Orioles told Bautista's reps...Orioles fans don't like him

Dark Helmet

On 12/6/2016 at 7:14 PM, Hallas said:

Maybe.  Would we love him if he got knocked out by Rougned Odor because he was mouthing off?  Not sure I would.

No one really liked Belle when he was an Oriole.  They tolerated him.  I don't think you want one of your star players to be merely tolerated by your fan base.

I was there and he was the toast of town in his first season. He hit a 3-run homer on Opening Day and got a curtain call. That is not being tolerated. Things soured only after he got injured.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

I was there and he was the toast of town in his first season. He hit a 3-run homer on Opening Day and got a curtain call. That is not being tolerated. Things soured only after he got injured.

That certainly wasn't me.

I'm sure a lot of fans out there would give Bautista a curtain call if he hit a walk off or something.  Most of them aren't us posters on the message board.

9 hours ago, Aglets said:

Courtesy of ESPN.  Regardless of whether or not this is true (it probably is), is it really wise for Dan to go on national radio and lambast Bautista like that?   I wonder what other free agents might think about that.

Dan didn't, Joey's agent did.

On 12/7/2016 at 11:49 AM, webbrick2010 said:

Ridiculous thing to say

Professional response. We don't feel his skills are a fit for our team

More ammo for National media, and baseball people in general to use to paint the O's as a goofy organization

I don't think lying is very professional either. Bautista's skills would be a pretty good fit for our team. His cost might not be a fit, but that is open to debate.

It doesn't seem like a very contentious  statement to say that a lot of O's fans think he is a D-bag. Dan said that we aren't pursuing him mostly because a lot of our fans think he is a D-bag. That seems like a perfectly logical, unsurprising and rather obvious statement to me.  I don't get all the hullabaloo. The O's are known for making decisions based on things like loyalty and sentimentality.  This is entirely consistent.

Poor Bautista....a GM said out loud that some fans think he is a D-bag.  I ain't losing any sleep.

On 12/7/2016 at 3:05 PM, Roy Firestone said:

I dont know about the fans,but I know THIS fan cant stand him. By the way, he was once an Oriole.

But if they traded for him and he said some sweet nothings about Bomore, wouldn't your feelings about him change?  How bout after he hits one out on opening day?  

Fickle is the fan who feasts on... Fridays?  See, this is why I have a day job and didn't go into poetry.    

I thought this whole thing was hilarious, personally.  And I really wouldn't have been happy about the O's signing Bautista.  I can't stand him, and given his age and injuries lately, and the loss of a pick that would go with it, and I think it would have the potential to be a disaster, especially since I don't think he is going to settle for a short, reasonable contract.

But really, I just took the whole thing to mean that Buck and/or the players don't like Bautista and don't want him on their team.  Which doesn't surprise me.  Saying that to his agent would have REALLY been unprofessional, though.   

11 hours ago, fansince71 said:

Yep i think its awesome what DD said. Everybody in baseball knows he's a d*ck. There's no way Buck would tolerate his behavior.

And yet the organization (Buck) had no trouble embracing a player that took a 50 game PED suspension, making himself unavailable for a playoff run, even rewarding him with a way over market contract

I guess if you hurt your team by being addicted to stimulants you're a victim and deserve support and 161 million dollars. If you go to work everyday, piss off your opponents by being a jerk but provide a lot of value to your team than you're not wanted by the O's

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

And yet the organization (Buck) had no trouble embracing a player that took a 50 game PED suspension, making himself unavailable for a playoff run, even rewarding him with a way over market contract

I guess if you hurt your team by being addicted to stimulants you're a victim and deserve support and 161 million dollars. If you go to work everyday, piss off your opponents by being a jerk but provide a lot of value to your team than you're not wanted by the O's

So playing 118 games or less three of the last five years is "going to work everyday"?

Did Bautista not get himself suspended last season?

And you want the Orioles to give up a draft pick for a 36 year old?

Archived