Pitch framing matters

LookitsPuck

Said all year. Wieters should be on first.

No. This ump has just been bad. Most of the umps do a good job now of days. This ump has been calling against the O's all game. '

At one point the commentator said the strike zone was in favor of the pitcher earlier in the game, but now the ump is calling a tighter game. He made the comment when the O's were pitching. The ump had a wide strike zone when the Blue Jays were pitching earlier in the game.

If Donaldson had scored after his double, I would have posted something on pitch framing. Russell Martin out-classed Wieters in that department, and I like Wieters a lot.

The difference between falling behind a hitter and getting ahead of a hitter is ... well ... LARGE. However, our relief pitching and defense bailed Wieters out of his area of weakness.

So, it doesn't matter how many things you type that are just dead wrong, you still feel fine about posting about your knowledge with a lot of ego exuding? You couldn't stay positive for a single game. Not one freaking game. A game that is still tied in the 11th.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW, that post was made when Wieters was batting. I believe it was a 3-1 count which should have been ball 4 but Martin framed a "strike". So when I say Wieters should be on first I meant as a base runner. Not as a defender. I just didn't explain it well.

And no I wouldn't have started Caleb.

Martin is one of the best I've seen at pulling the low pitches up into the zone without being too obvious about it. Personally, I think Wieters gets too much criticism here for his pitch framing, but I do think Martin is outstanding and gives the Blue Jays an edge over most other teams in that regard.

First? Like first base? With an 88 wRC+?

That's a replacement level player, at best.

He meant, the 3-1 pitch to Wieters should have been ball four and Wieters should have been on first base, as a baserunner. He was not talking about Wieters becoming a first baseman.

Maybe I just don't appreciate the art of pitch-framing, but I didn't think the missed ball/strike calls last night were affected by pitch framing. I thought they were just bad calls.

Maybe I'm being narrow-minded, but I don't understand how anyone who watched that game (or any of about 2/3 of the Orioles games down the stretch) can fail to see that electronic determinations of what pitches hit the strike zone would improve the game.

Maybe I just don't appreciate the art of pitch-framing, but I didn't think the missed ball/strike calls last night were affected by pitch framing. I thought they were just bad calls.

Maybe I'm being narrow-minded, but I don't understand how anyone who watched that game (or any of about 2/3 of the Orioles games down the stretch) can fail to see that electronic determinations of what pitches hit the strike zone would improve the game.

Part of the issue I have with folks trying to model the effects of framing is exactly that. I don't think there is a truly accurate way to differentiate why a call is made.

Archived