Prospect Hoarding

downsouth

With the recent success of teams such as the Cubs and Astros who were cellar dwellers for years drafting high and trading for prospects, it seems like this has become the theory for many posters on here. I just don't understand how that plan would relate to the Orioles. We have a team who is built to win now, the championship window is open for a couple more years, and we were a playoff team this year. I just don't think the answer would be to tear the team down and move all tradable assets for prospects. I understand a few long term type moves to try and keep the window open as long as possible, but not a complete rebuild. I think we can continue to be a playoff team for the next couple years, and possibly a WS type team with a few minor tweaks. I guess what im asking is don't yall think a 33 year drought is long enough? Id personally be trying as hard as I could to kick the door down and win one, it may not be pretty 5 years from now, but a WS title will make you forget about a few bad years.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Cubs have Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, and Hammel in their staff. None prospects when they acquired them and all in their 30's.

Jason Heyward, Montero, Fowler and Zobrist weren't prospects when they acquired them. Seems like we have more prospects we have brought up than them.

With the recent success of teams such as the Cubs and Astros who were cellar dwellers for years drafting high and trading for prospects, it seems like this has become the theory for many posters on here. I just don't understand how that plan would relate to the Orioles. We have a team who is built to win now, the championship window is open for a couple more years, and we were a playoff team this year. I just don't think the answer would be to tear the team down and move all tradable assets for prospects. I understand a few long term type moves to try and keep the window open as long as possible, but not a complete rebuild. I think we can continue to be a playoff team for the next couple years, and possibly a WS type team with a few minor tweaks. I guess what im asking is don't yall think a 33 year drought is long enough? Id personally be trying as hard as I could to kick the door down and win one, it may not be pretty 5 years from now, but a WS title will make you forget about a few bad years.

Not really. 33 years is long, but the last five have not been a drought. Don't count on any money being spent after the dismal attendance this season.

I was just wondering what they thought was a "minor tweak". To me replacing Flaherty as utility infielder would constitute a minor tweak. Signing Fowler would not.

Fowler on a short-term deal would be a minor tweak compared to Sweaty Palms Davis. ;) He doesn't have a problem with the hand that, of course, will get better as he ages. It's just embarrassing at parties. :o

What "minor tweaks" do you have in mind?

By minor tweaks I meant a trade here or there that may improve the ball club. Maybe trading away a bullpen piece in the offseason or at the deadline to add an everyday player who can get on base and set the table for the rest of the team

The Cubs have Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, and Hammel in their staff. None prospects when they acquired them and all in their 30's.

Jason Heyward, Montero, Fowler and Zobrist weren't prospects when they acquired them. Seems like we have more prospects we have brought up than them.

No they werent, but Bryant, Russell, Baez, Hendricks, Contreras, Schwarber, and Almora were.

We should keep trying to win until it's clear that we are not going to be able to. At that point it needs to be fire sale time based on the aging core and lack of replacements in the farm system.

If I'm Duquette I would be doing everything I can to win in 2017, but if things aren't looking good at the end of July I'm moving all these tradable assets that are getting close to free agency: Britton, Tillman, Jones, Hardy, Kim, even Machado if a LTD is not worked out. You wait another year and it's too late.

I don't get the whole window closing thing. We have a decent amount of good to ok lower level prospects that should be starting to appear by 2018 - 2019.

Machado, Gausman, Bundy, Schoop, Givens will all be entering their prime around 2018. Other veterans will still be good too.

Cisco and Mancini will be young, cost controlled and servicable to bridge the gap.

Then we have Sedlock, Harvey (have faith he comes back like Bundy), Akin, Hays, Mountcastle, Dietz, Stewart, Peralta, Reyes, Cleavinger.

There are probably more and a few surprises that will still become serviceable.

All of these guys won't be a hit, but I think we will get enough from these cost controlled guys to afford quality free agents.

Plus, I agree with others in a different thread about trading from the bullpen. It seems like the next man up is always just as good as the guy who just left the pen.

Lastly, we still have 2 more drafts until the window closes.

I think they are in a decent place to keep winning, but you never know.

Archived