Trade Idea - Colorado

Answerman

Yeah, I'm not seeing any team wanting to trade a Bundy or Britton, or anything near that, for one year of CarGo at $20 million. I think it is very likely that CarGo stays in Colorado this year, but not because that's what the Rockies want. I just don't think he is a very attractive target, given his salary, splits, and short term. JMO.

I agree with this completely. Wonder if, by offering bullpen pieces not named Britton, we could dislodge Cargo... Givens, Brach, O'Day..., some combination of any of those?

They would need Scott too. If not more. For that same money Baltimore could keep their pitching depth aND prospect and sign a free agent. Given their recent success the free agent, if a one year deal, might be a better bet to put up numbers justifying a QO. The Orioles need to capitalize on that reputation of rehabbing hitters. Just as pittsburgh does with starting pitchers.

I'm not sure this is true anymore. Colorado thinks they can compete this year, now that they've added a ton of extremely talented young pitchers. In my eyes they're a few good relievers and one veteran 1B away from being an 85-88 win team.

C:Tom Murphy

1B:TBD

2B:Lemahieu

3B:Arenado

SS:Story

RF:Cargo

CF:Blackmon

LF:Dahl

SP: Jon Gray,Tyler Anderson,Chad Bettis,Tyler Chatwood,Jeff Hoffman

They've also got a ton of trade pieces out there like Raimel Tapia, Kyle Freeland,Brendan Rodgers,Antonio Senzatela, Riley Pint, Ryan McMahon, etc

Would they have the means to pay for Trumbo?

Extend Gonzalez?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/rockies-interested-in-extension-for-carlos-gonzalez.html?fv-home=true&post-id=77936

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind, the original thought was to trade one of Jimenez/Gallardo/Miley to prevent the huge salary uptick. Trading a bullpen guy, or only prospects, doesn't work for us. We have to send back some salary in this deal. The prospects are just sweeteners. However, I don't think too much sweetening is needed.

I think both general fans and the Rockies themselves tend to overvalue Coors players. I've watched Rockies broadcasts and even on national broadcasts they are routinely praised for having a great offense. People see the raw stats and the runs they score and immediately think it's a good offense. The Coors effect is very significant. The Rockies scored the second most runs in baseball last season behind only the Red Sox and well ahead of the second place Cubs. However, adjusting for context using wRC+ they were 22nd with a 92. That's a below average offensive team.

That causes people to see Carlos Gonzalez slash .298/.350/.505 and be inclined to value him highly. In reality, that's a 108 wRC+, only slightly above league average. Couple that with declining defense and you have a 1.9 win player. He's league average but being paid like a very good player. It shouldn't take much to get him, but I have a suspicion it will cost more than it should.

Why would Colorado do this deal??? If we want to include Jimenez in a trade for Gonzalez then we gotta sweeten the pot a bit. Maybe Jimenez, Mancini, Drake gets it done? I probably wouldn't do that though for a $20 million RF.

If they took Jimenez, he'd be a $6 million RF. I doubt the Rockies would even want Jimenez. Some team will take Cargo full salary

Colorado is trying to extend him. If that doesn't happen, I suspect he'll be traded. Jimenez won't get it done. Cargo is a good player, Coors field or not. He'd rake at OPACY. Then we'd get another pick when he leaves. Would Bradwell get it done?

Myra Bradwell? She has to be dead by now.

Bridwell is no good either.

Archived