Boston Got Hot Way Too Early.

ORIOLE33

Boston's pitching and youth got exposed. Porcello gave a weak performance at the wrong time and David Price still has never won a postseason game. Great Red Sox teams of the recent past had much grittier pitchers. The Red Sox offeason should be as interesting as the O's, but they'll be in the thick of it next season.

I thought Cleveland had a good chance to beat Boston but not sweep them. Maybe the Indians are that good. Toronto/Cleveland should be fun.

I wonder if they get Encarnacion or Holliday to DH.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When they beat us, the Red Sox were unbelievably hot. They looked like the best team in the AL by a wide margin. But I thought then, "they're peaking way too early." Toronto on the other hand, are peaking right at the right time. Late September/early October is the perfect time to play your best. And the way Toronto beat us, I have a feeling will carry them to a title.

I fully expect Toronto to roll right over Cleveland.

o

The Red Sox did not get hot too early. The Indians simply imposed their will on them.

And yes, the blueprint for post-season success is to do what the Blue Jays did. They were 77-59 and in 1st place on September 4th. They proceeded to go 10-14 over their next 24 games, knocking themselves out of the division title, and needing to win their final 2 games of the season to squeak into the playoffs as a Wildcard. So there was nothing surprising about the Blue Jays just getting by the Orioles in extra innings in the Wild Card playoff game, and then sweeping the Ranger in the A.L.D.S. That's the way that John Gibbons and company drew it up on the chalkboard last month.

o

The Red Sox did not get hot too early. The Indians simply imposed their will on them.

And yes, the blueprint for post-season success is to do what the Blue Jays did. They were 77-59 and in 1st place on September 4th. They proceeded to go 10-14 over their next 24 games, knocking themselves out of the division title, and needing to win their final 2 games of the season to squeak into the playoffs as a Wildcard. So there was nothing surprising about the Blue Jays just getting by the Orioles in extra innings in the Wild Card playoff game, and then sweeping the Ranger in the A.L.D.S. That's the way that John Gibbons and company drew it up on the chalkboard last month.

It was pretty much a shock that they even made it. I was pretty sure that Detroit would be there.

I'd be surprised if they don't go hard after Encarnacion. One way or another, either Boston or Toronto or both, will get weaker next year.

The Yankees are still a year or two off, so this is prime time to make a run. Toronto would be my guess to be the weakest out of the top 3 AL East teams this year due to how many guys they have leaving. That middle BP is gonna SUCK

Unlike you, I'm not some hater that just hate for the sake of hating. Like it or not, Toronto is playing some good ass ball right now and I don't care if they win or lose. I don't have a distaign hate against Toronto just because they're in our division. The only team I truly don't like is the Yankees and to a lesser degree the Red Sox. Mainly because the Yankees have way more bandwagon fans than anyone else.

One more thing you don't seem to understand is that people tend to be MUCH more critical of something they follow or like. I'm olso a Redskins fan and I'm much more critical of them than I am of the Cowboys, Giants or Eagles. The O's are no different. If another team is playing better, I won't hesitate on saying it. If we're playing better, I usually say nothing out of fear of jinxing it.

So know the WHOLE story before questioning someone's fandom.

PS, I've been an O's fan since the late 70's/early 80's.

o

Yes that's me ...... known primarily as a hater here on the OH. Just hating for the sake of hating.

And yes, I understand that you have been a fan of the Orioles since President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, and I have a lot of nerve to even dream of questioning it.

o

Yes that's me ...... known primarily as a hater here on the OH. Just hating for the sake of hating.

And yes, I understand that you have been a fan of the Orioles since President Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation, and I have a lot of nerve to even dream of questioning it.

LOL...You do seem like you gotta a lot of hate in your game.

o

It was pretty much a shock that they even made it. I was pretty sure that Detroit would be there.

o

The Blue Jays just got by the Red Sox in the final 2 games of the season to secure the homefield advantage in the Wildcard playoff game. Both the Orioles and the Blue Jays benefited from the Tigers' failure against the Braves in the final 2 games of the season.

The Blue Jays staggered into the postseason, they didn't steamroll into it, as did the Colorado Rockies in 2007.

o

The Blue Jays just got by the Red Sox in the final 2 games of the season to secure the homefield advantage in the Wildcard playoff game.

