Dylan Bundy's future

brianod

I've read many posts on this board counting on him to be our ace next year. I don't think we should depend on that. I think he should still be babied. If he's able to be a dependable #4 and stay healthy, i'd be really happy with that. If I was DD, I would try to get that out of him and still limit his innings. After next year, we could have Gausmen, Bundy and Harvey in the rotation. That's the future, but let's be patient and wise about it.

I've read many posts on this board counting on him to be our ace next year. I don't think we should depend on that. I think he should still be babied. If he's able to be a dependable #4 and stay healthy, i'd be really happy with that. If I was DD, I would try to get that out of him and still limit his innings. After next year, we could have Gausmen, Bundy and Harvey in the rotation. That's the future, but let's be patient and wise about it.

I think he'll need to be babied a little... 5 1/3, 5 2/3's instead pushing him longer like Buck is wont to do. Extra day's rest whenever Buck can get it. But I think he starts from April to September/October with no problems.

I think he's ace-like... in the way Vanimal was this year. No way the top of the staff but always rising to the occasion. Stepping up. He's a very smart, tough dude.

300 innings of 4 ERA between him and Gausman would be like a dream.

They threw 289.1 IP to a 3.76 ERA collectively this year. I realize that some of Bundy's innings were in relief, and that their collective xFIP was a bit higher (4.25, I know you are a fan of that stat), but if I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming of 450 innings at 3.75 ERA or lower.

They threw 289.1 IP to a 3.76 ERA collectively this year. I realize that some of Bundy's innings were in relief, and that their collective xFIP was a bit higher (4.25, I know you are a fan of that stat), but if I'm dreaming, I'm dreaming of 450 innings at 3.75 ERA or lower.

That's a great dream especially if you play in the best division in all baseball the AL East.

I dont think you are unrealistic, they have that protential to do just that.

I just want to caution those posters and that expect superior things from both of things.

I think they both will throw their share of gems, but they will both have some clunkers, and by the end of the season, I suspect the overall quality of work, should be good to very good. IMO.

With Jimenez, Gallardo and Miley at the bottom of the rotation I would expect 160 innings for Bundy at the least assuming health. Next year is the last year of the current "competitive window" and Showalter doesn't seem to be shy about squeezing every drop out of his regulars.

No reason to annoint him ace status yet.

Let him build into that role by pitching and showing he can do the job.

For now, Tilly is the front of the rotation, and having Gausman and Bundy as 2 & 3 or 3 & 2 isn't a bad thing.

I think Bundy will be a solid 3-4 over the next two years. After that, then I think he gets to ace status.

My point is that expecting them to repeat 2015 is almost the best case scenario. We can dream they both take a step forward and stay healthy all year, but that pretty unrealistic imo. Dream was probably the wrong word, tbf.

He may be an ace in terms of performance at times next year, but I'd make him our 5th starter coming out of ST. That way you can skip him every now and then when the off days allow to keep him fresh, and not put too many innings on his arm. He threw 109 inning this year, which was about 40 more than I was expecting, so I would think they'd like to keep him around 150-160 IP next season, assuming all goes well and he's healthy all season. If he's the 5th starter, that should be a very reasonable number and easy to make.

Some really good points made by everyone in both the Bundy and Gausman threads. They both need to limit the HR's.

Gausman- 179.2 IP 28 HR 1.4 HR/9

Bundy- 109.2 IP 18 HR 1.5 HR/9

For comparison sakes:

Tillman- 1.0 HR/9

Ubaldo- 1.0 HR/9

Gallardo- 1.2 HR/9

Miley- 1.2 HR/9

Wilson- 1.4 HR/9

Wright- 1.4 HR/9

I realize we play in OPACY. HR's get hit there, but if they can cut that rate down to 1.0-1.2 HR/9, that can be the difference in ERA right there.

Here's the step forward that I'm rooting for.

Gausman 35 GS 200 IP 3.50 ERA

Bundy 30 GS 160 IP 3.50 ERA

I'd be happy with that but I wouldn't be surprised if they were a tad better. Gausman and Bundy need to get put guys away when they are ahead in the count. That should get better with experience and may get better with a different catcher.

Archived