote off the ability to keep Britton after the season he is having. Combine the trades that you saw this year for closers with the teams that will need them and you could restock a lot of players by trading him.

The Cubs if Chapman goes back to the Yankees. Javier Baez anyone?

The Dodgers who tried to upgrade last off season. Grant Holmes+

The Mariners.

The Rangers. Joey Gallo?

The Nationals.

There is a lot to gain by trading Britton.

Need to get out of the Davis contract. I think we can find someone who would put 60-70 million to the remaining 140 million.

The Yankees would love him for maybe even 100 million

It would make many other things (Britton & Manny extensions) much more possible

That said, the Davis contract imperiled the ability to keep Manny and all but wrote off the ability to keep Britton after the season he is having.

I'm curious about this. The way Davis' contract is structured with deferred money he's never making more than about $17M a year. If you got out from under 2/3rds of that you wouldn't have enough left over to sign Britton, much less Manny. Britton might get $15M/year by himself. If $17M/yr is crippling a team with a $140M payroll that will at least go up because of inflation, I'm missing something here.

I'm curious about this. The way Davis' contract is structured with deferred money he's never making more than about $17M a year. If you got out from under 2/3rds of that you wouldn't have enough left over to sign Britton, much less Manny. Britton might get $15M/year by himself. If $17M/yr is crippling a team with a $140M payroll that will at least go up because of inflation, I'm missing something here.

No, I dont think you are.

Need to get out of the Davis contract. I think we can find someone who would put 60-70 million to the remaining 140 million.

The Yankees would love him for maybe even 100 million

It would make many other things (Britton & Manny extensions) much more possible

The O's made their bed now they gotta lie in it. There was not even competition in FA for Davis' services and yet we paid him top dollar. There are no trade partners.

You make some great points. I guess I was assuming CD was $21 a year. I still think keeping a $15 is a bit pricy for this team given other needs. That money should probably be allocated elsewhere. I also wouldn't be surprised if $140 million was the highest you see the Orioles salary in the next 5 years, especially given attendance this year.I would also assume some extension of Tillman at some point. The good news is given the Orioles lack of development, outside Manny there are very few players who need to get paid in the next 3 years.

You make some great points. I guess I was assuming CD was $21 a year. I still think keeping a $15 is a bit pricy for this team given other needs. That money should probably be allocated elsewhere. I also wouldn't be surprised if $140 million was the highest you see the Orioles salary in the next 5 years, especially given attendance this year.I would also assume some extension of Tillman at some point. The good news is given the Orioles lack of development, outside Manny there are very few players who need to get paid in the next 3 years.

Attendance is not the driving force for the payroll, TV money is, these days.

I think assuming the payroll is going to stay at 140 for 5 years, is too out there for me. IMO I think we will see it continue to climb. I am not looking to see big jumps.

Attendance is not the driving force for the payroll, TV money is, these days.

I think assuming the payroll is going to stay at 140 for 5 years, is too out there for me. IMO I think we will see it continue to climb. I am not looking to see big jumps.

I think it will rise as well, and TV is driving it. The people in the marketing department are morons with the whole ticket prices fiasco and how weird that is, and a few other things that my father and I have spent many a night debating. TV revenue is up because MASN is broadcasting 2 good teams, plus college football now (wish they would broadcast UM games). TV revenues will expand, but I think the O's will keep the budget in the same ballpark.

For the moment it seems MLB is content with tightening the ball-winding machine a couple notches and just rolling with a K an inning and the current zone.

Yep. The ball is flying this year. Not only is frequency up, but it seems to me that home runs are traveling farther on average, by a good bit. Have seen some of the biggest bombs I can remember this year.

If we don't resign Trumbo, Weiters, and Alvarez, I think we have the money for Manny, Zach and Tillman. Whether we have enough left, even with an increased payroll, to sign improvements in the outfield and starters I don't know.

Manny? You think that Trumbo Wieters and Alvarez pay for Manny?

Archived