25 man roster ?

bpilktree

I don't like your list. Why in God's name would we need Janish and Flaherty?

I want an extra guy who can go length. The game is much more likely to get 15 innings where we need more innings than it is for us to need both Janish and Flaherty.

I mean Alvarez can play IF. Hell if it came to it, Givens could play 2b is there was a collision that took out Hardy and Schoop.

No need for both Janish and Flaherty. It's a disgrace that you don't have Worley on there. He has a low 3 ERA and has earned a spot.

Guess how many pitchers the Mets used last year in a do-or-die game in the World Series last year that ended up going 12 innings? Six. Or what about the number of pitchers used by the Mets and Royals in Game 1 of the World Series that went 14 innings? The Royals and Mets used six and seven pitchers respectively. Or let me give you a third example. The A's and Royals played a 12-inning game in the WC game two years ago. Do you know how many pitchers they used? The A's used six pitchers and the Royals used seven pitchers in that game. It's unheard of for a team to need 10+ pitchers for a single game. The Orioles have Bundy. He could provide length out of the pen if the starter gets knocked out early. If it goes to extra innings, the Orioles could pitch Tommy Hunter three innings if they need him to.

Meanwhile, the Orioles could easily end up needing both Flaherty and Janish in the WC game. Let's say J.J. Hardy leads off the top of the 8th with a double in a one-run game. You would want a guy to come in to pinch-run for him since Hardy's one of the slowest runners on this team. The Orioles pinch-run Stubbs for Hardy and tie the game in the top of the 8th. You would want a strong defender out there in the late innings so you put Janish in the game at SS. The game remained tied after the 9th inning. In the 10th inning, Janish's spot in the lineup comes up with men on first and second and two outs. You would want somebody to pinch-hit for him. The Orioles sub him for a pinch-hitter. Then they could insert Flaherty in the game as a sub for Janish. If the Orioles don't have both Flaherty and Janish on the roster, they won't be able to pinch-run for Hardy in a close game and they certainly won't be able to pinch-hit for Janish/Flaherty if they remove Hardy from the game for a pinch-runner and his spot in the lineup comes up again.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I had Ubaldo on mine. I think I had him instead of Hunter.

Assuming Tillman is starting, you need Ubaldo on the roster for none other than something freak happening, like Tillman falling down the dugout steps right before the game starts. Stranger things have happened...

I don't think Hart is a lock for the WC since Toronto is so right handed heavy. No way Duensing.

Wieters

Joseph

Davis

Mancini

Schoop

Hardy

Manny

Kim

Bourn

Jones

Trumbo

Reimold

Alvarez

Flaherty

Stubbs

Ubaldo

Tillman

Bundy

Worley

O'Day

Britton

Brach

Givens

Hunter

Hart

No Gausman, Miley, Gallardo.

I don't like your list. Why in God's name would we need Janish and Flaherty?

I want an extra guy who can go length. The game is much more likely to get 15 innings where we need more innings than it is for us to need both Janish and Flaherty.

I mean Alvarez can play IF. Hell if it came to it, Givens could play 2b is there was a collision that took out Hardy and Schoop.

No need for both Janish and Flaherty. It's a disgrace that you don't have Worley on there. He has a low 3 ERA and has earned a spot.

I think Worley will probably make it, but I wouldn't call it a disgrace to leave him off. Buck really seemed to shy away from using him in September. He only made 5 appearances, throwing 9.2 innings. A lot of that was because the O's had an expanded bullpen and thus less need for a long reliever, but also Worley didn't pitch that well in the second half (4.14 ERA, 20 BB/22 K).

I don't think Hart is a lock for the WC since Toronto is so right handed heavy. No way Duensing.

Wieters

Joseph

Davis

Mancini

Schoop

Hardy

Manny

Kim

Bourn

Jones

Trumbo

Reimold

Alvarez

Flaherty

Stubbs

Ubaldo

Tillman

Bundy

Worley

O'Day

Britton

Brach

Givens

Hunter

Hart

I also see that the Michael Saunders actually has very good numbers against lefties this year (.275/.358/.569). Yeah, it probably doesn't make much sense to have Duensing on the roster against Toronto. I would probably have Worley on the roster instead of Duensing. But it doesn't make much sense to have Tillman AND Jimenez both on the postseason roster. Tillman has NEVER pitched out of the bullpen in his career. Not once. And Ubaldo's numbers out of the bullpen have been horrendous albeit on a limited sample size. You have no idea how either of those guys will pitch coming out of the bullpen. Remember when the Royals brought in Yordano Ventura out of the bullpen for the first time in his career against the Oakland A's in the 2014 WC game. That was a disaster. Both of those guys don't need to be on the roster

