Would You Trade Chris Davis in a Salary Dump

Aristotelian

Would you offer Chris Davis and a B prospect (Mountcastle? Reyes?) for a D prospect  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Chris Davis and a B prospect (Mountcastle? Reyes?) for a D prospect

• Yes
    • No

I think rather than eating $80 million, I'd rather spend $1 million getting Chris's batting approach in order. Hire the absolute best hitting people, have his eyes examined. Get cyborg implants. Adjust his ADD meds. Send him on a hyperbaric-chamber vacation. Get calf implants. Assign him a full-time witch doctor to expunge evil spirits.

Davis OPS'd over .900 last year, and nearly .800 this year. He's far from a dumpster fire over the course of a long season. So I am okay with keeping him around for sure. But we need to surround him with more well-rounded hitters, IMO.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hated the contract when it was signed and hate it even more now, but you can't sign him to a historic long term deal when his value is high and then eat the contract after his value is low in year 1.

I'd move him if he has a bounce back year next season, because I still hate it long term. You can't do it now, you lie in the bed you made.

Drungo called me on the contract value in another thread. At $17 million a year his production this year probably earned it's value and is likely to do so for the next few years. This isn't Albert Belle bad and he certainly isn't Ryan Howard, yet. That said, eating any contract to would be poor. If you are going to trade Davis it would be in the next few years when the Orioles are bad and at the trade deadline when teams are more interested in winning and less interested the bottom line. The Orioles have Wieters, Trumbo and Alvarez (approx $28m) coming off the books. That should be more than enough to improve the team or make extensions. It's not like you are going to go find some value on the free agent market with the extra money they would gain from trading him.

I would not try to trade Davis this off season. Maybe next off season if Mancini proves he can handle 1B.

And it probably would not be a salary dump. It might trading him for someone else the O's needed with a salary attached to that player. (next off season)

I'd probably dump him if we could. I am by no means a Davis-basher, but the odds were that if we were going to get our money's worth out of his deal, it was going to have to be by his value exceeding his salary in the first 3-4 years to make up for the fact that we'll be paying him handsomely in his decline years. He was about worth his salary this year, but his value didn't exceed it, and so the remainder of his contract looks worse now.

That said, he won't be traded, so I hope he has a big year in 2017. He's certainly capable of it.

Man, I don't get this thread at all. We're paying him $17m per year plus a bunch of deferred money. He's led MLB in HR's two of the past four years and plays great defense. In what you guys are saying was a horrendous year and a horrible contract he put up an OPS+ of 107. Did we get what we wanted? No, but it wasn't some nightmare either.

He had OPS+'s of 121, 168, and 147 in 2012, 2013, and 2015 respectively. We didn't get that, but 107 is not terrible.

I would like to see him slap the ball against the shift with greater regularity though. I mean, he hit freakin' .337 in almost 1,000 AAA PA's... I gotta believe there's a chance at a greater BA with this guy.

For a bag of balls at this point to get rid of the dollar commitment.

Bigger question is why, when you are bidding against yourself for a players services (player is around 30+ years old), do you offer a 6 or 7 year contract? Offer four years with maybe slightly more money per year. By the time he is 34 or 35 the best years will be in the rearview mirror (unless he finds the Barry Bonds/Ponce de Leon fountain of youth).

Man, I don't get this thread at all. We're paying him $17m per year plus a bunch of deferred money. He's led MLB in HR's two of the past four years and plays great defense. In what you guys are saying was a horrendous year and a horrible contract he put up an OPS+ of 107. Did we get what we wanted? No, but it wasn't some nightmare either.

He had OPS+'s of 121, 168, and 147 in 2012, 2013, and 2015 respectively. We didn't get that, but 107 is not terrible.

I would like to see him slap the ball against the shift with greater regularity though. I mean, he hit freakin' .337 in almost 1,000 AAA PA's... I gotta believe there's a chance at a greater BA with this guy.

He was the 17th best offensive first baseman in baseball, and that's in year 1 of a 7 year deal. What does he look like in years 5, 6, and 7? That's the problem.

ummmmm.... we're talking about the O's right? Eating multi years and multi-millions to get rid of a player not named Jimenez or Gallardo? Whaaaaaat? I mean... Whhhhaaaaaaaaaatttttttt? man I need some of that stuff...

The scenario I am proposing would not have the O's eating much money. It would be a salary dump with little return.

I'd probably dump him if we could. I am by no means a Davis-basher, but the odds were that if we were going to get our money's worth out of his deal, it was going to have to be by his value exceeding his salary in the first 3-4 years to make up for the fact that we'll be paying him handsomely in his decline years. He was about worth his salary this year, but his value didn't exceed it, and so the remainder of his contract looks worse now.

That said, he won't be traded, so I hope he has a big year in 2017. He's certainly capable of it.

Serious question, 3.2 WAR is not worth $17M these days?

Archived