The Blue Jays staggered into the postseason.

Beating the best team in the AL East on the road is staggering into the playoffs? And don't tell me, "they just got by." It's baseball, they won when they had to.

o

The Blue Jays just got by the Red Sox in the final 2 games of the season to secure the homefield advantage in the Wildcard playoff game. Both the Orioles and the Blue Jays benefited from the Tigers' failure against the Braves in the final 2 games of the season.

The Blue Jays staggered into the postseason, they didn't steamroll into it, as did the Colorado Rockies in 2007.

Beating the best team in the AL East on the road is staggering into the playoffs? And don't tell me, "they just got by." It's baseball, they won when they had to.

o

The premise of your OP is that the Blue Jays got hot at the right time/are peaking at the right time, as opposed to the Red Sox, who peaked too early. I will debunk that assertion with facts, not just my rat's ass of an opinion.

On October 1st, the Blue Jays were sitting in the 2nd Wildcard spot, and in danger of not making the playoffs at all. They won the final 2 games of the season. That is your definition of "getting hot at the right time?" To blow the division in the final month of the season, and to barely get into the playoffs as a Wildcard in the final 2 games of the season?

The Blue Jays did not get hot at the right time. They had a solid season overall, which allowed them to sustain a late-season swoon, and still make the postseason as a Wildcard. And the Red Sox did not peak too early. They dominated the final month of the season to turn back 2 contenders (the Orioles and the Blue Jays) to win the division title, and they were beaten by a very good Indians team in a short playoff series, which is no more shocking than if they had beaten the Indians in said short playoff series. According to your logic, the Red Sox would have been better off playing mediocre baseball in September (as did the Blue Jays), and then "gotten hot" by winning the last 2 games of the season to secure a one-game playoff game against the Orioles ...... and if they had done that, they would surely still be playing baseball right now, as opposed to them peaking early, and winning the division title (and subsequently avoiding the one-game playoff) as they did.

LOL... Why be rude? Insecurity problems? Dude, you take this way too serious.

I believe Boston was due to comeback down to earth from the way they were playing when they swept us. Like it or not, Toronto is hitting their stride at the right time I believe they will roll over the Indians. Most because I see Toronto as being similar to the O's. I think they're a bad matchup for the Indians. If they're hitting, way too much offense.

o

The premise of your OP is that the Blue Jays got hot at the right time/are peaking at the right time, as opposed to the Red Sox, who peaked too early. I will debunk that assertion with facts, not just my rat's ass of an opinion.

On October 1st, the Blue Jays were sitting in the 2nd Wildcard spot, and in danger of not making the playoffs at all. They won the final 2 games of the season. That is your definition of "getting hot at the right time?" To blow the division in the final month of the season, and to barely get into the playoffs as a Wildcard in the final 2 games of the season?

The Blue Jays did not get hot at the right time. They had a solid season overall, which allowed them to sustain a late-season swoon, and still make the postseason as a Wildcard. And the Red Sox did not peak too early. They dominated the final month of the season to turn back 2 contenders (the Orioles and the Blue Jays) to win the division title, and they were beaten by a very good Indians team in a short playoff series, which is no more shocking than if they had beaten the Indians in said short playoff series. According to your logic, the Red Sox would have been better off playing mediocre baseball in September (as did the Blue Jays), and then "gotten hot" by winning the last 2 games of the season to secure a one-game playoff game against the Orioles ...... and if they had done that, they would surely still be playing baseball right now, as opposed to them peaking early, and winning the division title (and subsequently avoiding the one-game playoff) as they did.

LOL... Why be rude? Insecurity problems? Dude, you take this way too serious.

I believe Boston was due to comeback down to earth from the way they were playing when they swept us. Like it or not, Toronto is hitting their stride at the right time I believe they will roll over the Indians. Most because I see Toronto as being similar to the O's. I think they're a bad matchup for the Indians. If they're hitting, way too much offense.

o

Other than perhaps you not liking me pointing out that the premise of your OP was questionable, what was rude about my response?

You asked me a question, and I answered it, thoroughly.

Archived