Boston Got Hot Way Too Early.

ORIOLE33

I just looked it up. Actually from what I saw, Texas has a -4 run differential. St Louis, who didn't make the playoffs, has a +62 run differential, I believe. You're telling me St Louis was better than Texas this year?

What was the quality difference between the two leagues? Recently an average AL team would be about a .530 team playing NL opponents, so that's 50 or 60 runs. To, to the best of our knowledge, Texas and St. Louis were of very similar quality.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty much yea. You think the Rangers would beat them in a best of five?

Anything is possible in baseball. The Rays could beat them in a 5 game set. Did you honestly believe Cleveland was going to sweep Boston or did you think they were going to beat them? I sure didn't.

Anything is possible in baseball. The Rays could beat them in a 5 game set. Did you honestly believe Cleveland was going to sweep Boston or did you think they were going to beat them? I sure didn't.

Almost all playoff series in baseball are coin flips with very slightly loaded coins. Even over a full 162-game schedule random variation has as much impact as the true talent difference between a .500 team and a 90-win team.

I was convinced that Boston was going to win the World Series. Thank goodness for the Indians.

I don't know what was going on in Bud Selig's devious mind, but we can thank him for a playoff system that gives a 110-win team roughly a 30% chance of hoisting the trophy. They'll never flatten the market advantages of the Yanks/Sox/Dodgers, so they randomized the outcome of the playoffs.

I don't ever expect to see a sweep.

I figured Boston was the better team. Factoring home field I guess I would have put the odds at something like 53/47 going in? Maybe?

I don't know what was going on in Bud Selig's devious mind, but we can thank him for a playoff system that gives a 110-win team roughly a 30% chance of hoisting the trophy. They'll never flatten the market advantages of the Yanks/Sox/Dodgers, so they randomized the outcome of the playoffs.

I agree. I just thought that with how hot they were and it being Ortiz' last year, that they felt "destined" to win it.

Like the Ravens in Ray Lewis' last year.

Boston's pitching and youth got exposed. Porcello gave a weak performance at the wrong time and David Price still has never won a postseason game. Great Red Sox teams of the recent past had much grittier pitchers. The Red Sox offeason should be as interesting as the O's, but they'll be in the thick of it next season.

I thought Cleveland had a good chance to beat Boston but not sweep them. Maybe the Indians are that good. Toronto/Cleveland should be fun.

Boston's pitching and youth got exposed. Porcello gave a weak performance at the wrong time and David Price still has never won a postseason game. Great Red Sox teams of the recent past had much grittier pitchers. The Red Sox offeason should be as interesting as the O's, but they'll be in the thick of it next season.

I thought Cleveland had a good chance to beat Boston but not sweep them. Maybe the Indians are that good. Toronto/Cleveland should be fun.

Porcello and Price and Ortiz and Ramirez and Pedroia and Bradey all went cold at the same time! And Sandy Leon did not bat .500

o

If you aren't taking direct shots at the Orioles, you are championing their intra-division rivals (the Blue Jays and the Red Sox.)

So now you are making excuses for the Red Sox, and going full steam ahead with the Blue Jays.

Can This Team Win a Championship the Way It's Constructed? (ORIOLE33 Says No)

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/153223-Can-This-Team-Win-A-Championship-The-Way-It-s-Constructed

If This Team Collapse For The Second Straight Year, Doesn't Buck Have To Take A Hit?

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/154473-If-This-Team-Collapse-For-The-Second-Straight-Year-Doesn-t-Buck-Have-To-Take-A-Hit

Hate Saying This, But It is Looking Like the Orioles Could Be The Odd Team Out

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/154415-Hate-Saying-This-But-It-Is-Looking-Like-The-Orioles-Could-Be-The-Odd-Team-Out

I'm Just Amazed At How Boston And Toronto Can Impose Their Will On The Orioles So Easily

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/154896-I-m-Just-Amazed-At-How-Boston-And-Toronto-Can-Impose-Their-Will-On-The-Orioles-So-Easily

If This Team Messes Around, and Finishes Behind the Yankees ...

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/154822-If-This-Team-Mess-Around-And-Finish-Behind-The-Yankees

Unlike you, I'm not some hater that just hate for the sake of hating. Like it or not, Toronto is playing some good ass ball right now and I don't care if they win or lose. I don't have a distaign hate against Toronto just because they're in our division. The only team I truly don't like is the Yankees and to a lesser degree the Red Sox. Mainly because the Yankees have way more bandwagon fans than anyone else.

One more thing you don't seem to understand is that people tend to be MUCH more critical of something they follow or like. I'm olso a Redskins fan and I'm much more critical of them than I am of the Cowboys, Giants or Eagles. The O's are no different. If another team is playing better, I won't hesitate on saying it. If we're playing better, I usually say nothing out of fear of jinxing it.

So know the WHOLE story before questioning someone's fandom.

PS, I've been an O's fan since the late 70's/early 80's.

Archived