Wieters

Joseph

Davis

Mancini

Schoop

Hardy

Manny

Kim

Bourn

Jones

Trumbo

Reimold

Alvarez

Flaherty

Stubbs

Ubaldo

Tillman

Bundy

Worley

O'Day

Britton

Brach

Givens

Hunter

Hart

You have to bring Hart or Duensing, just to give you flexibility. Toronto is righty heavy, yes, but they do have lefties. Since you're only keeping a guy for a game, no reason NOT to have a southpaw ready for such a scenario.

From Roch:

With Ubaldo Jimenez and Dylan Bundy in the bullpen, the Orioles can exclude Yovani Gallardo and Wade Miley from the wild card roster. They also will omit Kevin Gausman, who pitched yesterday.

The Orioles carried 11 pitchers in the 2012 wild card game, which isn’t to suggest that Showalter is a prisoner to the past.

We know that Bundy, Jimenez, Zach Britton, Darren O’Day, Brad Brach, Mychal Givens, Donnie Hart, Vance Worley and Tommy Hunter will be in the bullpen. Brian Duensing could be a third left-hander, and don’t forget about Oliver Drake.

Nolan Reimold will be on the roster, but Drew Stubbs also could make it. The final spot seems to come down to Stubbs or Trey Mancini if the Orioles go with 14 position players, and the former probably makes more sense as a defensive replacement and pinch-runner.

We’ll find out Tuesday and continue to debate it.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/10/machado-weve-got-27-outs-to-do-business.html

From Roch:

With Ubaldo Jimenez and Dylan Bundy in the bullpen, the Orioles can exclude Yovani Gallardo and Wade Miley from the wild card roster. They also will omit Kevin Gausman, who pitched yesterday.

The Orioles carried 11 pitchers in the 2012 wild card game, which isn’t to suggest that Showalter is a prisoner to the past.

We know that Bundy, Jimenez, Zach Britton, Darren O’Day, Brad Brach, Mychal Givens, Donnie Hart, Vance Worley and Tommy Hunter will be in the bullpen. Brian Duensing could be a third left-hander, and don’t forget about Oliver Drake.

Nolan Reimold will be on the roster, but Drew Stubbs also could make it. The final spot seems to come down to Stubbs or Trey Mancini if the Orioles go with 14 position players, and the former probably makes more sense as a defensive replacement and pinch-runner.

We’ll find out Tuesday and continue to debate it.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/10/machado-weve-got-27-outs-to-do-business.html

While he does have more RBIs as an Oriole than Caleb can we please not have Stubbs on the playoff roster? He's your classic zero tool player at this point.

C Wieters

1B Davis

2B Schoop

3B Machado

SS Hardy

LF Kim

CF Jones

RF Bourn

DH Trumbo

SP Tillman

Bench: Joseph, Flaherty, Alvarez, Mancini, Stubbs

Bullpen: Jimenez, Bundy, Worley, Duensing, Hunter, Hart, Givens, O'Day, Brach, Britton

That's what I'd go with. Alvarez and Mancini for thunder off the bench, Stubbs as a defensive replacement. 10 relievers. Bundy or Worley if you need to go to the pen early, Jimenez if it goes extra innings.

C Wieters

1B Davis

2B Schoop

3B Machado

SS Hardy

LF Kim

CF Jones

RF Bourn

DH Trumbo

SP Tillman

Bench: Joseph, Flaherty, Alvarez, Mancini, Stubbs

Bullpen: Jimenez, Bundy, Worley, Duensing, Hunter, Hart, Givens, O'Day, Brach, Britton

That's what I'd go with. Alvarez and Mancini for thunder off the bench, Stubbs as a defensive replacement. 10 relievers. Bundy or Worley if you need to go to the pen early, Jimenez if it goes extra innings.

You think Stubbs is better than Reimold defensively?

I don't see it.

Yes, I do. I could be wrong about that, as I haven't seen Stubbs enough to really know. But I don't get a good vibe from Reimold these days.

I wouldn't be calling either of them a defensive replacement if it wasn't for Kim and Trumbo. But those two plays Nolan made the other night are a lot more than I have seen from Stubbs.

Archived