I looked, and then I cringed.

mdbdotcom

I haven't seen Nick play much in the last two years, but the version I saw from 2006-14 was miles better than Trumbo as a defender, and I suspect that is still the case. I know there was a lot of debate about Nick's defense while he was here, but anyone with a pair of eyes could see that Nick was much better.

I think Nick got a lot of heat, when he was trying to come back from injuries and not 100% and the OH can be a fickle bunch.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His fWAR is 1.1, because he has a UZR/150 of 0 and a positional adjustment of -7. His DRS not only is very different than his UZR, it's also his best mark since he was in his early 20s.

He is probably better than Trumbo with the glove.

Wouldn't you attribute that to being able to play deeper at Turner? He can get to more balls on the fringe, which DRS loves. I would hazard to guess that if we had access to Statcast data we would see the same Markakis only two years older.

Wouldn't you attribute that to being able to play deeper at Turner? He can get to more balls on the fringe, which DRS loves. I would hazard to guess that if we had access to Statcast data we would see the same Markakis only two years older.

If that's the case then why was he a -6 by the same measure last year? He's had a 16 run swing this year.

Because defensive statistics are still a fledgling enterprise?

We know that Nick can track a fly ball better than Trumbo. We know he probably still has a better arm, though it's not what it used to be. We know Nick's range (based on speed) is average or worse, but if he gets there, he'll probably catch the ball.

We know Trumbo is a bad fielder, Nick gets on base more and Trumbo gets people off base more (Trumbo Jumbo baby). The thing I always loved about Nick is his plate approach. That plays.

There's a lot of ways to build a baseball team, but an outfield of Kim, Jones and Nick next year could be worse if you accept that our outfield defense would be below average.

If that's the case then why was he a -6 by the same measure last year? He's had a 16 run swing this year.

While I do not fully trust any of the defensive metrics, it's important to remember that Nick had neck surgery in the 2014-15 offseason and was unable to do any kind of offseason workouts other than basic rehab. That had a big impact on his power (3 HR) and his defense. For example, his hold rate in RF was 10% lower than this year. This winter, he was able to do full workouts and came into camp in very good shape, and his power and defense have rebounded.

As an aside, Nick played in his 155th game last night, the 9th time in 11 years that he has played at least that many games. The only years he didn't were his rookie season when Perlozzo eased him into an everyday role in the first few months, and 2012 when he broke bones twice. Two of those 155 game seasons followed offseason surgery that prevented him from working out in the winter, and two of them he was playing with the injuries that led him to have the surgeries. He is a very tough cookie.

Might even be able to get a QO pick out of him.

Kakes' defensive scores are way up this year and I find it suspicious.

Defensive WAR for outfielders varies so much from year to year for player I don't buy it being accurate at all. Anyway Marakakis is definitely better than Trumbo at defense. He also works the count better and has a much higher OBP. I was sad to Markakis go. Wish we could have picked him up instead of Pearce.

I am sure this is the case. I like Nick. He is a better defender than Trumbo. Trumbo has the better arm these days.

Take away all the big homers Trumbo hit and replace them with doubles. How would that affect the O's record this year?

The Braves traded for Kemp - a player flawed in ways that Trumbo is - he's even worse defensively than Trumbo is - how did that affect Atlanta's record, and how did it affect the player hitting in front of him - Freddie Freeman?

Without Trumbo we arent going to the post season. Pretty simple.
Exactly. I don't think the stat tells us the story in this case.
Stats that say otherwise aside, swap Nick for Mark and we aren't going to the playoffs.
Defensive WAR for outfielders varies so much from year to year for player I don't buy it being accurate at all.

I think I'm getting a better appreciation for the 1996 MVP voting today.

I miss Nick because he was always healthy and consistent. Since he's left Duquette hasn't been able to replace him. We've been putting DHs out there.

Nick's oWAR is .6, Trumbo oWAR is 2.5

Nick's dWAR is .3, Trumbo dWAR is -2.0

Do the match, and Trumo is .2 better than Nick. LOL

Of course, I know he isn't but, what the heck.

I think some of us fans while still loving Nick, was concerned about a 4 year deal.

Nick's oWAR is .6, Trumbo oWAR is 2.5

Nick's dWAR is .3, Trumbo dWAR is -2.0

Do the match, and Trumo is .2 better than Nick. LOL

Of course, I know he isn't but, what the heck.

I think some of us fans while still loving Nick, was concerned about a 4 year deal.

I wasn't really. I thought he should have had it with us, and it showed last year when we didn't have him.

Defensive WAR for outfielders varies so much from year to year for player I don't buy it being accurate at all.

Why would you assume that defensive performances would be very consistent year-to-year? Pretty much nothing else in baseball is. I assume that if George Brett can hit .390 one year and .314 the next, it's not remarkable that he could be a +9 and -1 fielder those same years. Or if you prefer and outfielder, one year Nate McLouth hit .190, another he hit .276. One year he was a +0 fielder, another a -23.

Archived