Disheartening quote from Duquette in this article

miggyfan

There were a number of balls he didn't have the range to make plays on that other Centerfielders would have made plays on.

Well that seems rather vague. Did you post at the time that Adam Jones got to them? Or could your provide some videos now?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe DD keeps targeting high-strikeout low-OBP DH-types not because he prefers them, but rather because that is the only thing other teams are willing to throw away into the offseason dumpster.

They come cheap, which kind of becomes a necessity when you have such little payroll flexibility.

If this is the case then his first off season signing will be Ryan Howard. Fits his type of signing perfectly.

Well that seems rather vague. Did you post at the time that Adam Jones got to them? Or could your provide some videos now?

Let's see, Fangraphs had him at 3 Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) in 2014 and 4 DRS in 2015 so obviously they don't have any bias against him.

He was at -10 this year.

Baseball reference had him at .8 dWAR in 2014-2015.

He was at -.6 this year.

He had a bad year in the field.

And no I am not going to go hunt down balls falling in front or behind him.

Let's see, Fangraphs had him at 3 Defensive Runs Saved (DRS) in 2014 and 4 DRS in 2015 so obviously they don't have any bias against him.

He was at -10 this year.

Baseball reference had him at .8 dWAR in 2014-2015.

He was at -.6 this year.

He had a bad year in the field.

And no I am not going to go hunt down balls falling in front or behind him.

Do you watch the games or do you just use read some formula?

Do you watch the games or do you just use read some formula?

I watched the games.

I told you what I saw.

You evidently didn't watch the games and wanted me to hunt up some video evidence.

I showed you statistical evidence of his decline this season in lieu of spending my time hunting through game clips.

I didn't find DD's comments disheartening for a couple of reasons. First, I have come to terms that the Orioles want to win as many games as they can within their budget. The goal is to have a winning year and make the postseason. Second, DD clearly recognizes OBP as a need and I'm confident he also recognizes some of the defensive weaknesses. The plan was to have Fowler in right last year, so addressing OF defense and OBP was a goal, DD just didn't accomplish the goal. I hope DD is more successful this year. If you listen to the press conference or read the whole article about the press conference, then his quotes are not nearly as ominous sounding or cluless as the thread title suggests.

I watched the games.

I told you what I saw.

You evidently didn't watch the games and wanted me to hunt up some video evidence.

I showed you statistical evidence of his decline this season in lieu of spending my time hunting through game clips.

Baseball Referecne has Rtot/yr of 0 runs. That would mean his range is completely average for a center fielder.

So given the quote. Britton stays, some effort is made to keep or replace Trumbo's power, and corner of defense needs to vastly improve. I don't see a place for Kim in his comments, at least not how Buck views Kim's defense. I see an off season that brings in:

A new DH or trumbo

A new long man

A new corner OF

Wieters or a replacement

The long man will be acquired early in the off season. Dan will let the market settle and we will get the best deal on the other two positions.

So I think the off season is: resign Wieters or sign Iannetta, sign Vogelsong, sign Brandon Moss, sign Franklin Gutierrez

Either way, I don't think "accomplishing goals" and Dan's philosophy of picking players off the scrapheap work together. Either you know what you want and actively pursue it it, or you let other teams push you around and take what's left (see one dexter fowler).

Archived